Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 07:26 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Parsons is also doing a lot of commercials.

He does seem everywhere now!

Gotta give the guy credit; who knew a geeky, gangly and lanky out gay actor could rise so fast. Yet some were slamming his decision to come out and so forth saying it would "harm" his career.

If this is *harm* I'd love a piece of that action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 10:51 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes, and when his career has shrunk to doing dinner theater in South Florida retirement communities, he'll accept the offer to do "The Coopers", the sit com about Sheldon, Amy and their two children. The boy hates school and wants to be an Olympic champion, the girl is a Kelly Bundy type. Sheldon's mother lives with them and is clandestinely proselytizing the kids. Kripke lives next door, raising two genius kids of his own.

In the meantime we have Young Sheldon to fall back on and we can look forward to Young Leonard-Young Howard-Young Penny, then it is up to Young Kripke and Young Stuart....after that we are screwed.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Parsons is a solid supporting actor in film:

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - playing Ted Bundy's prosecutor
A Kid Like Jake - lead
Hidden Figures - reluctant and misogynist mathematician

as well as a number of other films.

As for Nayyar and Helberg, they both have done films and animation. I'm sure the money left on the table would have been nice but they'll be fine I'm sure considering they've each been getting $25 million annually for a few years.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:43 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeah and Steve Perry and Journey still aren't speaking to each other....

Truth to be told, and has have already stated actors like anyone else don't owe others a living. It wasn't Jim Parsons who pulled the plug on TBBT, but the shows producers and other "suits". Who knew "Sheldon" was the star of that ensemble cast.

Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco are already loaded. The former has more pans in the fire including the Roseanne (now the Connors) reboot. Kunnal Nayyar and Simon Helberg OTOH aren't nearly so well off (comparatively) and probably would have welcomed that 50 million along with steady work for another season.

As have said, if one is a true "actor" then would understand Jim Parsons reasoning and wish him well. Things happen in Hollywood/entertainment industry, and no one is promised a steady gig ever since the star system of old ended.
As far as Kunal, who I actually like the most on the cast, he's worth $45 million. The poor guy will have to scrimp and save to live off $1 million a year (plus residuals) for the rest of his life. Of course, it will cost millions to tame that hair of his.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times
In last season's finale Missy was pregnant and miserable. We don't know her story. Maybe we'll find out this season.

I'd also like to see grown up Tam show up on Big Bang Theory.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:11 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I may be one of the few that enjoyed "Young Sheldon" from the start. I saw an interview of both Jim Parsons (Sheldon) and Iain Armitage (Young Sheldon) discussing how the show was going to go and took an instant liking to the very young actor. I like how he pronounces all his words and get a kick out of the beginning of the show, where he stands with the cow next to him. The look on his face and the one side step away from the cow, and then him holding his head up. I like the interaction with all the characters on the "Young Sheldon" tv show and hope that it has the fortune of a continual series like "BBT".

I love that part! It cracks me up every time I see it. I fell into the camp that I didn't much care for Young Sheldon but it has definitely gotten better.

I liked TBBT but it's time to say good bye. It's not nearly as good as it used to be IMO.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:39 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I liked TBBT but it's time to say good bye. It's not nearly as good as it used to be IMO.
The characters aged, and there's only so many jokes you can write about 20-something geeks, anyway.

Young Sheldon will eventually have that problem, as well, but right now there are still fresh stories to tell.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The characters aged, and there's only so many jokes you can write about 20-something geeks, anyway.

Young Sheldon will eventually have that problem, as well, but right now there are still fresh stories to tell.
Exactly!

After several seasons we "get" or got Leonard, Howard, Sheldon, and Raj; there was nothing more to tell aside from same endless jokes about each of their particular ways. So then comes the kiss of death for any sitcom; the paring off and (worse) introduction of children. Wants that happens historically any sitcom isn't long for this world. By this one means those that started out with an ensemble cast who where mostly adults.

Even after Roz had her kid on Frasier it wasn't like it was often seen. Since we knew Frasier and Lilith had been married previously and had a child (thanks to Cheers), their son was worked into Frasier; but not on a regular basis.

In real world despite their working together or whatever a group of men like cast of TBBT would have long likely moved on by now. While remaining close marriage, children, career changes and other things would have changed nature of their relationships if not split them apart.

However if we're going off into "what if" for spin off series, my vote goes to "Young Leonard" with Dr. Beverly Hofstadter. I mean just to spend a few days in that house while Leonard was growing up watching the goings on would be a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhkifqwZ3k

Old 08-28-2018, 02:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Exactly!

After several seasons we "get" or got Leonard, Howard, Sheldon, and Raj; there was nothing more to tell aside from same endless jokes about each of their particular ways. So then comes the kiss of death for any sitcom; the paring off and (worse) introduction of children. Wants that happens historically any sitcom isn't long for this world. By this one means those that started out with an ensemble cast who where mostly adults.

Even after Roz had her kid on Frasier it wasn't like it was often seen. Since we knew Frasier and Lilith had been married previously and had a child (thanks to Cheers), their son was worked into Frasier; but not on a regular basis.

In real world despite their working together or whatever a group of men like cast of TBBT would have long likely moved on by now. While remaining close marriage, children, career changes and other things would have changed nature of their relationships if not split them apart.

However if we're going off into "what if" for spin off series, my vote goes to "Young Leonard" with Dr. Beverly Hofstadter. I mean just to spend a few days in that house while Leonard was growing up watching the goings on would be a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhkifqwZ3k
Or it would be terribly sad.

Who would you cast as Beverly and Leonard’s dad?

Old 08-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Or it would be terribly sad.

Who would you cast as Beverly and Leonard’s dad?

IMHO there is only one "Beverly", Christine Baranski. She just nailed the whole anal retentive, slightly if not fully autistic but yet condescending role as Leonard's mother. After the first appearance of Dr. Beverly Hofstadter (standing in front of mailboxes trying to understand the building), you begin to understand how Leonard grew up to be the needy nerdy guy.

Wasn't thrilled with Judd Hirsch as the dad, so am open to suggestions.

David Hyde Pierce worked into this some how would be interesting. Can you imagine "Dr. Niles Crane" maybe as one of Leonard's more successful older siblings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV