Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times

Advertisements

I read this yesterday. I love these books. I just wish I had starz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
There are various online streaming services. I'm guessing maybe iTunes or other services may also allow download per episode for a fee. There's always a way to view a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
As for her age: both she and Samuel Heughan are in their mid-30's. (both are 34) I think this appropriate. First, in the books, Claire is several years older than Jamie. She is 26 when she slips through the stones, and 27 when they marry, while Jamie is a 22-year old virgin. So the fact that she looks a little bit older is important - Claire *is* older -- and much more experienced -- than Jamie when they first meet.

Plus - the books span *decades.* Both actors will have to age substantially if the series is a success and they film episodes that include "Voyager" and subsequent books. I doubt a younger 20-something actor could pull this off.
When I made my comments, I was thinking the show would be based around the first book only, which is why the age thing came up. They are both the same ages in real life, but there's no way I thought the guy was 34. He could totally pass (in the pictures I posted, at least) for 21, up to 25, maybe. The person playing Claire, in my opinion, looks 34, which doesn't match her age in the book. But, acting often can override how the actors look. There are a number of times when I thought the actor was miscast, and then they did a great job (Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Sally Fields as Mary Todd Lincoln, etc.).

Actually, it will be interesting to see what the show does. Because I wasn't sure whether the series would span the books or not, I just Googled to find an article on it. If the series does well, they're planning 16 episodes per season, each season to span one book. Will they stick with the same actors throughout it all? How will the actress go from trying to pull off 27 to trying to pull off 60? It'll be interesting to see what's done.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
There are various online streaming services. I'm guessing maybe iTunes or other services may also allow download per episode for a fee. There's always a way to view a show.
I sure would like to know how. Starz owns it and they split with Netflix so can't do that route.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I sure would like to know how. Starz owns it and they split with Netflix so can't do that route.
I just checked Google Play to see if they offer any other Starz original shows, and they currently offer Black Sails, The White Queen, and Spartacus, so they'll probably offer Outlander as well. I think that's how I'm going to view Outlander, since I don't want Starz for anything else. Do you have Google Play available in Scotland?

Oh, and it looks like Black Sails is also available on iTunes and Amazon. I didn't check whether the other ones are available, but they probably are. I'd imagine that the production companies want to make as much money off each show as they can.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I just checked Google Play to see if they offer any other Starz original shows, and they currently offer Black Sails, The White Queen, and Spartacus, so they'll probably offer Outlander as well. I think that's how I'm going to view Outlander, since I don't want Starz for anything else. Do you have Google Play available in Scotland?

Oh, and it looks like Black Sails is also available on iTunes and Amazon. I didn't check whether the other ones are available, but they probably are. I'd imagine that the production companies want to make as much money off each show as they can.
I'm sure we have Google Play but I've tried to see if I could get Starz online for a fee but it won't let me have access because it says US only.

I know I'll be able to see this eventually, but I just don't want to have to wait! I'd like to see it on my big tv screen instead of a PC.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm sure we have Google Play but I've tried to see if I could get Starz online for a fee but it won't let me have access because it says US only.

I know I'll be able to see this eventually, but I just don't want to have to wait!
Oh, well, I know when I downloaded Vikings from Google Play, it was available the day after it aired on TV (usually available by midnight, pacific standard time). And Black Sails was available on Amazon and iTunes a week before the premiere episode aired on television, although I don't know if they kept doing that for all episodes.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Oh, well, I know when I downloaded Vikings from Google Play, it was available the day after it aired on TV (usually available by midnight, pacific standard time). And Black Sails was available on Amazon and iTunes a week before the premiere episode aired on television, although I don't know if they kept doing that for all episodes.
We do have Google Play of course, and I see many programmes are available, probably all the same ones as US. Never used it before. I'll cross my fingers!

Thanks!

Almost all of our tv watching has been Netflix for quite a while.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,092 times
Quote:

Actually, it will be interesting to see what the show does. Because I wasn't sure whether the series would span the books or not, I just Googled to find an article on it. If the series does well, they're planning 16 episodes per season, each season to span one book. Will they stick with the same actors throughout it all? How will the actress go from trying to pull off 27 to trying to pull off 60? It'll be interesting to see what's done.

I am hopeful! I want to give her a chance, at least. (How jarring it would be to switch the lead actors - unless one was truly terrible!)

I am more concerned about wooden delivery and flat, emotionless acting than I am about her appearance. Although I don't think Caitriona Balfre looks too old. Good grief, it's not like she has wrinkles and sagging skin!

She does have a very strong, very "European" face, which again, is maybe a good thing, since Claire is one strong lady.

And if you've read the books, you'll recall how Claire "hardly ages," even in middle age. I think one of the reasons this actress was chosen is because they believe she will be able to age into the character believably. And as I stated earlier, it is much easier to age a character via make-up and prosthetics, etc., than it is to make one appear significantly younger.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:

When I made my comments, I was thinking the show would be based around the first book only, which is why the age thing came up. They are both the same ages in real life, but there's no way I thought the guy was 34. He could totally pass (in the pictures I posted, at least) for 21, up to 25, maybe. The person playing Claire, in my opinion, looks 34, which doesn't match her age in the book. But, acting often can override how the actors look. There are a number of times when I thought the actor was miscast, and then they did a great job (Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Sally Fields as Mary Todd Lincoln, etc.).

The book mentions that Jamie seems older than he is because in that day and age 23 was different than 23 today. Same actually goes for 1945. I've always noticed that women in their 20s looked much older than the 20-somethings of today.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Looks kind of violent.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV