Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
Sorry, but I don't get the comparison at all.

Ozzy and his wife did not produce multiple litters nor did they get a show because of how many litters they produced. Can't say that about any of the others, can you? They got TV shows because of how many babies they have....period.

Ozzy has been in the public light for 4 decades, and for years because he was a heavy metal band member of Black Sabath.

Personally, I'm not a heavy metal fan nor an Ozzy fan, but since you brought it up, let's take a quick look at his kids. He only has 2 and they went through every possible addiction an exhibited horrible behavior on a national stage. Is that what you want for the Duggar, Octo and J and K clans? Whose to say the parents of these kids aren't as crazy as Ozzy, or maybe worse.
One, the Osbournes have more than two children.

Two, referring to these babies as "litters" is misleading and demeaning. As has been pointed out to you, the Duggars didn't have fertility treatment and the resultant multiple pregnancies.

Third, the Duggars do live quietly in a community. The cameras go to their home and film the family on certain days, and the rest of the time the family quietly goes about their business.

The Osbournes got a TV show because of the irregularities of their lifestyle, and that is the same reason the Duggars got a TV show and the Gosselins got theirs. None of the families have a "normal" lifestyle. The Osbournes live a frenetic and chaotic lifestyle brought on by the celebrity and fame of Ozzy. The Gosselins live a lifestyle that is frenetic because six children are the same age and that brings along certain challenges that normal families do not have. Their lifestyle is not chaotic because Kate is a personality that cannot tolerate chaos. The divorce will bring extra challenges to Kate's life and to the show. The Duggars live a lifestyle that is neither frenetic nor chaotic because the parents have carefully imposed routine and order on their children's lives. That, in itself, is remarkable because of the number of children which is well beyond the "normal" number of children. But the size of their family, along with their very conservative values and upbringing, make the family of interest to a certain television audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
For all the people that hate the Duggars...How is YOUR family doing?
I didn't say I hate the Duggars... I just disagree with their choice to have so many children. But my family is doing pretty good, thanks. My husband and I have no kids and our relationship isn't perfect but it's solid.

My relationship with my dad is very good - I understand him a lot better now that I'm an adult (he does not have the best communication skills with children).

My relationship with my mom has always been very, very good - we're extremely close and always have been. In fact, it's the bond I share with my mom that makes me think how sad it is that the Duggar children will never be able to experience that with their own mother. She doesn't have the time to give them the individual attention and bonding experiences my mother and I had when I was growing up. I know even children of small families don't always have the special bond I have with my mom but a big family assures there is no possiblity of it whatsoever. Such a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe
why do people care.
Because people are entitled to have an opinion about anything and it's human nature to be interested, whether negatively or positively, about something different. You could ask the same thing of people who think highly of the Duggars - why do they care? Why are they interested? If it's acceptable for people to be positively interested in the Duggar's, why it is not acceptable for people to be negatively interested as well (as long as it does not develop into some kind unhealthy fixation of course).

Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,670 times
Quote:
For all the people that hate the Duggars...How is YOUR family doing?

If you really want to know.......tune in........tonight....TNT.....................oh wait, we don't get paid to to be exhibitionists, so until the contract is signed....we are terrific.......thanks for your concern

Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Sounds like a bunch of SOUR GRAPES on this thread.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
[b][B][quote=TracySam;11155747]Do you mean they should have adopted 18 kids rather than having them naturally? If so, I disagree. (If that's not what you're saying, sorry, I misunderstood).
people getting fertility treatment to adopt those desperate hopeless children? If you do advise that, at least you are being consistent. I don't really know If I'd agree or disagree with that. Maybe we need a whole thread for the topic
They had all those kids naturally, without fertility treatment. So, whether or not we agree with their religious beliefs, they believe that they are meant to have those kids, that God has given them all those kids, and they accept them gratefully. They aren't going through expensive treatments to get pregnant when they weren't "meant to." Would you also advise all the ...

Mud turtles can create naturally too, thats in the intincts of all life forms. That doesnt mean you do it to see how long you can.

[quote]"God has given them all those kids, and they accept them gratefully. They aren't going through expensive treatments to get pregnant when they weren't "meant to." Would you also advise all the people getting fertility treatment to adopt those desperate hopeless ]QUOTE
Then under that theory, God meant those desperate adoptable children to be born as well. And what happened? What kind of God is that?
Adopting 1,2 or 3, not all 18, would have been an uplifting and changing event for some kids longing against hope for a family.
And I would advise anyone desperate for a child to at least look into that path.

Last edited by nanannie; 10-12-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,670 times
Quote:
I don't see that, more like ....some have cult envy

Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
LOL what were you expecting? For us all to reply and say "You're right, I never realized I have a terrible family life and now I know the Duggar's way of life is the answer to all my problems!" You ask a question and then when you don't get the answer you want, you just call us all "sour grapes". Really? Name calling? How mature.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Lets not assume because someone does not agree with what the Duggars do that we are 'sour grapes' and also, please dont assume our kids are awry.
I am beyond proud of mine.
Lets remember we have different opinions and God bless the web sites that let us present them. They are on a television show to attract viewers and the "NORM" just wouldnt do that.
You would all fall asleep watching my family...Believe me.
They are well paid for being different arent they?
Peace

Last edited by nanannie; 10-12-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
The thing is, I did get the answer I want. I am so entertained the way this thread has gone, that I can't stop laughing.

And as for sour grapes...I call it like I see it. I didn't mention anyone in specific, so it's hardly name calling.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
The thing is, I did get the answer I want. I am so entertained the way this thread has gone, that I can't stop laughing.

And as for sour grapes...I call it like I see it. I didn't mention anyone in specific, so it's hardly name calling.
LOL what a cop out, calling a group of people a name is still name calling. Just because it's pural doesn't mean it's not name calling.

What in particular about my reply detailing my family life did you find entertaining?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV