Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Any thoughts on Salamanca? He seemed quite fine taking the pills after his "condition" acted up during the meeting, so either it's all psychosomatic with him, or he's on to the switch. Nacho was fighting to hide his shock.
I may be mistaken, but it looked to me like during the pill switch, Nacho did NOT replace ALL the pills. Which would be smart, actually.. If you replace only a few.. Then if someone gets the idea to check them, they're likely not going to check ALL the pills, they'll check one, and it gives you better odds that they pull a pill that was not tampered with.

The REALLY smart way would be to only replace 1 pill. But then you have the possibility that he drops it or whatever and it never gets taken.

Plus, we have no idea what he's putting in the other pills or what Hector's condition is. Maybe it's a cumulative poison that will take 4 or 5 pills worth before it affects him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Assuming MY numbers are right? Contingency cases = 2/3 to client and 1/3 to atty. It's standard.

But your number are off. We don't know there were 5000 clients. Yes, there are several facilities in several state, but 5000 isn't likely. Maybe 1000....maybe.

But your 670 per client based on your own 5000 figure .....an added 1.65M would = $1666 per client.
If there are 1000 clients that would mean $8330 more to each client.
Let's do the math differently.. 1666 people * 5000 dollars = 8,330,000 dollars

So.. Exactly how do 5000 people each get $1666 from a pot of $1.65M?

For 5000 people to get 1666 each, there'd have to be a pot of 8.33 Million. Same with your 1000 people. If there's a pot of 1.65 million, and 1000 clients, that would be 1650 additional per. Now, I wouldn't sneeze at $1650, but considering older folks, is it worth making them wait years to get that additional $1650?

I think 5000 might be high as well.. However, remember that the members of the class aren't all just little old ladies.. There's estates of people as well.. This had been going on for years. So, they have to be factored in as well.

Another point, back in season 1 when this all started, Chuck, in the meeting with Sandpiper said they'd settle for $20 million. or demanded $20 million.. I don't recall the exact conversation, but it was $20 million.

So.. That gives us a little area to consider as well.. If jimmy's cut were 1.2 million, that is 20% of the lawyers cut.. Which means that the lawyers cut is 6 million.. Which means that the total settlement is probably right at around $18 million? Which means right now, if there are 1000 members of the class, they're getting about $12,000 per class member.

So.. How much more do they think they'll get out of this? If they get Chuck's original offer, which seemed to be thrown out as a ridiculously high number.. That's an additional $2 million.. Let's say that your numbers are right, that there's 1000 members of the class.. That means they get an additional 1.32 million, which is an additional $1320 per class member. If we're using my number of 5000 (reality likely is somewhere in between) that's and extra $264 per class member. So.. We're looking at a difference of $12000 vs $13320 using your number of 1000 people.

Again, not an amount to sneeze at, but factor in that these people are dying every day. and if the $12000 covers what they are owed, plus some extra..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times
Labonte18, I don't understand your calculations at all, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It really irritates me how much the seniors are portrayed as gullible and easily manipulated. They are not dementia patients in a nursing home. They are just going to believe Jimmy and not even ask their friend anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Many ARE gullible. They are lonely and will believe anyone that spends time with them.
In any situation in which one person has more knowledge about a particular subject or issue, there's always the possibility that the person with less knowledge will be taken advantage of. This is why so many people get ripped off (or feel like they've been ripped off) when they go to a mechanic to get their car fixed, for example. If a mechanic feels like you don't really have an understanding of why your car has a certain problem, it's very easy for him to sell you services or repairs that aren't really needed to fix your problem. I've read so many bad reviews about dentists in my local area, including those who will tell you that you have more/worse dental issues than you actually have, that I don't know who I can go to that will be straight with me and not try to sell me expensive procedures I may not need. The same is true in the situation with the seniors at Sandpiper on BCS. Unless they've worked in the legal field themselves and have already dealt with this sort of situation, it's probably very confusing to them and they have to trust someone like Jimmy (because of his legal background) to guide them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I may be mistaken, but it looked to me like during the pill switch, Nacho did NOT replace ALL the pills. Which would be smart, actually.. If you replace only a few.. Then if someone gets the idea to check them, they're likely not going to check ALL the pills, they'll check one, and it gives you better odds that they pull a pill that was not tampered with.

The REALLY smart way would be to only replace 1 pill. But then you have the possibility that he drops it or whatever and it never gets taken.

Plus, we have no idea what he's putting in the other pills or what Hector's condition is. Maybe it's a cumulative poison that will take 4 or 5 pills worth before it affects him.
Nacho replaced the medication in Hector's pills with ibuprofen. He didn't put any sort of poison into Hector's pills. The label on the bottle he was using was clearly visible when he was changing the ingredients inside the capsules.

As for the issue about the legal fees and settlement, I really don't remember now what was said about that when Jimmy turned over the case to HHM (other than something about Jimmy getting 20%?); I'm not sure why applej3 thinks this is being done on a contingency basis (not disagreeing with you, I just don't remember it).
I do remember Chuck getting very excited (almost salivating) over a case HHM was taking on while speaking with Howard at his home, and Chuck thinking about how long it was going to take to litigate and how much money it would mean for HHM, but I'm not sure now if that was the Sandpiper case or Mesa Verde.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:36 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Jimmy wasn't very sensitive to Kim's issues when he came in all proud of himself and expected her to drop everything for him. Was she supposed to forget about her clients because he claims he got some money...? She really needs to move on.

Poor Irene. But out of all the women I would think there would be a relative or two that would be watching out for what is going on with this case. I would not let my elderly parent deal with lawyers alone, I'd have my nose all up in it to make sure no one was taking advantage.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Nacho replaced the medication in Hector's pills with ibuprofen. He didn't put any sort of poison into Hector's pills. The label on the bottle he was using was clearly visible when he was changing the ingredients inside the capsules.
I didn't notice that, or at least didn't remember it.

Knowing Hector's condition would help make sense of it.. Ibuprofin is a blood thinner.. Which usually will help prevent a stroke by preventing clots, but.. if the blood is thinned too much.. Perhaps what happens to Hector is a brain bleed that causes a stroke due to intracranial pressure or something.

Quote:
Labonte18, I don't understand your calculations at all, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

But your 670 per client based on your own 5000 figure .....an added 1.65M would = $1666 per client.
If there are 1000 clients that would mean $8330 more to each client.
I'll agree with that, because I can't figure out how an added 1.65M to the clients, would cause 1000 of them to get an additional $8333 each

Old 06-15-2017, 01:05 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
No, his son was not a crooked cop.
He wasnt crooked but he did take his cut of his dirty partners money on Mikes advice.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post

But wouldn't the woman who took over for Jimmy after he left the room to check on Irene notice the magnet in the tube that wasn't there before? The whole bingo device is made out of clear plastic, so it would be easy to see the magnet, wouldn't it?
Its a nursing home / retirement center bingo game... I think you're over thinking it. Even if she did notice, and Jimmy was "found out", then what? Would anyone really care?

Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 AM

There was so much going on in this episode, its hard to know where to begin!

You've got to hand it to Jimmy, he really knows how to commit to the long con. He should be ashamed of himself for what he put that poor woman through. Jimmy and Howard were both right about each other.

I said it early on in the season when Howard was climbing over walls to humor Chuck, that he would eventually grow tired of dealing with Chuck's antics and break away from him. That showdown should be interesting. "Imagine me as your enemy".... Classic Chuck.

I would LOVE to know Chuck's opinions on the "Commerce Clause", perhaps one of the most warped Constitutional provisions of all time.

As soon as Kim said to Jimmy "think of all the things you want to say to me and say them to me later", I knew the car wreck was coming. I got a sick feeling. I thought it really was the end for Kim Wexler. I was relieved to see her get out of the car, but was surprised they showed us that. Holding it over and leaving us in the dark would have created a lot of anticipation for next weeks finale. It says a lot about the confidence of the writers of this show that they don't feel they need to use such tricks to maintain their audience.

So sad that next weeks episode will have to hold us over for the better part of a year. MORE EPISODES PLRASE!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So sad that next weeks episode will have to hold us over for the better part of a year.
They may have to hold you over forever. Word is Noah Hawley is ready to retire the Fargo Reboot. He's got so much on his plate--he also is the showrunner for Legion (weird but amazing!), and is exec producing the upcoming adaptation of Cat's Cradle.

Between these other time killers, and his general feeling that he's run his course with Fargo, I think next week may be our last Fargo.

Part of me is sad, Fargo is one of the best things on TV these days. But I understand the let's go out on our terms approach.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
They may have to hold you over forever. Word is Noah Hawley is ready to retire the Fargo Reboot. He's got so much on his plate--he also is the showrunner for Legion (weird but amazing!), and is exec producing the upcoming adaptation of Cat's Cradle.

Between these other time killers, and his general feeling that he's run his course with Fargo, I think next week may be our last Fargo.

Part of me is sad, Fargo is one of the best things on TV these days. But I understand the let's go out on our terms approach.
What does this have to do with BCS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV