Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
From this series, I learned that the Vikings did not use horses. They don't seem to use other animals to pull carts or plows. The English had horses, I guess they were introduced through the Roman occupation. Despite having the advantage of a kind of cavalry, the Vikings were able to infiltrate Briton.
The British had much more of a flat even area to use the horses as well. And more grass to feed them. I imagine the rough, mountainous areas would have been difficult for the Vikings to use horses unless they had a smaller breed than the ones used in England. The Cornish or Welch horses might have fit. Feeding them in winter would have been problematical as well.

The Vikings often raided the sea coast with fast, devistating in and out raids. They also had reputation and surprise on their side. The sight of the ship coming into the harbor itself was psychological warfare.

Its so awesome that the ship they sail in the show was actually built from scrach just as the Vikings would have built it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
And it looks like he'll be moving on to the possible second wife soon. I had read that he marries a second time to a swedish princess after this wife. From the coming attractions, it looks like they're going that way.

But I still don't get why he's praying for a son when he already has one. If he's heard a prophecy that he'll have lots of sons, then you'd think he'd just relax about it.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I completely agree with you about the passage of time. I do want to point out that the book/Bible did not crumble all on it's own though. If you'll remember, the previous Earl burned down Ragnar's home, so if the book was under a floor board, it still would've incurred damage by the fire.

So yes, much time has passed, but I don't think it was THAT much time because of the fire.

I also think that Ragnar was aware that they (the other holy men) wanted to use the priest as the sacrifice and the way Ragnar looked at him was with sad eyes. I don't think it pleased him but that was the way it was going to be. Of course, he seemed rather pleased that he was saved but also bittersweet because his warrior guy made the decision to be the sacrifice.

I don't think that had anything to do with Ragnars' deal with the King. I love that Donal Logue is playing that character...very interesting. So I suppose Ragnar's team of fighting men will go to the north to "persuade" the other Earl (some title) to give up the disputed lands of the King. And the King will owe him...I see that as being an interesting play that will become useful later.

I can't believe we only have one episode left. Where did the time go? We need more!! Maybe it'll be like The Walking Dead...the first season was only six episodes...but then it got popular and doubled. I'd like to see Vikings "double"!!
I hadn't thought about the fire. But somehow symbolically its destruction stand for the changes in the priest and that there was no way back.

I agree Ragnar knew, and certainly the priest didn't expect. Maybe he suspected he might be found wanting too. Their relationship is interesting as its so hard to define.

His deal with the king is likely not going to be what Ragnar expects. So now his merry band go after their own. He is approaching it as a deal which gets him more than he can get alone, but Ragnar is a local chiftan and the king is a king. One of the results of all the goods which came from raids was the centralization of power, and the discovery of Greenland came in part from those who wished to get away from it.

Gotta have more episodes. I mean, they built a ship and everything. Not being a zombie fan, I've never watched the Walking dead, but maybe since I've had so many who like what I like watch it I'll have to.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Vikings is ending but dont forget the borgias just started.

Anyways im kind of dissapointed to see his buddy sacrifice himself. I liked him and his wierd haircut.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
...Ragnar is a local chiftan and the king is a king.
Indeed, and I'm sure that will come into play. When King Horik told Ragnar that he was tired of earl's "getting in his way" (to paraphrase), it cast an uneasiness over the setting - Ragnar had this look of "oh crap".

Well played.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
He basically said he was tired of ambitious earls and we all know ragnar is most ambitious

Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM

159 posts, read 263,700 times
SPOILER ALERT ****************************

if the priest is smart he will run for the hills, his life means nothing to the savage vikings, especially Ragnar LothBrook, hopefully he will be Ragnar's undoing in the end, i wouldnt trust those pagans for anything, watch your back priest!!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Indeed, and I'm sure that will come into play. When King Horik told Ragnar that he was tired of earl's "getting in his way" (to paraphrase), it cast an uneasiness over the setting - Ragnar had this look of "oh crap".

Well played.
Yes, that was. I think he was thinking of a more equal partnership. And at that point he couldn't just say I think I have changed my mind....

Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
And it looks like he'll be moving on to the possible second wife soon. I had read that he marries a second time to a swedish princess after this wife. From the coming attractions, it looks like they're going that way.

But I still don't get why he's praying for a son when he already has one. If he's heard a prophecy that he'll have lots of sons, then you'd think he'd just relax about it.
You wanted lots of sons because your legacy was carried on that way. Daughters were marriage material. Sons carried your family. And it was not a kind world for children so one son was a liability that you would have none grow up.

I wonder what the position of a son from a first marriage was when there were sons of a second one of higher rank.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The prophecy was that Ragnar would have many sons; but that does not mean that she would be the one to bear the many sons.

The expectation is that a man needed many sons to follow him in battle. Yes, there were some women in some battles but it was men that were needed to crew a boat and to give great reputation to a father.

History has it that Ragnar had three sons and that they were great warlords who conquered all but one of the Kingdoms of 'England'.
Wonder if any of them were Leif Errickson or Eric the Red ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV