Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 09:31 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times

Advertisements

You really can't do a reboot without Martin Crane.

This show is going to suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 09:45 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think the challenge is most of the writers have either passed away or retired. Can a younger generation of writers pull off the same magic?
Depends on the writers.

But we are currently living in a golden era of television. TV today is FAR better than it was in the '90s. I'd be much more concerned about network interference. CBS isn't actually known for taking creative risks. Of all the Big Four networks, CBS is probably the most conservative and risk-averse.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:01 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depends on the writers.

But we are currently living in a golden era of television. TV today is FAR better than it was in the '90s. I'd be much more concerned about network interference. CBS isn't actually known for taking creative risks. Of all the Big Four networks, CBS is probably the most conservative and risk-averse.
There are some really good shows and some really bad shows. Some just seem to run out of steam. The "FBI" was really good in the beginning. As they have changed some people it has become stale.
And "Young Sheldon" is boring this season.
I don't know if the writers get complacent or just run out of ideas.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:03 AM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
My general attitude toward most of these reboots is this --

An hour long special to update us on the fictional characters since we last saw them...fine. Another whole series...not sure it's usually justified. But, then again, most of what gets on broadcast television is as bad or worse. Let the chips fall where they may.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:24 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
I love Frasier and honestly if they do a reboot I will probably watch with one eye open and one ear covered out of fear that it will be just another crappy reboot of a good show.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:48 AM

307 posts, read 255,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My general attitude toward most of these reboots is this --

An hour long special to update us on the fictional characters since we last saw them...fine. Another whole series...not sure it's usually justified. But, then again, most of what gets on broadcast television is as bad or worse. Let the chips fall where they may.

Thank you! agreed 100%....this was the problem I saw with the Roseanne (now The Conners) reboot as well as Fuller House (technically a spin off but really more like a mix between reboot and spin off). I watched most of the 1st season out of pure morbid curiosity but it left me feeling pretty empty and basically missing the original show more. (full house was loads of cheesy but it was a childhood show for me)

Edit: As for a Frasier reboot? Well, I loved the early seasons of the original but like I said above i bet it will be pretty hollow especially since John Mahoney won't be there.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:39 AM

748 posts, read 339,134 times
Quote:
Of all the Big Four networks, CBS is probably the most conservative and risk-averse.
Frasier (and Cheers) were produced by CBS (Viacom) - though were shows on NBC.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:51 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz713 View Post
GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION?

Oh dear. Network television? GOLDEN????????????? Oh dear.
Yes. Television today is better than it has ever been --- but none of the good stuff is on the Big Four networks. The good stuff is on cable or streaming.

In fact, TV has been so good for the past 10-15 years or so, we need a new word. Platinum Age maybe?

Old 02-04-2021, 05:22 PM

10,100 posts, read 1,022,663 times
I would watch this show

Old 02-04-2021, 05:52 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ditto.

If it's just a rehash of the old show, I doubt it will fly. But if they find a good idea and the writing is good, who knows?

I remember back when the first Frasier was announced. People said, "Ugh! CHEERS was great, but it's over! What a dumb idea! Doesn't Hollywood have any new ideas?" Sound familiar?

But Frasier turned out to be way better than CHEERS ever was. If the writers can pull it off, it might be gold. If not ...
I always thought there was such a disconnect, though. The Frasier of Frasier wouldn't have been caught dead in a "neighborhood bar" full of blue-collar drinkers and their drama. Martin, yes. Frasier, no. If Frasier ever had to go in to drag Martin out, at least a 50/50 chance he'd go in disguise so no one would see him there... (hilarity would ensue, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Walker Texas Ranger is even getting a reboot. They tried to do a sequel for NYPD blue even. They rebooted Hawaii-Five 0, Magnum PI. They tried to reboot Beverly Hills 90210, and Melrose Place even. Geez how desperate can you get?
Everything has been getting a reboot. That's most of what movies have been for years-- reboots/remakes/sequels, or superhero movies. It's been going on for at least 10 years now (if you don't count the second Star Wars trilogy)... I would've thought they'd be on to a new "trend" by now, but nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV