Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
OK! Great.
I knew it was something important but didn't know how it all connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it is amazing, how they all seem to be connected somehow, which is also enjoyable
Speaking of connections, in the book Joe Abernathy sang "Dem Bones" while laying out the skeleton in anatomical order. I guess that was deemed too politically incorrect for TV.

Keep in mind that the books are so detailed anything that shows up on the screen, no matter how minor it seems at the time, may foreshadow something significant.

From Voyager, chapter 20:

Joe is assembling the skeleton:

"Oh, de headbone connected to de ... neckbone," Joe sang softly, laying out the vertebrae along the edge of the desk. His stubby fingers darted skillfully among the bones, nudging them into alignment. "De neckbone connected to the ... backbone ..."

Connections, see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:57 PM

28,914 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Speaking of connections, in the book Joe Abernathy sang "Dem Bones" while laying out the skeleton in anatomical order. I guess that was deemed too politically incorrect for TV.

Keep in mind that the books are so detailed anything that shows up on the screen, no matter how minor it seems at the time, may foreshadow something significant.

"Oh, de headbone connected to de ... neckbone," Joe sang softly, laying out the vertebrae along the edge of the desk. His stubby fingers darted skillfully among the bones, nudging them into alignment. "De neckbone connected to the ... backbone ..."

Connections, see?
good post, thank you....my sister read the books and she helps me out as much as she can, but unfortuanately, she forgets a lot...that scene with the bones struck me funny, and thought it may have been significant....actually wondering if she knew who it was....

Thanks again....

Old 10-12-2017, 04:15 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why would she steer the very first time, having not even intended to go, nor knowing what was even happening?
She didn't steer. She was in the middle of complete chaos and turned to a familiar sound (the sound of pitched battle). That's how she ended up meeting Captain Randall in the woods, and then Murtagh.

It also could have just been that it was approximately 200 years in the past, which she seems to think is the "norm," based on all the legends.

Spoiler
The steering is done by people like Geillis, who intentionally went to a specific time. Remember she came from 1968 and was already in the past for 10 years by the time Claire went back in time, so that's a thirty year time difference.

I put that in spoiler quotes in case that wasn't revealed last season. I get it all confused in my head since I've known this story for so many years. Don't read it if you don't like to be spoiled (though honestly I can't recall if it is a spoiler).

Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
It was not intentional. Her thoughts of Frank steered her to Jack Randall.
I never got that out of the books, but it's possible. It could explain why she went 203 years back rather than 200.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
It was not intentional. Her thoughts of Frank steered her to Jack Randall.
OK, thanks.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I never got that out of the books, but it's possible. It could explain why she went 203 years back rather than 200.
Well, it is usually 200 years with a bit of a margin of error.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I thought it would have been cool if Claire had made an arrangement with Brianna that she would leave her notes from the past. Something like "under the big rock near the entrance to such & such castle". She could have left dozens of notes over time describing her adventures and they would all be under that rock for Brianne to read. Just a thought.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I thought it would have been cool if Claire had made an arrangement with Brianna that she would leave her notes from the past. Something like "under the big rock near the entrance to such & such castle". She could have left dozens of notes over time describing her adventures and they would all be under that rock for Brianne to read. Just a thought.
In the books, eventually (around book #7, I think), Brianna does receive letters from Claire in the past, through a complicated arrangement.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:19 AM

28,914 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:

Connections, see?
LOL, good one.... and so so true

I have a question...do the books take you up to the time of the great potato famine?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 AM

794 posts, read 1,326,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
LOL, good one.... and so so true

I have a question...do the books take you up to the time of the great potato famine?
Nope. Books 3/Season 3 (Voyager) is set in the 1760s. The last book, Written in My Own Heart's Blood, is set around 1778.

According to Wikipedia, the Highland Potato Famine of Scotland was 1846-1856; Ireland Great Potato Famine in 1845-1852.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV