Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
They subscribe to the Quiverfull religion which apparently states that the girls don't wear pants, are supposed to concentrate on typically female duties (eg. taking care of children) and girls are not to go to college. I assume their daughters will live at home until they marry (probably way too young) and have a man to "take care of them". I wonder if Anna Duggar's own family aren't Quiverfulls because apparently she graduated from college even though she's only 20. And she's using her education co-owning a used car dealership and having children. sigh.
I am truly curious...why do people feel so free to judge these people's lifestyle when the only thing they are guilty of is not embracing the norms of modern society? Do people really think that they themsleves have it so much better???

Is society more stable or less stable than it was in say the 1950's?

Are our children better off?

I have my doubts.

Many educated women end up not following their career path due to having families.

As long as THEY are satisfied with THEIR lives and not relying on government aid why do people care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I dont watch the show, but I certainly have seen them and heard all about them as I live on this planet and they seem to be EVERYWHERE !
Folks, they ARE on a tv show, they are on display,cameras following them during scheduled times.
I bet when the camera men go home, there are quarrels,skinned knees,dirty looks, talking back, some "I hate you"s, assorted gas passing and all things normal kids do. We really never see them when cameras are not on them and they are "off" from the display case life.
However,
When I see that family, I cant help but remember all the desperate, hopeless children waiting for adoption.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
However,
When I see that family, I cant help but remember all the desperate, hopeless children waiting for adoption.
Do you mean they should have adopted 18 kids rather than having them naturally? If so, I disagree. (If that's not what you're saying, sorry, I misunderstood).

They had all those kids naturally, without fertility treatment. So, whether or not we agree with their religious beliefs, they believe that they are meant to have those kids, that God has given them all those kids, and they accept them gratefully. They aren't going through expensive treatments to get pregnant when they weren't "meant to." Would you also advise all the people getting fertility treatment to adopt those desperate hopeless children? If you do advise that, at least you are being consistent. I don't really know If I'd agree or disagree with that. Maybe we need a whole thread for the topic...

My nieces and nephew, who I love, are products of fertility treatment, and even I tend to feel that it might be wrong for people (even my own family) to go through so much effort, money, and misery of fertility treatment when there are kids out there to be adopted. But then when I talk to people desperate to adopt, there don't seem to be many babies out there from their point of view. So who knows what the truth is.

But again, the Duggars have done this all naturally. You might agree that the children were a product of God or just of nature; but either way, they came naturally, and the parents are supporting all of them without any public assistance.

But also, I have to add that the Duggars do a lot of charity work, and they specifically went to another country (can't remember, but a very poor Latin American country) to donate supplies and do work for a large orphanage there. And yes, they have made a lot of money (as some have pointed out, like it makes them bad people) but with their tithing alone they give HUGE amounts away to the needy.

Believe me, I'm pretty judgmental, and I'd love to trash them if I could
but I really can't find anything about these people that deserves trashing.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
"Quiverfull" is not their religion. Their religion is Baptist, a very conservative branch of the Baptist church.

Quiverfull is a philosophy that they have chosen to embrace. Not all conservative Baptists are quiverfulls, and not all quiverfulls are Baptists. In fact, other religions, such as some Mormons and the Amish subscribe to the same philosophy, whether or not they call it "quiverfull." From what I have read about the Duggars, they have fully embraced that all children are gifts from God and they must do nothing to stand in the way of those gifts. But I have never heard that the have said that girls can't be educated.

I did not see anything about not believing in girls going to college. In fact the two oldest girls say they plan to become nurse-midwives, which does require education and licensing.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
For all the people that hate the Duggars...How is YOUR family doing?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I am truly curious...why do people feel so free to judge these people's lifestyle when the only thing they are guilty of is not embracing the norms of modern society? Do people really think that they themsleves have it so much better???.........

As long as THEY are satisfied with THEIR lives and not relying on government aid why do people care.
If the Duggars lived quietly in a community, minding their own business, there would be a lot less judgment. However, they have a TeeVee Show which invites attention and criticism. If they or their fans, can't handle criticism, they should get off TV and go live their lives quietly. Can't have it both ways.

My question is......why do breeding machines even get offered TV shows?

It seems to be the in thing these days and I find the whole Octomom, Jon and Kate and Duggar types absolutely vile. Can't stand any of them. They all crave attention to an extreme and they all need psychiatric therapy.

I saw a clip of the Duggars being interviewed. She stood so close to him and gazed up at him as if in a trance. Gaaak...creepy as hell and absolutely cult-like

Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
It seems to be the in thing these days and I find the whole Octomom, Jon and Kate and Duggar types absolutely vile. Can't stand any of them. They all crave attention to an extreme and they all need psychiatric therapy.
That's fine, and I agree that if you put your life on TV, you've got to expect people are going to comment on it - and not always postitively....Do you have this same disdain for Ozzy and his family when they were on TV?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's fine, and I agree that if you put your life on TV, you've got to expect people are going to comment on it - and not always postitively....Do you have this same disdain for Ozzy and his family when they were on TV?
Sorry, but I don't get the comparison at all.

Ozzy and his wife did not produce multiple litters nor did they get a show because of how many litters they produced. Can't say that about any of the others, can you? They got TV shows because of how many babies they have....period.

Ozzy has been in the public light for 4 decades, and for years because he was a heavy metal band member of Black Sabbath.

Personally, I'm not a heavy metal fan nor an Ozzy fan, but since you brought it up, let's take a quick look at his kids. He only has 2 who appeared on TV, and they went through every possible addiction and exhibited horrible behavior on a national stage. Is that what you want for the Duggar, Octo and J and K clans? Whose to say the parents of these kids aren't as crazy as Ozzy, or maybe worse.

At least with Ozzy, you knew upfront what he was. His life was an open book. These new TV parent exhibitionists, come across much more sinister. J&K are a good example of that. They fling their dirty laundry at anyone who has a microphone and will take their picture. Bet their fans would never have believed that possible a year ago. The other breeders will eventually follow the same path.

Last edited by baseballgal; 10-12-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
The point is....they are both families on TV....for whatever reason, it is perfectly OK for people to bash this or that family because of their religion. Other families, who aren't religious, may be just as much on TV or in the public eye, but get a pass because they aren't religious. That's all. I have stated I wouldn't want to live like the Duggars, I don't agree with a lot of their lifestyle but honestly, I'd rather be around any one of their 18 kids than either of Ozzy's. They are not asking anyone else to provide for them (a la Octomom) so why is it a big deal how many kids they have? Now, when they start asking for government hand outs, I'll be critical of the number of kids they have. Until then, it really doesn't matter.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
For all the people that hate the Duggars...How is YOUR family doing?
My family is wonderful. Both my daughter and my son are grown, college-educated, and successfully employed. My daughter just married last year at the age of 27, and is planning her first child at age 30 after her and her husband's house is paid off. Gosh, how irresponsible of them!

My son who is 25, successfully owns and runs his own home renovation service, employs three other people, and has in the last two years purchased four rental properties to add to the two he already had. He is not married and has no illegitimate children. Damn, I really wish he'd make something of himself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV