Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Is there something about a show that you love that seems off kilter? Something that brings that show down a notch - even a tiny notch?

For example, Gunsmoke: In the openings of the 1/2 hour B&W episodes, Matt faces off with a gunman in the middle of the street. You watch both men from a prospective that is slightly behind Matt. The music builds, both continue to stand still until... Camera angle switches to slightly in front of Matt as he draws his gun and shoots. Bad guy dead!

Unfortunately this is a Greedo-esque moment because they never show the other man even twitch. Could it be that Matt drew first? Knowing his character, probably not, BUT there is room for doubt.

IMO, before they cut to the angle showing Matt firing, they should have shown the bad guy going for his gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Luke from Gilmore Girls.

I thought he was one of the more moral characters of the show, but when he didn't try to talk Dean out of getting married, even when he had plenty of reason & opportunity to, I thought that was just wrong.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Luke from Gilmore Girls.

I thought he was one of the more moral characters of the show, but when he didn't try to talk Dean out of getting married, even when he had plenty of reason & opportunity to, I thought that was just wrong.
He didn't like to intervene. He was not happy with Rory when she started dating him again while he was still married.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Bonanza and The Big Valley were more or less the same show....wealth patriarch/matriarch and offspring in the old west. What was odd about both of them, or rather among the odd things about these shows, was that both the Barkleys and the Cartwrights were compelled to kill an awful lot of people week after week, but every single one was a justified homicide which never got questioned by the local law. However, all the members of both families seemed prone to being arrested and charged with murder...only when they didn't do it.

They were also prone to being kidnapped frequently, going blind and recovering their sight frequently, and watching all of their romances end up in tragedy.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:27 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Police shows where they have the bad guy surrounded in a circle and all the cops have guns aimed at him in the middle. If they ever start shooting they will be shooting at each other.

Another one is every time they go on a job in some shows they chamber another round in their automatic pistols. Geeze, once a day is enough.:

Old 08-17-2017, 02:35 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Any show that featured an old/ugly/fat/slob of a husband and a hot wife.

Just a link for a refresher.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

The Sopranos, as well as featuring the listed Tony/Carmella coupling, had a reverse engineered couple, the slender Johnny Sack and his 275 pound wife.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
George and Louise Jefferson
James and Florida Evans

Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

In most of those cases, the wife isn't really characterized as a "hot" wife. She's really meant to be fairly "average".

Gloria Pritchard is definitely one of the exceptions.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:16 PM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
Not a favorite show of mine by any means, but there about a dozen Married With Children episodes from the first several seasons that are OK.

Initially, when Katy Sagal read for the part, her character was supposed to be a sloppy, hair in curlers/bathrobe always on, trailer trash type, but Sagal refused.

I know it's only a show, but, regarding MWC...here's a household with only one paycheck coming in that supposedly is capable of supporting a family of four's (five counting the dog) daily eating requirements and ever-changing fashion desires, while still making monthly mortgage payments and all other associated monetary commitments!

Oh, and don't forget the occasional trips to the doctors, dentists, and vet.

I don't know how many times they wore the same outfit week after week, if in fact they did (?), but I'll bet their wardrobe changed more than those on Gilligan's Island...and IIRC, Peg never shopped in the bargain basement either!

I don't particularly care when animals or babies start talking or thinking out loud whether in TV shows, commercials, or in movies, and their dog did the latter of the two.

The MA'MM bit seemed to evolve out of ratings desperation and carried over too much for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV