Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:41 PM

298 posts, read 299,515 times

Advertisements

The drug and alcohol stories are all the same to me. Seeing someone sneak off to do some meth, resist getting help, then ultimately conceding has been done enough.

I found the gambling episodes fascinating because of how the family would enable each addict. No parent would knowingly give their kid $5k to get more drugs, but they will to cover a gambling loss, again and again and again. I'd like to see more episodes like that so non-addicts can see how very much involved they are in their loved ones' addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I saw an ad yesterday that said Intervention is coming back on March 22nd.

I really enjoyed the show. Is anyone else planning on watching?
Oh wow. I'm really glad you posted this. I loved the show and watched a lot of the episodes on rerun. I will set this on my DVR. I'm glad it's coming back. I'm not sure if it will be as good as the first time around. Sequels rarely are. I tried watching other shows of its ilk, but they weren't nearly as good. For those of you who say the show was depressing, I disagree. Most of the addicts recovered from their addictions. That's very uplifting and encouraging, IMO.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:08 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
There was no entertainment looking into the eyes of my then 17 year old son during his intervention. The reality of being awoken at 3:00 AM with 2 large strangers telling him it was time to go. The fear and horror of the unknown awash in his face. And his knowing that his dad did this to him. Not FOR him but TO him.

I would be shocked if any parent would want to watch such a show.
I am sorry for your heartache, but you're "shocked " if a parent would watch?
I was a Psych nurse who often worked with addicts and grew up with an alcoholic dad, I think it's an excellent show. I always watched it with my teen age son, real eye opener for him.
Wish there was a site to see how they are doing today, not a few months after, but many years later.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh wow. I'm really glad you posted this. I loved the show and watched a lot of the episodes on rerun. I will set this on my DVR. I'm glad it's coming back. I'm not sure if it will be as good as the first time around. Sequels rarely are. I tried watching other shows of its ilk, but they weren't nearly as good. For those of you who say the show was depressing, I disagree. Most of the addicts recovered from their addictions. That's very uplifting and encouraging, IMO.
I agree, the fact that most of them do recover is uplifting, at least to me.

And, I guess I just think it is interesting to see the inner world of an addict. There are addicts in my family and the show has made me a little more forgiving of them. It also has helped me to understand my dad better because he was always the "good kid" who got brushed to the side to deal with the addicts. He has a lot of resentment because of that.

I definitely like some episodes more than others. I hate needles, so I don't want to see people shooting up. I think the gambling addictions and eating disorders are very interesting, as well.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:16 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
There was no entertainment looking into the eyes of my then 17 year old son during his intervention. The reality of being awoken at 3:00 AM with 2 large strangers telling him it was time to go. The fear and horror of the unknown awash in his face. And his knowing that his dad did this to him. Not FOR him but TO him.

I would be shocked if any parent would want to watch such a show.
You did it FOR him, please remember that. You did good, Dad.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
I watch it for the psychology of addiction and co-addiction; enabling, and all the other trust issues. I like the show. I hope they're new one. The show helped so many addicts we saw, and so many we didn't see......

Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I've been watching this show for years, mostly as re-runs, but now the first-run episodes on A&E. They just had a 10 year anniversary episode recently, and it was cool to see some of the behind-the-scenes stuff, along with updates on some of the more memorable people.

I too wonder how all these addicts agree "to be in a documentary about addiction" and don't suspect that they are on Intervention. I think I only saw the person figure it out maybe twice, and that's in 10 years. I mean, I know they are busy living their addiction, but they do watch TV now and then, and they have to be at least loosely aware that this show "Intervention" is out there. But then again, look how many pedophiles Chris Hansen caught after To Catch a Predator was on for so long.

Things that always hit me as I watch this show:
  • I could never be an addict, because I hate asking people to do things for me or give me things. The subjects on the show are always living off of their loved ones, getting money from them, living for free on their support, getting rides form them, etc. I'd make a bad addict because even if I could become dependent on a substance, I could never be dependent on other people. I guess that's good.
  • Way too many people have their kids being raised by someone else because of their horrible addiction-related behavior. I always wonder what becomes of those kids, whether the subject gets sober or not. A lot of them drink or do drugs in from of their kids, and do other things like curse out their family members (who are caring for the kids) or get into physical altercations right in front of the kids. Those poor kids are likely to end up on the show in 10+ years or so. Maybe they should do some specials on Intervention: The Next Generation.
  • I guess I'm not an alcoholic as long as I don't drink my alcohol about of huge plastic cups. Over the course of 10 years, most of the alcoholics portrayed drink all day, but out of big 32-ounce cups. For some odd reason, several of the female alcoholics also like to sit in their garage in a lawn chair to do their drinking.
  • Often the co-dependent family members are 100 times worse than the addicted person. Yes, I know it's easy to see that from an outsider's perspective, but many of these people know what they are doing, and keep doing it. It's rare that I'll actually talk out loud to my TV, but these people can really trigger that.
  • I get kind of ticked off at the people who end up dropping out of treatment or relapsing right after treatment. Yes, I admit I do have difficulty with empathy with people with substance use issues, and that's why I've chosen to work with people with severe mental illness and not substance use disorders, because I know I would not be a good fit. From my point of view, though, these people are just so ungrateful. We see how horrible their life has been, despite having a bunch of people supporting them in their horrible lifestyle. Then they get offered world-class treatment that they never would have been able to afford otherwise, even if they had chosen to get help. They are offered something life-changing. Then they do things like drop out of the world-class treatment center after a few weeks, or finish the program, then go back home to immediately relapse. I start to really have hope for the person when they accept treatment, and I feel like I'm pulling for them, then they show the post script that says they threw it all away, and I feel really disappointed in them, and I don't even know them!
  • Anyone who laughs at the people during their intervention will end up failing in treatment. So far, everyone I've seen who laughs in the faces of the interventionist and their loved ones when they are pouring out their hearts, ends up being the ones who drop out of treatment.
  • When you start to see the closing credits and hear the music when the person is still on the plane or being checked into the treatment center, you know it's because they dropped out of treatment, and there won't be the nice little 60-90 day update with the person sober and looking better.
  • I'm so glad they brought back the original song at the end! If you watch the show, you'll know what I mean. they tried a crappy version of the song last year, and it wasn't the same.
  • I like the updates they've been doing all this season, showing someone who was on the show years ago. Last night I actually teared-up to see the old homeless guy Hubert from 8 years ago doing so well.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Well, bless your heart.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
TEN years??

I had no idea it even existed until I stumbled across it one evening a few months ago.....

and no, I'm not an addict.... it was just never on my radar, I guess....

Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I also noticed that many of the men and women who are addicts admitted to having endured some type of early sexual abuse, or a sexual assault in adolescence. In most of those cases, they say they didn't tell anyone, or they told their family but no one sought treatment for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV