Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,387 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else enjoy watching the black and white versions of Andy of Mayberry of TV Land? Barney is a hoot, but the shows are all about kindness and doing the right thing but always in a way that teaches so many lessons that are missing from today's society. Just wonderin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I loved watching the show when it wasn't a rerun (does that make me old?) and I still love watching it now that is only available as a rerun. I always thought it was a great example of doing the right thing, and common sense, but primarily I loved the small town feeling and the comfortable way everybody had with each other. The area I grew up in was a good bit like that - and to this day just knowing that places like that really existed are special to me. Even though it was a small town - people weren't necessarily ignorant and backward, but more likely they were attuned to being friendly and honest, and more likely to help friends or neighbors in need. The law was your friend, not your enemy and you could ALWAYS go back home again.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:19 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
The Andy Griffith show? I used to love watching that when I was a little girl. I am not sure if I ever remember watching it in color. Maybe I did. That was a long long time ago!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Being almost 60 years old I watched the show when it first came out and still catch it today whenever I can. It is a classic.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:33 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,387 times
The color version isn't as good; it doesn't include "Barney" and he was such a huge part of the show. I alwlays feel good after watching a show. So glad TVLand is showing the reruns, for quite a long time the show wasn't anywhere on our Comcast lineup.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Does anyone else enjoy watching the black and white versions of Andy of Mayberry of TV Land? Barney is a hoot, but the shows are all about kindness and doing the right thing but always in a way that teaches so many lessons that are missing from today's society. Just wonderin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
The Andy Griffith show? I used to love watching that when I was a little girl. I am not sure if I ever remember watching it in color. Maybe I did. That was a long long time ago!
Ohhhhh, Andy, Barney, Aunt Bea, little Opie, Floyd the Barber, Goober, Gomer, Howard, Helen, Thelma Lou, Briscoe Darling, Charlene & the 'boys', and don't forget the occasional episode with Malcom Merriweather from England.

Watched it as a child growing up and thereafter my entire life. I used to watch a couple of episodes in the wee morning hours before work and it always started my day off just perfectly, saw so many reruns but never got bored with them at all! I can't say that I recall ever watching anything other than the B&W version and that was just fine with me. I work different hours now so I do not get to watch it anymore and I sure do miss it. I wonder if I could catch it on youtube? I will have to look into that!

Thanks for reminding me of what I've been missing for quite some time now!

OOOPS, I almost forgot one of my favorite characters, Ernest T. Bass, yeah, I'm going to have to start watching this again, it was good for my soul.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
Never gets old, I am grateful we are able to still watch it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I believe the show converted to color in its last year, 1965 (which is when many other black/white shows converted to color too). It wasnt the black/white that made it so enjoyable or the color that made it less enjoyable. As someone said, Barney left right before the last season and Opie was growing up. The show just ran its course.

But it was one of my favorite shows of all time, both when it was new and in reruns. I still try to catch all the reruns on MeTV every day. Even though I know all the show by heart, I never tire of watching them -- it's like seeing old friends all over again.

And I've bought the DVDs of the show so I can continue to enjoy it if it ever goes off.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I believe the show converted to color in its last year, 1965 (which is when many other black/white shows converted to color too). It wasnt the black/white that made it so enjoyable or the color that made it less enjoyable. As someone said, Barney left right before the last season and Opie was growing up. The show just ran its course.

But it was one of my favorite shows of all time, both when it was new and in reruns. I still try to catch all the reruns on MeTV every day. Even though I know all the show by heart, I never tire of watching them -- it's like seeing old friends all over again.

And I've bought the DVDs of the show so I can continue to enjoy it if it ever goes off.
Show ran 8 seasons, 1960-1968

First 5 seasons in BW
Last 3 in color.

I too like the Barney episodes best, Don Knotts left the show in 1965.

It was a popular show throughout it`s run, it was Andy that wanted to end it, not the TV execs,
and when they couldn`t coax him back they created a spin off, Mayberry RFD.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Nip it, Nip it in the bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV