Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2023, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 341 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for the 'Frasier.' reboot with bated breath but an awful lot of trepidation. Given that the original run was such a massive hit it's got a lot to live up to and I desperately hope that it doesn't just fall on its face and sully the show's legacy.

As far as cameo appearances are concerned; on balance I think it would be wiser not to have any of the main cast come back. Those characters' arcs were all nicely wrapped up by the end of Season 11 (which on the whole I unfortunately thought was a very poor Season with some terrible episodes and a criminally rushed romance involving Charlotte as played by Laura Kinney). So in a sense, what would be the point of a lot of distracting cameos? They could just get in the way of this reboot finding its feet on its own terms.

All I can say is that the cast of this reboot is going to have to be exceptional if the show is going to have a chance of getting anywhere close to capturing the magic of the original run, and the writers are going to need a really solid grasp on what made 'Frasier.' work so well.

I really dohope it works but I have to admit, I've got a bad feeling about it.

I wish this show the best of luck but I have a horrible feeling that it's going to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 07:04 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
while I am also a Frasier fan, as I watch thr 4 episoides every night, they are starting to grate on my nerves with the constant yelling all the time.
frasier and the father all they ever do is yell and scream at each other, and frasier has like a gothic type of scream as well, and sometimes it does get annoying.

the ski lodge was on this past weekend, one of the best.

I didnt like the valentines one with the mixed messages from the woman, she got on my nerves.

I also dont think the old cast should be on, otherwise it wont be like something new.
I do hope it works and they a good cast and no one annoyoing.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:16 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,339,491 times
The Fraiser reboot is definitely going forward with the very capable Nicolas Lyndhurst joining the cast as Frasier's old college friend, Alan Cornwall, now a boozy and larger than life professor. This sounds like fun.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/news...ar-in-frasier/

Old 01-16-2023, 10:30 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,223,173 times
I think it'll be tough to recapture the charm and appeal of the original series. That show was a remarkable blend of acting and writing that doesn't happen all that often.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:04 AM

6,819 posts, read 4,267,083 times
Kelsey Grammar debuted as Frasier in 1984. He was 29 years old then. It's now 2023, and he is turning 68 in a few weeks. The show's been off the air for 18 years now.

It'd be impossible for it to be the same show with the same actors in the same roles unless you want to make a show about people in retirement. Every actor playing every main character in the show is either 60+ or dead now.

"Frasier" was in essence a show about yuppies veering into middle age and trying to 'sort it out'. Frasier was meant to be around 40, his brother in his mid 30s. The show ended with Frasier as a 50 year old trying to find a new start and Niles having a family. Fast forward nearly 20 years and it's obvious that you'd need a new set of characters, a new scenario and a new tone.

The fact it's happening at all in my mind just shows that in the age of a gazillion content providers which all need a steady flow of new projects it's much easier to get any idea green lit than it was in the age of 3-4 networks controlling who gets to do what, or even the age of cable where a few more players had been added to the mix. I don't think it's a good thing.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:38 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,236,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Kelsey Grammar debuted as Frasier in 1984. He was 29 years old then. It's now 2023, and he is turning 68 in a few weeks. The show's been off the air for 18 years now.

It'd be impossible for it to be the same show with the same actors in the same roles unless you want to make a show about people in retirement. Every actor playing every main character in the show is either 60+ or dead now.

"Frasier" was in essence a show about yuppies veering into middle age and trying to 'sort it out'. Frasier was meant to be around 40, his brother in his mid 30s. The show ended with Frasier as a 50 year old trying to find a new start and Niles having a family. Fast forward nearly 20 years and it's obvious that you'd need a new set of characters, a new scenario and a new tone.

The fact it's happening at all in my mind just shows that in the age of a gazillion content providers which all need a steady flow of new projects it's much easier to get any idea green lit than it was in the age of 3-4 networks controlling who gets to do what, or even the age of cable where a few more players had been added to the mix. I don't think it's a good thing.
Yep - one podcast I listen to said that over 500 scripted shows were released in 2022.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:42 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
would it be like "and just like that", the re boot of "sex and the city", but now they are older.

people grow and change, so Frasier can't be exactly the way he was 20 years ago, and neither can the other characters.
maybe Roz finally did get married and maybe divorced, Alice can be a teen most likely now,
the father obviously did die, so he is taken care of.
maybe Niles and Daphne had more children, maybe he set up a new practice in another state.

Daphnes mom can have died also.

so many things would have changed.

I will watch it and see what they create for him.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:44 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
‘Frasier’: Jack Cutmore-Scott To Play Frasier’s Son Freddy In Sequel For Paramount+

Read the entire thing: https://deadline.com/2023/01/frasier...st-1235221548/

Excerpt:
Quote:
Charming and handsome, Frasier’s son Freddy (Cutmore-Scott) is a nuanced combination of his father and grandfather. Years ago, Freddy rejected following in his father’s footsteps—dropping out of college to become a fireman—and he’s never looked back until now, when recent troubles have left him with no one to turn to in his life. If they can overcome past differences, Freddy and Frasier might finally have a chance to repair old wounds.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:02 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,223,173 times
I think it's inevitable (and natural, probably) that fans of the original series will judge it against the new series. In that respect, the new show will almost certainly come up lacking. Hopefully, most viewers will judge it on it's own merits.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:15 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I think it's inevitable (and natural, probably) that fans of the original series will judge it against the new series. In that respect, the new show will almost certainly come up lacking.
Agreed. But I am old enough to remember the exact same thing happening about FRASIER --- only the Internet wasn't nearly as prevalent back then. Still, the diehard CHEERS fans were all lined up to hate FRASIER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV