Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 04:37 PM

22,933 posts, read 28,314,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is a matter of opinion. But then I'm not a Kelsey Grammar fan.
I'm really not either. FRASIER was brilliant on the strength of its writing and an all-around great cast. Grammer was the star, but it was generally the supporting cast who stole the show.

And as much as I enjoy CHEERS, I never found it the be-all and end-all of 1980s TV. It was a good show, but not great. And it went on a good three or four seasons longer than it should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,090,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Mixed feelings. I *loved* Frasier, and occasionally still watch it late at night when I'm flipping. By far (IMHO), the best written & acted sitcom of the last 25 years.

But... it's very hard to catch lightning twice. There were so many amazing parts to the recipe, and that's why it's still the most Emmy winning sitcom ever. There was the family interplay between Frasier, Niles & their dad (RIP). The decade-long undercurrent of Niles towards Daphne. The work setting, with Frasier playing off Roz, and all the characters from the station. And all the guest stars, who played love interests, work interests and general cameos.

And Eddie. Eddie made the show.

I just don't know if that can be duplicated. As I understand, they are looking to carry it forward with Grammer as Frasier, but no other original cast. Not sure how I feel about that.

If it was me, I'd let it rest in peace, as the greatest sitcom ever. Or perhaps tied with Seinfeld, although they are really different types of series.

I agree. Most will expect the magic of the first series which can’t be duplicated as cast have died or moved on. It’ll last barely a season and that’ll be it. Let’s just enjoy the memories.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:08 PM

https://tvline.com/2021/02/01/frasie...ammer-revival/

Quote:
Frasier Revival Eyed at Paramount+
By Michael Ausiello / February 1 2021, 8:16 AM PST

Insert requisite tossed-salad-and-scrambled-eggs lede here because that long-gestating Frasier revival may finally be on the verge of hatching.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Paramount+ — the streamer soon to be formerly known as CBS All Access — is circling the years-in-the-making project, which would find Kelsey Grammer reprising his iconic role of Dr. Frasier Crane. (Frasier is, of course, a Paramount property.)

A Paramount+ rep did not respond to TVLine’s request for comment. A CBS TV Studios spokesperson, meanwhile, declined to comment.

News of the potential new iteration first broke in July 2018. At the time, it was revealed that the revival would find Grammer’s Seattle-based shrink decamping to a different city. The following month, Grammer stressed that the quality threshold was understandably high given the original series’ stories history (Frasier garnered 37 Emmys during its 11-season run).

“[We] have to make sure it’s going to be a great show,” he noted at the time. “If it’s not a great show, and if we don’t hear a pitch that hits it out of the park, it probably won’t happen.”

In addition to Grammer, the comedy starred David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane, Frasier’s younger brother; Jane Leeves as Daphne Moon, Frasier’s live-in housekeeper and Niles’ eventual love interest; Peri Gilpin as Roz Doyle, the producer of Frasier’s radio show; and the late John Mahoney as Martin Crane, Frasier’s father.

According to sources, the hope is that Pierce, Leeves and Gilpin would all be involved in the revival in some capacity. If the project is greenlit (and an insider maintains that it is still very much in the if stage), we’re told shooting could begin as early as this summer (after Grammer wraps production on Season 1 of his forthcoming, untitled ABC multi-cam comedy co-starring Alec Baldwin).

As previously reported, CBS All Access is set to be rebranded as Paramount+ on March 4. The new service will combine original content with shows from CBS and cable outlets MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount Network and Nickelodeon.

Paramount+ recently ordered a revival of the wildly popular Nickelodeon comedy iCarly, with original stars Miranda Cosgrove (Carly), Jerry Trainor (Spencer) and Nathan Kress (Freddie) all set to return.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:27 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,148,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree. Most will expect the magic of the first series which can’t be duplicated as cast have died or moved on. It’ll last barely a season and that’ll be it. Let’s just enjoy the memories.
During quarantine we watched the entire Frasier series. When you watch it in succession you see patterns. One thing we realized is that the character of Frasier really wasn't the star. His co-stars actually drove the most entertaining storylines.

Niles Crane was the breakout star. I even said if he wasn't on the show it would have never had a long run.

If they try a reboot without the co-stars it won't work.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:47 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
With John Mahoney and Eddie dead, would David Hyde Pierce come back? How about Jane Leeves? Peri Gilpin has not acted since 2016.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:53 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,243,953 times
Mixed feelings about this. Frasier is one of my all-time favorite shows. I'll still watch it if I happen to be up at 1am flipping around (Hallmark!). 37 Emmy Awards, still the record for a broadcast channel, only surpassed by Game of Thrones. The writers were as good as there were in the business, writing sharp, witty, honest humor. You laughed because it was funny, not because it was stupid, like so many sitcoms today (looking at you, Call Your Mother). And the ensemble cast, second to none. And Eddie.

But like all super hit shows, writers move on, they die, actors move on, they die. Times change. Talk radio? Do TV viewers even know what that is? And the magic of Frasier & Niles? Tough to recreate. The original cast is all 60+. Not sure that resonates with streaming viewers. A new cast? Then it ain't Frasier. As others have said, the secret sauce of this show was everyone around Frasier.

It's really really hard to imagine a show like this succeeding now. But if it comes back, I'll certainly give it a try.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:03 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
With John Mahoney and Eddie dead, would David Hyde Pierce come back? How about Jane Leeves? Peri Gilpin has not acted since 2016.
I doubt that Jane Leeves would. She has a good part as a surgeon on that hospital show on "The Resident".

Old 02-01-2021, 09:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
LOL Hollyweird running out of ideas again.

They already did a reboot or continuation of Mad About You. When they bringing back Seinfeld?

Walker Texas Ranger is even getting a reboot. They tried to do a sequel for NYPD blue even. They rebooted Hawaii-Five 0, Magnum PI. They tried to reboot Beverly Hills 90210, and Melrose Place even. Geez how desperate can you get?

I really want a reboot of Baywatch, but I guess the SJW culture wont allow it. But I really want it.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Mixed feelings about this. Frasier is one of my all-time favorite shows. I'll still watch it if I happen to be up at 1am flipping around (Hallmark!). 37 Emmy Awards, still the record for a broadcast channel, only surpassed by Game of Thrones. The writers were as good as there were in the business, writing sharp, witty, honest humor. You laughed because it was funny, not because it was stupid, like so many sitcoms today (looking at you, Call Your Mother). And the ensemble cast, second to none. And Eddie.

But like all super hit shows, writers move on, they die, actors move on, they die. Times change. Talk radio? Do TV viewers even know what that is? And the magic of Frasier & Niles? Tough to recreate. The original cast is all 60+. Not sure that resonates with streaming viewers. A new cast? Then it ain't Frasier. As others have said, the secret sauce of this show was everyone around Frasier.

It's really really hard to imagine a show like this succeeding now. But if it comes back, I'll certainly give it a try.
Ditto.

If it's just a rehash of the old show, I doubt it will fly. But if they find a good idea and the writing is good, who knows?

I remember back when the first Frasier was announced. People said, "Ugh! CHEERS was great, but it's over! What a dumb idea! Doesn't Hollywood have any new ideas?" Sound familiar?

But Frasier turned out to be way better than CHEERS ever was. If the writers can pull it off, it might be gold. If not ...

Old 02-02-2021, 09:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,243,953 times
Quote:
The original cast is all 60+. Not sure that resonates with streaming viewers.
Actually, that's probably not a big deal. I just thought of Kominsky Method, a big hit for Netflix, with "old people". While I still feel this is doomed (and probably won't actually get greenlit), I do walk back this one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz713 View Post
Moose (Eddie) is dead too, did you know that?
Frasier ran from 1993 to 2004. Moose portrayed Eddie from the start, until 2000, when he retired. His son Enzo then took over, playing Eddie until the series ended.

Moose lived from 1990 to 2006. Enzo lived from 1995 to 2010. The average lifespan of a Jack Russell Terrier is 14 years. We had one from 2001 to 2015.

Enzo played the dog Skip, in My Dog Skip. His dad Moose played the older Skip in a few scenes.

I have Moose's autobiography, My Life as a Dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ditto.

If it's just a rehash of the old show, I doubt it will fly. But if they find a good idea and the writing is good, who knows?

I remember back when the first Frasier was announced. People said, "Ugh! CHEERS was great, but it's over! What a dumb idea! Doesn't Hollywood have any new ideas?" Sound familiar?

But Frasier turned out to be way better than CHEERS ever was. If the writers can pull it off, it might be gold. If not ...
I think the challenge is most of the writers have either passed away or retired. Can a younger generation of writers pull off the same magic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV