Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Agree with everything everyone has said for this week's eppie. Just sorry to see Jordeff go instead of Caite and Brent. Nothing against Brent, just his partner.
No worries - they are next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
They'll have to find a reason why this was a great aberration, lest their heads explode as they find themselves forced to acknowledge a positive about France.
My husband was that way when I told him I wanted to go to France. "They're all snotty and hate Americans" he said. I had been to France a few times before and knew that wasn't true. The best part was when we would take a moment to stop and look at a map, one person after another would stop and ask us if they could help...even my husband had to admit he was wrong. There are a few countries in Europe where you cannot find anyone to help you, but as with any place, the key is to apologetically ask someone, "do you speak English?" They're doing YOU a favor, after all. It's funny because people will say "a little bit" and then ramble off a perfect sentence. I have always enjoyed myself in France, from Paris to Nice to Bordeaux. I thought the people were nice and helpful if you ask politely.

That being said, I watched the movie "French Kiss" a few days ago and that movie is so funny...Kevin Kline is the epitome of the stereotypical Frenchman.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
the female couple (who may be snotty and effete and vastly annoying, but are at least probably not vastly ignorant of the world beyond our borders)
It will be interesting to see how they do in a place that's filthy and smelly and crowded. So far they've been to Chile, Germany and France...not exactly places they would feel uncomfortable. They both have made a point to talk about how "high class" they are and how they stay in fancy hotels. Wait until they get to India or China (if they do). I remember a few scenes from different seasons and watching the teams try and get on the trains in India or getting colored powder thrown in their faces. The Lesbians didn't do well just having to crawl through the mud at the war reenactment!

But, I begrudgingly agree with you...they do seem to be the only team who understands that there are other cultures in the world besides Americans and those who speak English and at least they make an effort.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
But, I begrudgingly agree with you...they do seem to be the only team who understands that there are other cultures in the world besides Americans and those who speak English and at least they make an effort.
The irony in it, of course, is that Brandy and whoever's first reaction to some of their fellow Americans was to dismiss them as foolish hicks simply because of their accents--that, of course, and that the foolish hicks happened to be white and male, a group against whom it's socially acceptable to be bigoted (especially those who have a drawl). My god, they probably even eat fried food! And chew tobacco! Death and destruction! Apocalypse! Do they recycle? Have they even heard of fair trade, cruelty-free coffee? Horrors! Would they know arugula from romaine?

While the cowboys don't speak much of anything but English, they seem to understand that they are the visitors, and that if things go wrong, they should fault themselves rather than fault their host culture for being different than what they're used to. They shrug it off, laugh, appreciate what they got to see, and treat people they meet with respect. In a sense, their cultural outreach is more effective than if they did speak the language, because language is skin deep but jackass goes to the bone, and the more of the language one speaks, the more jackassery a jackass will reveal. If you don't speak a language, people have to go by your expression and body language, and the cowboys send a warm message with both. I hope they keep doing so.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
The irony in it, of course, is that Brandy and whoever's first reaction to some of their fellow Americans was to dismiss them as foolish hicks simply because of their accents--that, of course, and that the foolish hicks happened to be white and male, a group against whom it's socially acceptable to be bigoted (especially those who have a drawl). My god, they probably even eat fried food! And chew tobacco! Death and destruction! Apocalypse! Do they recycle? Have they even heard of fair trade, cruelty-free coffee? Horrors! Would they know arugula from romaine?

While the cowboys don't speak much of anything but English, they seem to understand that they are the visitors, and that if things go wrong, they should fault themselves rather than fault their host culture for being different than what they're used to. They shrug it off, laugh, appreciate what they got to see, and treat people they meet with respect. In a sense, their cultural outreach is more effective than if they did speak the language, because language is skin deep but jackass goes to the bone, and the more of the language one speaks, the more jackassery a jackass will reveal. If you don't speak a language, people have to go by your expression and body language, and the cowboys send a warm message with both. I hope they keep doing so.

What a great post, j_k_k. I must spread more love around though.

What is cruelty free coffee? What is arugula? I guess that is some kind of lettuce?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
I wasn't surprised to see them go, but certainly was disappointed. Sure, Jordan's no Einstein, but I think she's a genuinely nice person and was appreciative of the chance to be part of The Amazing Race "experience" and travel overseas (a first for her).

And her incredibly out-of-left-field comments always make me laugh .....

I'm gonna miss me my Jordeff .....

Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I wasn't surprised to see them go, but certainly was disappointed. Sure, Jordan's no Einstein, but I think she's a genuinely nice person and was appreciative of the chance to be part of The Amazing Race "experience" and travel overseas (a first for her).

And her incredibly out-of-left-field comments always make me laugh .....

I'm gonna miss me my Jordeff .....
Her comments make me laugh, too. "She's the one with the animals." Jeff: "That's Noah." Oh man, you gotta love them. You know what. When she makes stupid comments like that, he doesn't even try to make her feel stupid. He corrects it in a funny way. I find that to show how kind he really is.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Amen! I have been extremely fortunate to have traveled around the world and can say with 100% certainty that people just want to be approached nicely. The cowboys always do that and if you notice, they also shake the hand of anyone who helps them. Shaking hands isn't something common in most of the world, but most Europeans recognize it as an American's way of saying "thanks." I have been to places where no one speaks English but if you are nice, most of the time, you can get by with gestures and drawings.

I was thinking too, of future episodes, and I am assuming the teams will have to go to India or somewhere in Asia. I hope that Caite is gone by that point because I find it totally obnoxious when there's some "princess" on the race who does nothing but talk about how "gross" things are. India is an absolute mess. There is poverty there that you cannot imagine and sometimes the smell is totally overwhelming. But to walk through and look down your nose at people or talk about how "gross" they are is an insult...especially when they are just trying to survive. Hopefully the Seychelles will be their last leg of the race.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Somebody tell me why Jeff wanted to build the stupid tower!!!!

If they had tried to find the grapes they'd still be in the Race. I wanted them to at least beat the lesbians!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Somebody tell me why Jeff wanted to build the stupid tower!!!!

If they had tried to find the grapes they'd still be in the Race. I wanted them to at least beat the lesbians!
Agreed. But I'd rather have Brent & Caite gone instead of the lesbians (since they did finish 2nd). But next week, they're in the island of Seychelles, meaning some more bickering from Caite and from the lesbians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV