Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 PM

339 posts, read 696,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its like they live in some sort of 1950's NJ time warp. Lauren's problem is that she is just not very interesting (or attractive) and if Vitto (sp?) doesn't marry her, she is going to morph into Kathy's sister Rosie . Because heaven forbid that she decides to move to NYC or Philly and get a job/apartment like the rest of us in our early/mid 20s.
You know, I don't fault Lauren for not moving out of her parents home at this point in her life. She is still trying to get her self-esteem back , but on a more realistic tip, it is not cheap to live in the NY tri-state area. Sometimes it is cheaper to live at home, and pay your parents rent, than to move out and live in a 2x4 apt with 2 or three other people and pay 3x what you pay your parents.

Or if one is luck to live solo in a basement or attic apt and afford the rent on your own. I am more concerned about her seemingly lack of direction career-wise/life wise than Lauren living at home at 23.

I still lived at home when I was in my early 20s (my glorious mis-spent days as a young adult in NYC), but that didn't stop me from having a great social life and I paid my parents rent, stayed out as long/late as I wanted to, but when I moved out the house, I stayed out.

I don't think Caroline or Albert Sr. are pushing Lauren out the door either. I don't think they really pushed the boys out the house; I believe the boys wanted to go. I think for the boys, they felt stifled by Caroline, so they sacrificed living in a large home to live in their 2x4 apt with high rent to have "space" from mama bear.

Unlike her brothers who are rooming together and have a third roommate, I haven't seen Lauren have a lot of friends (on camera) so I don't know if she has enough friends that she can roommate with. I think Lauren is just waiting for the ring from Vito and that will be when she moves out.

I agree she needs a job, although now it seems she is getting her make up line started again and hopefully that will work and add to her confidence.

Last edited by NYPeach; 05-25-2012 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You don't have to like Lauren. I'm neutral on her myself.

I hardly think Lauren will bomb out. The parents have made it clear they expect the kids to work and they are too involved in their lives to allow utter failure. Regardless of any past mob ties (which I suspect also) the family does have a decent work ethic.
The kids are 25 years old at the oldest. Two out of the three didn't attend a 4 year college. What have we seen them do? Other than Christopher working at the Brownstone? Lauren slapping some makeup on a bride or two? What has Albie done? (asking in general, not for you to specifically answer).

The "family" has a decent work ethic...if we're talking about AL Mazno and his brother. Even Christopher for the long hours he pulled at the B-stone while Albie was making fun of him (the big shot "I'm gonna be a lawyer, after mommy checks my homework").

Quote:
Lauren worked at the Brownstone for years and could always go back. She has a cosmetics line right now called "Cat Face" and here is a link below of her promoting it.
Is that what it means? Every time I see Cafface...I think of coffee. HORRIBLE name for a make-up/salon/whatever it is.

I just did the "google translation" from English to Italian for cat. It came up "gatto". Face = faccia.

Cat face = cat faccia.

Exactly. No sense. I ain't Italian, not even 1/16, so I don't know. Maybe google stinks at translating.

Quote:
I wouldn't label her a failure when she's barely into her twenties. This is the time for her to fall down and get back up. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Of course.

I think the problem is that she is doing what she is doing due to her connection to the fleeting fame of the reality tv show her mom is on. When Caroline quits, who is Lauren? Lauren went to cosmetology school, if she's any good at what she does, she'll find work. It's two fold in that type of an industry. You have to know how to run a business/be a boss (not just a snot nosed beyotch demanding respect for no reason) #1, and be excellent at what you do, #2.

Lauren isn't too young, she's too young AND stupid AND entitled. For right now. Hopefully she'll take her weight loss, like what she sees in the mirror, and it will transform her rotten sourpuss soul/attitude from the inside out. She is really young, she has a lot going for her, a lot to look forward to, a lot in front of her.

Maybe she will do well at Cafface ...but if she doesn't, before she quits and shuts down, I'd love to see Tabatha called in and give her 2 cents.

Now THERE is a no nonsense/suck it if you don't like it (b/c she CAN say that) successful woman.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-26-2012 at 01:35 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 01:58 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
YES! By 19 I was out of the house and by 22 I was in the Village. To be honest, I can't really understand why she stays at home when there's an amazing world out there. Whether its Manhattan, Hoboken, or another town, I don'tget the allure of staying home so long when financially she doesn't have to.
By 18, I was out of my house and most of my friends were too (college - WISH it were the Village or Chelsea when I was 22). Who the hell wanted to stay home? Certainly not when you were raised to be a productive adult. Never wanted to go back, either, as much as I love my parents to this day, nope.

This is my issue too. I don't want my kids to ever leave. But they will. They have to. Despite me having someone in to clean every two weeks, my 13 year old has been doing his own laundry/cleaning his bathroom/dusting/vacuuming since he was 10. My (now) 10 year old isn't happy to do anything. Still make him. I'm raising my kids to, at the very least, know how to do the basics. They both know how to make a few of the necessary food groups (mac and cheese/pasta and sauce/griddle pancakes/brownies..anything that doesn't involve a knife and works when you are hungry and have $2 to your name....).Started to teach them how to iron.

I don't think it's cute when my girlfriends have to pack their husbands suitcases for vacations or their business trips. Or their husbands don't know how to turn the vacuum on, or how to use the washing machine. I think it's ridiculous. Pack your own crap. Figure out how to use that thing that washes your clothes...better yet, wash your own. How much more useless can you get?

Anyway, I don't get it either. Where are Lauren's friends? Did they go away to college and leave her behind? Why didn't Lauren go to college? The Manzo "you don't need a degree to be successful" mantra? And you don't, but it's just that much easier to ignore if you don't have daddy's successful business to fall back on.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
I thought it was a little delusional when Caroline compared her kids to Billy Joel's daughter, saying they're both "children of privilege."

Realistically, the type of person who would ever agree to be on a show like this is probably going to be very narcissistic and maybe a bit delusional.

I feel sorry for Lauren. If my mother had done to me what Caroline has done to her, I'd have never spoken to her again. She has humiliated her daughter on national TV. Same with Jacqueline with her daughter. It's hard enough to grow up without this kind of embarrassing exposure, and having to watch catty comments about yourself that would best have been kept private being blasted out over TV.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I always marvel at this. They have so many beautiful possessions, yet so many of them can't speak correctly. I don't care if someone is unpolished and uneducated; it's when they start showing off and bragging about what they have that labels them that way, to me.

Not only the bragging, but the lack of taste some of the HW have in their decorating or "sense" of style. They spend $$$$, on their furnishing and clothing but a lot of it looks gaudy and tacky. But I guess it doesn't matter as long as big $$$ was spent on it. One HW whose home I like is Heather on the OC, you can tell it has pricey furnishings but it doesn't look tacky.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I always marvel at this. They have so many beautiful possessions, yet so many of them can't speak correctly. I don't care if someone is unpolished and uneducated; it's when they start showing off and bragging about what they have that labels them that way, to me.
The best part is that they probably don't actually have anything. All their possessions seem to be backed up by piles of debt.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I think the only reason Lauren wants to be a SAHM is that she thinks it will be easy and then she won't be pressured to actually perform or do anything difficult.

What an insult to SAHM.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The best part is that they probably don't actually have anything. All their possessions seem to be backed up by piles of debt.

That is what makes most of these HW bragging just so ridiculous...their financial house is a house of cards waiting for a light breeze to blow it down.

Although I do believe some of the HW do have the money--> most of the OC, BH wives and NY wives seem to have money. I don't recall hearing anything about most of those wives/husbands on those shows having difficulties.

Although obviously some of these wives are richer than others on their respective shows.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I thought it was a little delusional when Caroline compared her kids to Billy Joel's daughter, saying they're both "children of privilege."

Realistically, the type of person who would ever agree to be on a show like this is probably going to be very narcissistic and maybe a bit delusional.

I feel sorry for Lauren. If my mother had done to me what Caroline has done to her, I'd have never spoken to her again. She has humiliated her daughter on national TV. Same with Jacqueline with her daughter. It's hard enough to grow up without this kind of embarrassing exposure, and having to watch catty comments about yourself that would best have been kept private being blasted out over TV.
Oh yeah, I remember that ~ children of privilege indeed.

OH, and totally agree with the narcissistic part and HUGE egos.

All to be a Bravolebrity.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Yeah, I rolled my eyes when Caroline said her son Albie and Alexa Joel had in common that they were children of privilege. Does Caroline really not have a clue that Alexa Joel's level of privilege is in the stratosphere compared to theirs?

As far as twenty-somethings leaving home ... get used to more and more of them staying longer. There's been a lot written about it lately. Young adults in Europe and much of the world have always stayed in the family home longer, because they never had the sort of economy that could support young adults making enough to live on their own.

The U.S. has been unusual in that regard and most Americans don't realize it. Even in the U.S. it has been a relatively recent trend only decades old. The bad economy has changed the pattern and a lot more are staying home longer. Some analysts believe the change will be permanent because they don't think our economy will ever be quite the same.

As far as Lauren goes, I don't really see her as having work issues in the long term. If she worked at the Brownstone, then she had to work hard. Didn't they show her doing makeup for Fashion Week in New York last season?

She's not another Ashley, staying out all hours and doing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV