Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times

Advertisements

The character development in the two shows^^ is just ingeniously done.

I look forward to re-watching but won’t have time for awhile.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
Both shows are just phenomenal and a testament to how character can radically change given the right circumstances, particulary dire ones.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
IDK why this was folded into the BB thread. But that is a no for me. I like Better Call Saul, but for me they are totally different shows.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
WW and Saul are similar in so many ways. Both are highly intelligent and persuasive. Both men reach a point where they have nothing left to lose. Both are risk takers.

I think WW was braver, Saul is a bit more timid as far as physical altercations, but brave in taking chances.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:37 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
WW and Saul are similar in so many ways. Both are highly intelligent and persuasive. Both men reach a point where they have nothing left to lose. Both are risk takers.

I think WW was braver, Saul is a bit more timid as far as physical altercations, but brave in taking chances.

Something Chuck said in his farewell to Jimmy.. Not the letter, but the last time Jimmy saw him.. I know I won't get the quote right, but.. I'll get the point of it across.

Jimmy is the kind of person who will do something bad, and then ACTUALLY feel bad about doing that thing. And will apologize for doing it.. And then will do it again.

I think Chuck's quote was "Why put on the show? You're going to do these things, why feel bad about it? It's who you are."

I think that's the different between Jimmy and WW. Jimmy deep down does have regret for some of the things he does.. But.. I think he winds up taking Chuck's words to heart.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
IDK why this was folded into the BB thread. But that is a no for me. I like Better Call Saul, but for me they are totally different shows.
I agree, two different shows.....but Saul is a spin off of BB....so that may be the"why"

Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Is anyone in this show likable? I don't find myself invested in or caring about any of the characters and that includes Walter White. Maybe it is still too early and the relationships need to be formed still.

I'm about halfway through season 2 and I am having hard time finding myself really wanting to watch this show consistently. I'll stick with it but I'm not binge watching it like I did with Dexter which is for now my all time favorite drama series. But admittedly I have only really seen Sopranos, Dexter and now Breaking Bad.

There is an obvious plot similarity between Dexter and Breaking Bad where they have a secret life and we are waiting to see when and what happens when their loved ones find out what they do.

Dexter's secret life lead to the death of ones that he loved and cared about. It would be naive to think the same won't happen to Walter White. And Walter's BIL, Hank, is the Breaking Bad version of Dexter's sister Deb. For nearly the entire length of the series "Dexter" we were wondering how and when Deb would discover Dexter's "dark passenger" and what direction that would take the show. I suspect that for most of Breaking Bad we will be waiting for Hank to discover Walter's secret and what will then ensue.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Is anyone in this show likable? I don't find myself invested in or caring about any of the characters and that includes Walter White. Maybe it is still too early and the relationships need to be formed still.

I'm about halfway through season 2 and I am having hard time finding myself really wanting to watch this show consistently. I'll stick with it but I'm not binge watching it like I did with Dexter which is for now my all time favorite drama series. But admittedly I have only really seen Sopranos, Dexter and now Breaking Bad.

There is an obvious plot similarity between Dexter and Breaking Bad where they have a secret life and we are waiting to see when and what happens when their loved ones find out what they do.

Dexter's secret life lead to the death of ones that he loved and cared about. It would be naive to think the same won't happen to Walter White. And Walter's BIL, Hank, is the Breaking Bad version of Dexter's sister Deb. For nearly the entire length of the series "Dexter" we were wondering how and when Deb would discover Dexter's "dark passenger" and what direction that would take the show. I suspect that for most of Breaking Bad we will be waiting for Hank to discover Walter's secret and what will then ensue.
I like Jesse the most - Walter was a jerk for much of it although he was "my jerk" so I always rooted for him. But Jesse, he really struggled and he was used A LOT so...

Anyway, we, who watched it with baited breath each week, were always waiting for Hank to discover Walter - stick with it if you want to find out! I loved this show but I'm not sure how much of it I would watch again - it was masterful in so many artful ways, but it was definitely heavy. On a side note, I'm really enjoying Better Call Saul, which is really a prequel and has some overlap but it's all about Saul Goodman.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:35 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Is anyone in this show likable?
Likable? No. Not so much in the first couple of seasons, unless you count secondary characters like Walt Jr or Mr. Archuleta.

Sympathetic? Yes. Absolutely. Every character is sympathetic or at least entertaining. Even if you don't want them to win and hate what they're doing, you totally understand why they're doing it.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,533,348 times
I felt that way about Breaking Bad when I first saw some of the episodes, on first run. I just couldn't really get into the show, didnt like the characters.

But I kept hearing a buzz about the show, how addictive it was. My wife and I liked that addiction on some other shows, like Lost, Heroes, The Following, Bates Motel....So finally we were able to binge Breaking Bad about 4 years ago and we loved it. Great characters, writing, plot, production, details, music - everything is well done on this show, really have to nitpick to find anything negative to say about it. Currently ending the 3rd binge and I am still greatly entertained by this show.

Hang on with it, the show gets better after the first 2 seasons. Try not to read too much about plot points or characters or anything about the show - it makes it much better the less you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV