Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:23 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times

Advertisements

I belong to a TAR email list where one of the folks is almost obsessed w/ the show. She always has the most up to date spoilers, knows where they're going, when, etc. knows someone on the show. hasn't been wrong in the past 3 years. Hopefully this is the end of her streak. Apparently security concerns (after Mumbai and Bangkok) and production costs (tickets up to $4000 each) have overcome it. Hope she's wrong.

ETA: Apparently on Bonnie Hunt's show yesterday, Phil signed the mat they've used for the past 14 seasons and gave it away for charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I did a quick skim of some generally reliable reality show boards, and no one there has brought up cancellation rumors yet.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I belong to a TAR email list where one of the folks is almost obsessed w/ the show. She always has the most up to date spoilers, knows where they're going, when, etc. knows someone on the show. hasn't been wrong in the past 3 years. Hopefully this is the end of her streak. Apparently security concerns (after Mumbai and Bangkok) and production costs (tickets up to $4000 each) have overcome it. Hope she's wrong.

ETA: Apparently on Bonnie Hunt's show yesterday, Phil signed the mat they've used for the past 14 seasons and gave it away for charity.
Did something happen to one of the racers in either Mumbai or Bangkok? I seem to remember a woman getting groped on a train in India in an older season of TAR, but it didn't seem like a huge threat. Do you know more?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Did something happen to one of the racers in either Mumbai or Bangkok? I seem to remember a woman getting groped on a train in India in an older season of TAR, but it didn't seem like a huge threat. Do you know more?
Nothing happened to the people w/ TAR but the terrorist attacks that seem to happen around the globe I can see starting to limit where they can travel to. I hope they don't cancel this show though. WE LOVE IT! One of the only reality shows we watch faithfully and as a family. It is actually somewhat educational.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I did a quick skim of some generally reliable reality show boards, and no one there has brought up cancellation rumors yet.
I'm hoping she's wrong!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
There was a 2 day terror attack in Mumbai recently and the stand off @ the airport in Bangkok that lasted a week give or take a day.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
There was a 2 day terror attack in Mumbai recently and the stand off @ the airport in Bangkok that lasted a week give or take a day.
I was aware of the recent news stories, I was just wondering if something had actually happened to one of the race participants in a previous run. Terrorism isn't a novelty and it happens here too - I can't imagine that they would decide to cancel one of the most successful reality shows based on the potential to get involved in a stand-off. Maybe they can stick to countries where the threat is not as imminent?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM

well, they've been to both cities quite a few times. I think they went to Mumbai again this past season no? so I'm sure it's a concern. I wasn't saying they're going to take it off the air based on that alone, I was just saying I'm sure it's a concern now more than ever.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
I was aware of the recent news stories, I was just wondering if something had actually happened to one of the race participants in a previous run. Terrorism isn't a novelty and it happens here too - I can't imagine that they would decide to cancel one of the most successful reality shows based on the potential to get involved in a stand-off. Maybe they can stick to countries where the threat is not as imminent?
There was an incident in Morocco way back in the third race when a team got detained by a local official who started demanding that they surrender their passports to them, and the implication was that production/security had to pay a bribe to the official to keep them out of jail. It's one of two times I can remember the show has notably show or talk about production people on screen. (When the Stackomatic brothers rolled a SUV in southern Africa and their cameraman ended up needing to go to the hospital a couple races later was the other) IIRC, Colin managed to get out of trouble on his own over the cabbie situation.

I wonder if part of the rumors could be because of insurance reasons. It probably never was cheap to insure the show, and after Mumbai/Bangkok a lot of people in that business probably raised their rates.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:56 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,508 times
Quote:
well, they've been to both cities quite a few times. I think they went to Mumbai again this past season no? so I'm sure it's a concern. I wasn't saying they're going to take it off the air based on that alone, I was just saying I'm sure it's a concern now more than ever.
I don't know what the big attraction is to go to Mumbai every race. I mean...there are other huge cities with language barriers that would be safer than India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV