Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 4,233 times

Advertisements

You don't know how much I envy you people in US for having such good television (I am from India). I mean what else you need when you have HBO alone? I hv been tripping on True Blood (in its highly censored version :P), Big Love (highly underrated), now No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency is beginning from tomorrow (how is it in your opinion?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,421,222 times
Well, what did you think about the season finale? I used to love this show but frankly they kinda lost me this season. I loved the first season, liked the second, but this season seems to be too over the top, even for a show with such a crazy premise. What do you think about season 3 in relation to the previous seasons?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,028,508 times
Stick a fork in me, I'm done with True Blood. Last season was not as entertaining as the first. This season was just so-so at best. Too many things going on now.
Spoiler
Sookie, we know not where she is, now. Bill was fighting the Queen when last seen. Hoyts mother buys a rifle. I really didn't see what was in the house that Hoyt and Jessica are moving into. Tara drives past Merlottes, when last seen. Sam shot or shot at his brother. Layfette discovers that his boyfriend is a witch. Jason is caring for a community of werepanthers.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 PM

37,809 posts, read 41,101,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Well, what did you think about the season finale? I used to love this show but frankly they kinda lost me this season. I loved the first season, liked the second, but this season seems to be too over the top, even for a show with such a crazy premise. What do you think about season 3 in relation to the previous seasons?
Season 1 was very good. It reminded me of Twin Peaks Season 1. The whole season was devoted to finding out who the killer was. There were side stories but that was the overall one and I liked it. They killed off the only voice of reason in Gran.

In Season 2, the Godric (the voice of reason in Season 2) burning on the rooftop and the two episodes preceding it, to me, were the highlight of the season. The whole Maryann thing seemed like just an excuse to show some skin and I still don't see what Tara or the producers saw in Eggs, a dope-smoking layabout who sponged off Maryann. Yeah Maryann had him kill for her but he didn't know that. He was perfectly content to sit around all day and do nothing but play some tunes and get high. At least Tara went to work. I'd like to know exactly what made Tara constantly call him "a good man." What we observed of him didn't match the sentiment expressed and to have it continue on into Season 3?. I also really liked the idea of the Fellowship of the Sun for conflict. Again, they killed off the voice of reason in Godric.

In Season 3, I thought Russell Edgington was a great villain, Talbot was hilarious and Franklin was a psycho. All good.

The finale was anti-climactic. The highlight of this season was Edgington killing the news anchor and putting the PC people in a state of shock and the best story line was supernatural politics. But, it seems to me that because of the doings at the Edgington house, a lot of characters in Bon Ton from Seasons 1 and 2 were given busy work in Season 3 because they weren't tied to the main Edgington story at all. They had their own little stories that went nowhere and were filler. Example: Does anyone think if they eliminated the whole quarterback story anyone would care? What exactly did Andy do this season? He had a great scene with Tara at Merlotte's but he was non-essential to this season and I really like him. Ditto the two mothers (Hoyt's and Tara's). It seems like they have no idea what to do with Hoyt. Being somebody's boyfriend or son is not a story so how long are they going to stretch that one. Lafayette had a boyfriend, too. Again, having a boyfriend is just a state of being. It's not a story, to me. I was bored during the too long Jesus/Lafayette V trip. I like Alcide a lot. He was the voice of reason in Season 3...and they didn't kill him off...but compared to the books, I thought he was underused. He said on one of the clips (Comic-Con maybe) that he was asked to be a regular so maybe Season 4 they'll give him a story. Sam's family story was the only one that came close to the Edgington story. I think I was more stressed than he was over them. Any bets on Tommy Mickens? Jason did not get the Charlaine Harris books' treatment with the panthers. I'm thinking about that. It may have been a good move on the part of the writers. I was sad to see Lorena go. She also was a good villain. The faerie scenes in faerie land looked cool but seemed like a pointless time waster.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM

7,392 posts, read 5,504,991 times
Loved season one. Season two was OK. I liked season three at first but then it got a little too bizaar. A complete 180 from the books, that's for sure. I kind of wish I hadn't read the books because now I am comparing the TV series to them and the writer for HBO has taken the show in a different direction. I guess my final conclusion to the finale is that it was somewhat too over the top. Will be interesting to see what they do in Season four.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...a lot of characters in Bon Ton...
lol. Bon Temps.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 AM

I enjoyed the finale.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
lol. Bon Temps.
LOL. I can't believe I did that.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I enjoyed the finale.
Don't you think Russell Edgington's horrific surprise attack on the newsman, followed by his really good speech that puts vampires in perspective while everyone looks at their TVs in horror, followed by his quip to go to the weather, would have been a perfectly suspenseful way to end the season? I thought the same about Godric and Sookie on the roof in Season 2.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Don't you think Russell Edgington's horrific surprise attack on the newsman, followed by his really good speech that puts vampires in perspective while everyone looks at their TVs in horror, followed by his quip to go to the weather, would have been a perfectly suspenseful way to end the season? I thought the same about Godric and Sookie on the roof in Season 2.
I agree that those endings are more dramatic and suspenseful, but I think that endings don't necessarily have to be that dramatic to draw the viewer back in for next season. I think that's what we, as audiences, are used to, and if it's not very cliffhanger-esque it feels something is missing. The lack of shocking cliffhanger didn't keep me from enjoying the finale and looking forward to next season, tho.

I dunno. I'd rather watch a show because I thought it was good the whole way through, rather than *having* to tune in because of a few unanswered questions left open last season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV