Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times

Advertisements

Those King's Hawaiian rolls are SO good, but the commercials are SO bad. Why, why, why???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:17 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Um, every commercial. I'm like lightening with the remote.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:21 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Gotta say though that I LOVE the Geico commercial with Icky Woods getting the cold cuts - I laugh out loud every time.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74
Based on a thread discussing your favorite commercial, lets talk about the ones that are so horrible that it makes you change the channel the moment you see them.
Any spam ad that comes on I CHANGE THE CHANNEL!! (Then i go back to it when the show is back on)

Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Anything Geico. They try so hard to be funny, but it is just annoying.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:53 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
Just about every commercial I find annoying, and they're so many on at a time. It use to be a couple then back to the show, but now they're so many ! I either hit the mute or turn the channel.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:03 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Just about every commercial I find annoying, and they're so many on at a time. It use to be a couple then back to the show, but now they're so many ! I either hit the mute or turn the channel.
This. Thanks to my trusty DVR, I have actually estimated how much of each show is commercials. On an average 60 show I watch, around 20 minutes of it is commercials. And the sad thing is, I'm still paying for the commercials, even if I don't buy the advertised products, with every cable bill I pay each month

Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. Thanks to my trusty DVR, I have actually estimated how much of each show is commercials. On an average 60 show I watch, around 20 minutes of it is commercials. And the sad thing is, I'm still paying for the commercials, even if I don't buy the advertised products, with every cable bill I pay each month
Good point. If you do buy an advertised product they should give you a discount on the cable bill as you already paid to see and hear about the potato chips in an overt subliminal advertising way as the show you watched was financed with money from the potato chip company. In that they bought their way into the program so that they are able to product place their wares exclusively right in you face as opposed to having a bag of chips conspicuously laying on a table in the actual show itself. Maybe they could do away with commercials and just have certain name brands of the show sponsors stuff in the program. the more money the sponsor pays the more character participation with it, the main actor picks up the bag and starts eating the chips as the camera zooms in with the label showing. This would add more showtime to the show itself too and you'd save on your cable bill. Paying the undiscounted bill is like being penalized for not buying the advertised product even if you did buy it.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:08 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I get so tired of the commercials, that I end up losing interest in the show. Last night, I gave up and just turned the TV off and started reading instead.

I wonder if the advertisers realize they have reached the point of oversaturation.

When people are resorting to muting them out, turning channels to avoid them, or turning the TV off altogether, the sponsors advertising message, and advertising dollars, are no longer effective.

I've also stopped going to some websites because the ads have become too much. Does anyone even click on these things?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I get so tired of the commercials, that I end up losing interest in the show. Last night, I gave up and just turned the TV off and started reading instead.

I wonder if the advertisers realize they have reached the point of oversaturation.

When people are resorting to muting them out, turning channels to avoid them, or turning the TV off altogether, the sponsors advertising message, and advertising dollars, are no longer effective.

I've also stopped going to some websites because the ads have become too much. Does anyone even click on these things?
Use Ad Block Plus. For $0, it blocks all ads and pop ups on websites and makes the internet experience a pleasant one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV