Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I do love this show, and have enjoyed both seasons, but by the end of the second season I started to feel that going from majority whip to president in two seasons was a bit too much. It seems like more people would have figured out Frank could never be trusted, and would be best avoided. I did not understand how Walker didn't see at the end that he had been totally played.

I have to wonder why a man who is so smart, charismatic, and good at playing people wouldn't have already become president in a more "normal" manner. Maybe that's a suspension of disbelief issue on my part. I certainly have enjoyed watching these conniving, horrible people do whatever it takes to get what they want. I wonder what they plan to do next.
I agree on Walker....he finally figured Frank out, then did a complete 180 when he received a desperation letter the day before Tusk was going to send Frank to prison? Then left the WH with a smile on his face? C'mon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Has anyone else watched the entire Season 2?
Yes, I finished it a few days ago. Wish there were more episodes per season but love what I'm seeing! Can't wait for season three!!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:35 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
I know Frank will be out for revenge in season 3 once he finds out where Rachel Posner is hiding. She is too much of a liability to keep her alive, especially after killing Doug Stamper. Frank will do his best to track her down. I can't wait for season 3!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I do love this show, and have enjoyed both seasons, but by the end of the second season I started to feel that going from majority whip to president in two seasons was a bit too much. It seems like more people would have figured out Frank could never be trusted, and would be best avoided. I did not understand how Walker didn't see at the end that he had been totally played.

I have to wonder why a man who is so smart, charismatic, and good at playing people wouldn't have already become president in a more "normal" manner. Maybe that's a suspension of disbelief issue on my part. I certainly have enjoyed watching these conniving, horrible people do whatever it takes to get what they want. I wonder what they plan to do next.
I'm with you on all of this. I am a huge fan of this show. I couldn't wait for season two. And I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. But at times it was hard to suspend the disbelief. Frank played Walker and Tusk too easily. One one hand is a sitting president. He had to have a great degree of "gamesmanship" to get elected in the first place. Yet, he is so gullible with Frank. He was so easily manipulated. On the other hand is Raymond Tusk. Tusk was smart enough to craft a scheme that allowed Chinese businessmen to basically buy the US congress (Underwood included) yet he gets outsmarted by Frank. He and Walker both had a foe in Underwood and neither of them could see they were getting played against one another?

My guess is the deaths of Zoe and Russo will come back to haunt Frank in season three. Because those two situations can't end with Lucas going to prison. And I hope to see Walker and Tusk come back with a vengeance in season three. At some point the two of them have to realize they were played. Of course Tusk will need a pardon from Underwood to avoid prison so we will see what happens.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I'm with you on all of this. I am a huge fan of this show. I couldn't wait for season two. And I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. But at times it was hard to suspend the disbelief. Frank played Walker and Tusk too easily. One one hand is a sitting president. He had to have a great degree of "gamesmanship" to get elected in the first place. Yet, he is so gullible with Frank. He was so easily manipulated. On the other hand is Raymond Tusk. Tusk was smart enough to craft a scheme that allowed Chinese businessmen to basically buy the US congress (Underwood included) yet he gets outsmarted by Frank. He and Walker both had a foe in Underwood and neither of them could see they were getting played against one another?

My guess is the deaths of Zoe and Russo will come back to haunt Frank in season three. Because those two situations can't end with Lucas going to prison. And I hope to see Walker and Tusk come back with a vengeance in season three. At some point the two of them have to realize they were played. Of course Tusk will need a pardon from Underwood to avoid prison so we will see what happens.
Frank manipulates every character in a different way, usually based on their weaknesses:

He played on Russo's guilt over his substance abuse problems.

He played on Zoe's ego. She never thought she would be in real danger with him because he was attracted to her.

He played on Walker's sense of decency. I don't think Walker thought Frank would be capable of writing that letter unless it was sincere. He couldn't imagine himself doing it, so he had trouble believing someone else could.

He used Catherine's ambition and made it clear she would be an insider in HIS administration.

But my favorite is how he was just straight-up honest with Jackie Sharp. He knew she was as ruthless as he was so he was totally straight with her.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
I hated to see Freddy Hayes lose his BBQ deal.

Since it appears Rebecca killed Doug Stamper I wonder who Frank will use as Chief of Staff now. In the first season Remy Danton worked for Frank but resigned. Season 2 he is working both Tusk and Frank and sleeping with Jackie. It makes one wonder if all lobbyist are like that.

Frank will have to get a slime ball to replace his "Cleaner Doug Stamper." At the end of the first season I thought Stamper was getting a little bit of a conscience but he came back the 2nd season in full force cleaning up for Frank. Of course Stamper was another weird one asking Rebecca to just read to him.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Frank manipulates every character in a different way, usually based on their weaknesses:

He played on Zoe's ego. She never thought she would be in real danger with him because he was attracted to her.

He played on Walker's sense of decency. I don't think Walker thought Frank would be capable of writing that letter unless it was sincere. He couldn't imagine himself doing it, so he had trouble believing someone else could.

He used Catherine's ambition and made it clear she would be an insider in HIS administration.

But my favorite is how he was just straight-up honest with Jackie Sharp. He knew she was as ruthless as he was so he was totally straight with her.
You summed this up really well! I also had a bit of an issue with Walker just accepting the impeachment issue and giving Frank back his letter (he could've saved it for evidence later!). I guess Walker's character had enough and just wanted it over so he could heal his marriage. Seems a bit lame, but every thing else was so exciting that I'll just let that one slide. LOL!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Agreed. Walker's change of heart was completely ridiculous. And who are all of these beta male sheeps in Washington primed for Frank's slaughter? Yeah, Frank is smart, manipulative and conniving, but those are hardly novel qualities in politicians.

The entitlement reform thing was unrealistic. Not so much the way the vote went down (with the Sergeant at Arms arresting senators), but the fact that Democrats so easily came to the table and said "Okay, let's raise the retirement age." And not only did they get entitlement reform, but they got it in the second year of Walker's administration. O. Kay.

I'm still not quite clear how Frank could be so insulated from the political fallout resulting from Chinese political contributions when his Chief of Staff went to China. It doesn't matter what can be proved; a reporter from the Washington Post (Herald) or New York Times would have made hay of that. And he'd have to pay a price for that politically.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:

But let's be clear here. Claire is the real boss.

"When is your baby due? Four months? It will be six months before this gets to trial. And in that time I'm willing to let that baby wither inside of you and DIE."

Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But let's be clear here. Claire is the real boss.

"When is your baby due? Four months? It will be six months before this gets to trial. And in that time I'm willing to let that baby wither inside of you and DIE."
LOL. I agree!
I'm so glad they expanded on her character in season 2. I hated to think she was someone who just put up with Frank's scheming and had affairs to ease her pain. Nice to know she has her own brand of evil tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV