Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 01:30 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Grammer says a new Frasier TV show is happening. Headlines keep calling it a "reboot," but if you read the article, it really ins't. It's more a sequel.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...n-summer-2020/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 06:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
And in the sequel Frasier has abandoned his career as a therapist and decided to model himself on his old man and become a policeman. It is set in Chicago which has been overrun by the walking dead, and each week Frazier has to battle zombies.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And in the sequel Frasier has abandoned his career as a therapist and decided to model himself on his old man and become a policeman. It is set in Chicago which has been overrun by the walking dead, and each week Frazier has to battle zombies.
With a dragon for his partner - dragons are hot right now.....

Old 11-11-2019, 08:42 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
I've been streaming Frasier lately, in episodic order.

It's a classic sitcom and it is done very well. The professions of the brothers are richly mined for humor, as are the interactions of the duo with all their blue-collar/down-to-earth associates (Martin, Daphne, Roz, etc.). All are masters of physical comedy in both the pratfall as well as the saying-it-all-with-a-look senses. It really stands out in an age where sitcoms have been increasingly 'breaking the mold' (necessarily, IMO) for the past 2+ decades.

I'm currently in Season 4 and it is still amusing but I know I getting close to the end of my viewing. There's no way I'll watch anywhere close to the entire eleven seasons. Why? Because it's mostly done all it's going to do. It entertains, but the jokes are more variations on the same thing. And I know the will-they-or-won't-they Niles & Daphne dynamic will soon be changing, as it inevitably must, but shows always lose something when that happens (again, as it must).

Since I won't be watching another seven seasons of the same, I certainly have no interest in a Martin-less Frasier: The Golden Years. And, let's be honest, it won't be the same. You can't go back again.

On the other hand, it's existence doesn't bother me. Why would that bother me? I always find it bizarre when people get up in arms about airing of something they don't want to watch. Just don't watch it! Problem solved.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Since I won't be watching another seven seasons of the same, I certainly have no interest in a Martin-less Frasier: The Golden Years. And, let's be honest, it won't be the same. You can't go back again.
I remember people said essentially the same thing post-CHEERS when FRASIER was first announced. Not only did FRASIER turn out to be as good as CHEERS, it was actually better.

If the new one does try to "go back" as you say, then yes, I think it will most likely fail.

But if they try to "go forward" and really do something new with at least some of the same characters, it all comes down to the writing. If the writers come through, it might be great again. Otherwise ... scrambled eggs all over his face.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:08 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I remember people said essentially the same thing post-CHEERS when FRASIER was first announced. Not only did FRASIER turn out to be as good as CHEERS, it was actually better.

If the new one does try to "go back" as you say, then yes, I think it will most likely fail.

But if they try to "go forward" and really do something new with at least some of the same characters, it all comes down to the writing. If the writers come through, it might be great again. Otherwise ... scrambled eggs all over his face.
I agree. The writing on Fraiser was very clever. Each episode was written as if it were a play in the theater with distinct acts. Of course, the acting was magnificent too, but the excellent quality of the writing is what made it a success.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:

It's a classic sitcom and it is done very well. The professions of the brothers are richly mined for humor, as are the interactions of the duo with all their blue-collar/down-to-earth associates (Martin, Daphne, Roz, etc.). All are masters of physical comedy in both the pratfall as well as the saying-it-all-with-a-look senses. It really stands out in an age where sitcoms have been increasingly 'breaking the mold' (necessarily, IMO) for the past 2+ decades.

I'm currently in Season 4 and it is still amusing but I know I getting close to the end of my viewing. There's no way I'll watch anywhere close to the entire eleven seasons. Why? Because it's mostly done all it's going to do. It entertains, but the jokes are more variations on the same thing. And I know the will-they-or-won't-they Niles & Daphne dynamic will soon be changing, as it inevitably must, but shows always lose something when that happens (again, as it must).

On the other hand, it's existence doesn't bother me. Why would that bother me? I always find it bizarre when people get up in arms about airing of something they don't want to watch. Just don't watch it! Problem solved.
You might be very wrong about that. I recommend you keep going. You haven't even seen "Roz and the Schnozz" yet. My favorite of them all.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:42 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:

I think the "Nanny G" episode was toward the end of the series. My son and I were laughing so hard that we were crying. You can't miss that one. Laurie Metcalf played Nanny G.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think the "Nanny G" episode was toward the end of the series. My son and I were laughing so hard that we were crying. You can't miss that one. Laurie Metcalf played Nanny G.
That episode had one of the show's best self referencing moments. Nanny G is complaining to Frasier about how long she has had to portray Nanny G. She asks Frasier "Do you have any idea what it's like to have to play the same character for twenty years?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

That is a matter of opinion. But then I'm not a Kelsey Grammar fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV