Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,620,553 times

Advertisements

I'm watching the first few episodes of Season 4.

Kate appears to finally be growing up a bit. I think Toby is smart to be working out at the gym: because (1) It seems to be a stress reliever for him, and he's certainly had a lot of stress to deal with in the past few months; (2) he has a child now, a tiny baby, given the weights of both parents, the chances are that the kid could lose one or both of them before he's an adult, so working out and losing weight might assure that baby Jack will at least have one parent to see him through to adulthood and hopefully beyond (and maybe Toby wants to live to see a grandchild of his own). I hope that Kate does not freak out about Toby's weight loss.

I also wonder when Kate started to overeat as a child, and why. Was it because she associated the security of being Jack's favorite child with their going out to eat ice cream? I've been fighting a similar battle most of my life, for different reasons I think, but I've never reached Kate's level of obesity, and was in decent shape in my late 30's. Not judging, just curious about the causes that the TV show might explore; they've done a fairly good job going into the psyche of very overweight people. (and I personally believe I have the so-called 'addictive gene' or whatever; my mother was a smoker, her sister turned to alcohol in her late middle age; both were in healthy weight; I'm food-obsessed)

And I love it that Kevin, who a season or two ago was terrified at the thought of ever having kids, is becoming very good with kids and will apparently have one of his own eventually. I loved the scene with Kevin bonding with his Incredibly Cute baby nephew.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:07 AM

16,447 posts, read 12,624,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I also wonder when Kate started to overeat as a child, and why. Was it because she associated the security of being Jack's favorite child with their going out to eat ice cream? I've been fighting a similar battle most of my life, for different reasons I think, but I've never reached Kate's level of obesity, and was in decent shape in my late 30's. Not judging, just curious about the causes that the TV show might explore; they've done a fairly good job going into the psyche of very overweight people. (and I personally believe I have the so-called 'addictive gene' or whatever; my mother was a smoker, her sister turned to alcohol in her late middle age; both were in healthy weight; I'm food-obsessed)
My suspicion is that the trauma of losing Jack is only part of it. I think we're going to learn that her relationship with the new boyfriend turned out to be abusive in some way. It's not uncommon for women who go through mentally/emotionally/physically abusive relationships to go through significant weight gain as an unconscious defense mechanism. As if they are making themselves unattractive to men because they no longer trust them.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:17 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,052,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Kate is my least favorite....always a narcissist. It is no surprise she let the dog go. It's always about her and her eating issues, image issues, whatever. I have a sister-in-law just like her. I have often wondered if they created the character after her LOLOLOL
Are the writers making her so unlikable on purpose ??

Old 12-16-2019, 05:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 838,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My suspicion is that the trauma of losing Jack is only part of it. I think we're going to learn that her relationship with the new boyfriend turned out to be abusive in some way. It's not uncommon for women who go through mentally/emotionally/physically abusive relationships to go through significant weight gain as an unconscious defense mechanism. As if they are making themselves unattractive to men because they no longer trust them.

I'd say that's a pretty deep reach. Maybe stress of weight fluctuating from trauma, sure...but that last, don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Are the writers making her so unlikable on purpose ??
Ya know, I dunno. Writers have odd motives sometimes, but it could be possible. She is definitely not likeable to me, but that might just be my own bias.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Kate is my least favorite....always a narcissist. It is no surprise she let the dog go. It's always about her and her eating issues, image issues, whatever. I have a sister-in-law just like her. I have often wondered if they created the character after her LOLOLOL

On another note, I recommend re-watching Season 4. We have been and enjoyed it immensely.

Do I have to give a SPOILER warning for a half-season that's already aired? Hope not.

One thing i don't get is why Kevin and Kate have narcissistic streaks. They were sensibly raised for the most part; given lots of love and attention as well as boundaries and discipline. Neither of their parents are narcissists. Kevin is trying, at 38-40, to become less selfish and more responsible (and has taken on the responsibility for being a helpful presence in his nephew's life as well as spending lots of time and energy helping out a very unhappy uncle who did not want to be helped); yet he still did a very selfish and mean thing when they were all simmering in the hospital waiting for Kate's baby to be delivered - Kevin kicked out Madison, Kate's friend, who had brought food for everyone - a crummy thing to do, and no one, to my knowledge, ever said Sorry to the girl. Having a child seems to be bringing Kate out of her shell a little bit; she is capable of not only feeling empathy for the grumpy neighbor but striking up a friendship with him.

I've now watched all of Season 4's episodes that have already appeared, and have to wait for the second half like everyone else.

Malik - Interesting character, but he looks like he's two or three years younger than Deja; and he doesn't look old enough to have become a father himself. IMDB says the actor is 18, but he definitely doesn't look it; and he seems physically quite small and slender compared to the physically mature actress who is playing Deja. I found his mother very annoying (so did Beth!). Randall should have been more impressed that Malik and his family were committed to raising Malik's baby, and that Malik was taking responsibility for the child; but Randall was too far into terrified-father mode (entertaining the possibility that Malik would make Deja pregnant) to reach that conclusion, I think.

Rebecca - is she supposed to be 65 or older? Losing the cellphone is not a sure sign of Alzheimers/Dementia; but wandering around and not knowing where one is is certainly troubling. I'm not far from 65 myself and have had some "senior moments" (saying a similar, but not right word, when one is thinking of the right word; like when Rebecca called Randall 'new Congressman' when she meant to say 'Councilman' - I have been told that this is not necessarily a sign of Alzheimers either).

How old is Tessa supposed to be? If she's 14 or 15 now, it makes more sense (to me at least) for her to believe that she's gay then when she first announced it a year or two ago.

I really loved what went on with Kevin and Uncle Nick. I thought he had tremendous chemistry with Cassidy (well-played by Jennifer Morrison).

At least we know that baby Jack will survive being raised by two very neurotic people and will grow up to be a singer who doesn't have a weight problem.

The hints of a rift between Randall and Kevin in the future is very disheartening; especially since it seems to include Rebecca. The relationship between Randall and Rebecca was always so strong; he was always her favorite child.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,655,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Do I have to give a SPOILER warning for a half-season that's already aired? Hope not.

One thing i don't get is why Kevin and Kate have narcissistic streaks. They were sensibly raised for the most part; given lots of love and attention as well as boundaries and discipline. Neither of their parents are narcissists. Kevin is trying, at 38-40, to become less selfish and more responsible (and has taken on the responsibility for being a helpful presence in his nephew's life as well as spending lots of time and energy helping out a very unhappy uncle who did not want to be helped); yet he still did a very selfish and mean thing when they were all simmering in the hospital waiting for Kate's baby to be delivered - Kevin kicked out Madison, Kate's friend, who had brought food for everyone - a crummy thing to do, and no one, to my knowledge, ever said Sorry to the girl. Having a child seems to be bringing Kate out of her shell a little bit; she is capable of not only feeling empathy for the grumpy neighbor but striking up a friendship with him.

I've now watched all of Season 4's episodes that have already appeared, and have to wait for the second half like everyone else.

Malik - Interesting character, but he looks like he's two or three years younger than Deja; and he doesn't look old enough to have become a father himself. IMDB says the actor is 18, but he definitely doesn't look it; and he seems physically quite small and slender compared to the physically mature actress who is playing Deja. I found his mother very annoying (so did Beth!). Randall should have been more impressed that Malik and his family were committed to raising Malik's baby, and that Malik was taking responsibility for the child; but Randall was too far into terrified-father mode (entertaining the possibility that Malik would make Deja pregnant) to reach that conclusion, I think.

Rebecca - is she supposed to be 65 or older? Losing the cellphone is not a sure sign of Alzheimers/Dementia; but wandering around and not knowing where one is is certainly troubling. I'm not far from 65 myself and have had some "senior moments" (saying a similar, but not right word, when one is thinking of the right word; like when Rebecca called Randall 'new Congressman' when she meant to say 'Councilman' - I have been told that this is not necessarily a sign of Alzheimers either).

How old is Tessa supposed to be? If she's 14 or 15 now, it makes more sense (to me at least) for her to believe that she's gay then when she first announced it a year or two ago.

I really loved what went on with Kevin and Uncle Nick. I thought he had tremendous chemistry with Cassidy (well-played by Jennifer Morrison).

At least we know that baby Jack will survive being raised by two very neurotic people and will grow up to be a singer who doesn't have a weight problem.

The hints of a rift between Randall and Kevin in the future is very disheartening; especially since it seems to include Rebecca. The relationship between Randall and Rebecca was always so strong; he was always her favorite child.
IDK why Deja is more at risk of getting pregnant by him than any other guy. Seems like a stigma to me. Or that his overall situation is too mature for her.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Randall is very protective of his daughters. A boy who has already fathered, in his teens, a child, would seem to Randall like a threat to Deja; until he got to know Malik (which he was unable to do during that introductory dinner).

Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,788,892 times
Rebecca I think would be 70 even though they have never made Many Moore look old enough when it's the "present."

Old 12-17-2019, 10:32 AM

1,082 posts, read 838,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Hhmmm, I think you are mistaken. I'm pretty sure they modeled her after MY sister-in-law.
Hahahaha....very possible many have been copied LOL

Old 12-17-2019, 10:36 AM

429 posts, read 287,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Hhmmm, I think you are mistaken. I'm pretty sure they modeled her after MY sister-in-law.
Me too...Do we all have the same sister-in law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV