Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,236,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
How the numbers were related to Hurley was explained perfectly. In fact, there was an entire episode about it.

Hurley was in the hospital with a guy who just repeated those numbers over and over again. That guy got the numbers because he use to be some kind of sailor and heard Rousseau's distress call over the radio which used the numbers as well. I may be a little off but that is basically how that went down.

The numbers had significance because they were just used over and over again. Rousseau found the numbers on the island from Dharma stuff, a sailor heard them on the distress call, Hurley heard them from the sailor and used them on the lottery ticket, and then Hurley finds the numbers on the Dharma hatch.

It is basically just a circle of coincidence and not nearly as big of deal as people are making it out to be.
You might want to re-watch the relevant episodes.

The numbers "4-8-15-16-23-42" were being broadcast repeatedly on a reiteration loop (the Numbers Tape) from the station in the radio tower on the Island.

Leonard was a member of the US Navy, and Sam a member of the Australian Navy, and both were working together at an ANZUS communications site (very similar to the NATO site at Incirlik, Turkey) monitoring long-range radio communications. Without going into detail, suffice to say that satellite was not the primary means of communication by military forces around the world in 1988.

Both Sam and Leonard heard the Numbers Tape, and both went a little insane, with Sam committing suicide, and Leonard ending up at a psychiatric hospital.

At about the same time (ie some time in 1988), Rousseau's crew heard the Numbers Tape being broadcast and changed course to investigate, with the end result being a storm sinks their ship and they end up on the Island.

The Dharma Initiative had already been purged 4 years earlier in 1984 when Sam & Leonard, and Rousseau & Crew heard the Numbers Tape in 1988.

After Rousseau killed her crew, she went to the radio tower and made a new cart for the tape machine recording her plea for help. That tape played for 16 years until Sayid hears it in 2004.

In "The Beginning of the End" Jack & Company go to the radio tower with Rousseau and Naomi to stop the broadcast of Rousseau's SOS tape while Charlie turns off the jamming equipment at the Looking Glass station.

Sometime between Christmas Day 2004 and 2007 when Flight 316 returns, someone went back to the radio tower and started broadcasting the Numbers Tape again.

We know that, because when Flight 316 crash lands, the co-pilot switches on the cockpit radio to broadcast a Mayday Call and you can here the Numbers Tape quite clearly being played and the signal is jamming the frequency the co-pilot is trying to broadcast on (so his Mayday Call is never heard).

When FLocke and Sawyer are in the cave, Sawyer asks about the numbers and Flocke says, "Jacob had a thing for numbers." Then later we find out the numbers are actually related to the 360 degree wheel in the light house.

The numbers are more than just coincidence. For one thing, the question is, who went to the radio tower and started replaying the Numbers Tape and why? I dare say it wasn't the Dharma Initiative, since they were all dead.

I seriously doubt that the Dharma Initiative broadcast the numbers, because there's no point in it. The one who has the greatest interest is Jacob, and most likely it was he who recorded the tape and started playing it in order to start the chain of events that would bring Hurley to the Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That was a Dharma thing and Dharma has been out of the picture all season.
That's because the writer's were flying by the seat of their pants and backed themselves into a corner and they had absolutely no choice but to abandon everything related to the Dharma Initiative, as though there never was a Dharma Initiative.

Question:

Does the United States have criminal and civil court jurisdiction on events that occur on the Island?

Answer:

Yes, indeed, the United States most certainly does have jurisdiction over any events that occur on the Island.

For those who want to do the research (like the writer's didn't) you can look at the Achille Lauro.

The 40 or so people who were murdered in the "purge" weren't orphans. They had family members, and when the family members don't hear from their loved ones, they're going to start making phone calls and demanding answers and that opens up a whole can of worms.

The rules of civil procedure in some states, like Ohio, allow one to propound requests for interrogatories, production and admissions before a wrongful death lawsuit with the Dharma Initiative as defendant is ever filed.

The lawyer representing the victim's family serves the Ohio Secretary of State who serves the Michigan Secretary of State who serves the Dharma Initiative at Ann Arbor with a subpoena, and it goes down-hill from there, because the police get involved, and then the FBI gets involved, and starts serving search warrants and that means Dharma has to destroy the Lamp Post or the US Government finds it and then finds the Island.

And then the BATF, FBI, DEA, US Marshals, Secret Service, CIA and III Marine Expeditionary Force show up to serve murder warrants on Jacob, Richard, Ben and the others.

The only way to avoid that is "purge" the entire Dharma Initiative, including everyone who was ever a member of the Dharma Initiative or who was on the Island.

As you can plainly see, that would get a little messy.

And then the writer's thought it would be "cool" to have supplies air-dropped on the Island from the Dharma Initiative.

But that brings us back to the messy part, and so the writers just simply pretended that the Dharma Initiative never existed and if the writers never mention the Dharma Initiative again, then maybe viewers will forget about it and not ask any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny
Eko was one of my favorites and was a very complex character. As I learned more about the smoke monster, I really wanted to know why Eko was deemed unworthy of redemption. Maybe he didn't want redemption and was ready to pay for his sins. However, I still would've liked to see him make a final appearance
Eko was not chosen because he felt no guilt.

The modus operandi of the MiB is to exploit people's guilt and shame.

It was Richard's guilt and shame that allowed the MiB to exploit him into attack Jacob (albeit the attack failed).

It was Ben's guilt and shame over the death of his "daughter" the MiB exploited to convince him to kill Jacob.

Locke's guilt and shame for being a loser and having a pathetic life allowed him to be exploited.

Once Eko said he did the best he could with the life he was given and was not sorry for the things he did, he was of no value to the MiB, because there's nothing there to exploit.

As it stands, his parents died and he was having a hard time dealing with that, and wanted to return to his home in London, and so for that, he was written off the show. It was a mutual agreement.

Prior to the beginning of the 6th Season, the writer's did want to bring Eko back, and he was in agreement to making one or two guest appearances, but the were unable to fit him into the script. It had nothing to do with money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47
I watched the finale while pausing the dvr live while it was recording so I could just zip through the comercials and they wouldn't be distracting.
I wished I had something like that when I was watching the finale. I don't know how you people tolerate commercials. The last time I saw a LOST episode with commercials on TV was in the second season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny
Miles is the one character I'm unsure of but I suppose he just wasn't ready to move on as a previous poster suggested.
He wasn't ready to move because he never found out why he was the way he was (hearing people's last thoughts).

Remember? The writers threw us a red-herring wrapped in a McGuffin with Miles' back-story when he goes to visit his ailing mother and asks why he is the way he is, and then the idiot writers threw us another red-herring wrapped in a hard shell McGuffin and a soft shell McGuffin (like a double Taco from Taco John's) when Miles is kidnapped by Bram & Crew and Bram tells Miles if he goes with them instead of Widmore's crew, he'll find all the answers to his life, including why he is special.

So, Miles can't move on until he finds out why he is special, which apparently will be never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam
I did not miss Michael at all, as I think they should have explained the whispers and he, for the most part, just came back to do that. I have to say he bored me to tears from the beginning.
I didn't care for his character, and I notice he had no prior connection to anyone. Boone and Shanon linked to Jack through Mr. Rutherford, Sawyer linked to Jack through Christian, Ana Lucia linked to Jack through Christian, Sayid and Kate linked through Kate's father and Kelvin Inman and Desmond, Libby linked to Hurley and Desmond, Eko linked to the psychic via Claire, Charlie linked to Sayid through Nadia, etc.

The Whisperers get around. They were out on the freighter whispering to Michael just before it blew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714
Lets see - Sayid still had his past as a torturer and a woman that he loved but could not touch, oh and also a dirt bag brother.

Sawyer was still a murderer and a con man with a rotten childhood, the fact that he had a badge changed nothing.

Jack had a failed marriage and a son that he was alienated from.

Kate's situation was virtually unchanged.

Except for Stay-puff, they had all the same crappy life, only reshuffled a bit. So much for that happiness and spiritual growth theory..
Maybe it's Happiness and Spiritual-Growth-Lite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking
At the end of Titanic, all the crew and charactors of the show were waiting for rose after she died in the grand ball room by the clock. the Spirit of Rose arrives and there is an emotional welcoming that made every one cry in the audience.
Good. Now I don't have to watch Titanic. I hate Leontardo DiCrap.

I suppose the lawsuits will be filed in the next few weeks for infringement of intellectual property rights.

Quote:
Miles was still alive, as were Richard and Lapidus. That is why they were not there.
Fair enough. Maybe Claire had another auto accident which killed her and baby Aaron.

Quote:
I don't think they will make a movie. Unfortunately
Don't be so sure.

JJ Abrahms still holds at least some of the rights to LOST.

I look for JJ to do a movie(s) maybe 5-8 years from now. He's probably writing the script now. Consider the original pilot and maybe the 1st or 2nd Seasons to be the "prequel." He'll pick it up from there and do it right.

The show really took a weird turn after he left in the 3rd season.

Quote:
I noticed Jack did not say the prayer too. It seemed very ordinary to me, and the water was dirty, whereas mother gave wine to Jacob and Jacob gave clean, spring water to Jack.
Well, they were frolicking in the water which made it dirty, but I also noticed he didn't say the prayer, and it probably would not have mattered.

When Desmond did what he did, he turned off the Island's powers, and that's why FLocke was bleeding and Jack was stabbed and died and FLocke was shot and died.

Of course, that doesn't explain how Jack got appendicitis.

I guess that's another McGuffin-flavored red-herring we'll have to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking
I was also in the same boat with you on BSG
BSG? Big Sobbing Gorillas? What the heck is BSG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,254,557 times
It's typically good to have a moving finale to such an epic and long-term adventure (and at least this series GOT a real ending, unlike Heroes or Angel), but I'm torn as to whether the ending should have been so incredibly depressing. The idea of the ending wasn't sad (moving on to something better), but the filming/presentation, and the feeling it left with me, certainly was. This was a show I watched for the fun of figuring out all the mysteries, tie-ins, and characters. I like a show to end with the feeling of "Wow! That's Awesome!" as the end turns out to be unexpected but perfectly logical--but with this show, days after the finale, I still feel incredibly sad every time I think about the ending scenes. Did anyone else find the ending uncharacteristically depressing?

And on another note, are there any TV shows left for those of us who appreciate either (1) an actual storyline, and/or (2) well-written sci-fi/fantasy?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:53 PM

42,031 posts, read 75,457,778 times
Quote:
What the heck is BSG?
Battlestar Galactica. Another serial with shaggy-dog story qualities and to some an unsatisfying and/or puzzling conclusion.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-26-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Yes, would anybody please suggest me another series?

I will rewatch Lost for a long time, but maybe I should try other series as well. I was suggested a series with the actor who played Jacob (he plays the devil, I guess??) but it was far from good.

As unbelievable as it seems, I have not really followed any series seriously on a long time, maybe since Lost started. What are you guys watching and why do you like your choices?

Just please, don't recommend me reality series of any kind.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,278,561 times
[quote=Ohiogirl81;14353517]Battlestar Galactica. Another serial with shaggy-dog story qualities and to some an unsatisfying and/or puzzling conclusion.[/quote
Yes a series I invested much of my time off watching, waiting for promises of conclusions that never came. Just like lost, very good until the final episode. A series that I mentioned much earlier in this post, as an example of how I "HOPED" lost would not follow. but of course, Lost did follow in BSGs footsteps.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,604,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Yes, would anybody please suggest me another series?

I will rewatch Lost for a long time, but maybe I should try other series as well. I was suggested a series with the actor who played Jacob (he plays the devil, I guess??) but it was far from good.

As unbelievable as it seems, I have not really followed any series seriously on a long time, maybe since Lost started. What are you guys watching and why do you like your choices?

Just please, don't recommend me reality series of any kind.
im watching fringe and losing interest fast

new season of dexter is starting up this fall

Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,023,543 times
Apparently, the DVD coming out will have 14 minutes of footage with Hurley and Ben as leaders of the island.

I second the recommendation of Dexter. That is the best show on TV and my favorite TV show ever.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 AM

13,625 posts, read 21,441,460 times
Well I watched the finale last night, it was good but at the same time confusing. I don't understand the alternative reality for all the characters.

The origin of the island would have been nice to know.

Oh well, guess maybe someday I'll watch it over.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,236,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Battlestar Galactica. Another serial with shaggy-dog story qualities and to some an unsatisfying and/or puzzling conclusion.
Uh, wut? You mean the sci-fi show with Lorene Greene, the guy from Bonanza or Ponderosa or whatever it was?

Are you kidding me? That show is ancient, and people are still fuming over it?

Well, I don't know, the Prisoner didn't make much sense either and people (like me) still whine about that.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 AM

42,031 posts, read 75,457,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh, wut? You mean the sci-fi show with Lorene Greene, the guy from Bonanza or Ponderosa or whatever it was?
Are you kidding me??? We're talking about the remake of the original series that ran for six years on Sci-Fi, which included a mini-series, TV series, web episodes, TV movies, prequels, spinoffs ...

The basic premise was the same as the original, but that's about it. There's quite a lengthy thread on this board about the show.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-27-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV