Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times

Advertisements

Meet the Designers:
Design Star Designers : Design Star : Home & Garden Television

Quote:
HGTV's top-rated reality competition, HGTV Design Star, returns for a dynamic fifth season. Produced by Mark Burnett Productions, the series will feature 12 competitive and creative finalists executing ingenious designs, as well as an illustrious judging panel of acclaimed interior designers, including Genevieve Gorder, Candice Olson and Vern Yip. The finalists, who include professional interior designers, contractors, stylists, architects and artists, must navigate innovative design challenges and dazzle the judges with creativity until one wins their own show on HGTV.
I didn't realize this was coming up so soon!! LOVE LOVE this show! This year they will be back in New York. Anyone have early favorites based on the bio's of the new cast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,442 times
Oh, you've made my day GloryB! This show is GREAT. I had no idea it was starting again. I haven't looked at the bios of the new cast, but I am generally pretty set on each of their personalities within the first 2 episodes. I'll be back here to check in with you and other fans of the series then.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
I was so rooting for Antonio to win the last one, Glory!
Dh always laughed as I was "telling" the judges "no, no, pick Antonio, please!"

But let's wait for it to start and I will pick a favorite this year again.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I was so rooting for Antonio to win the last one, Glory!
Dh always laughed as I was "telling" the judges "no, no, pick Antonio, please!"

But let's wait for it to start and I will pick a favorite this year again.

I won't form an opinion until they begin doin their thang..........
Antonio was ok but guess he didn't get a regular show. I've seen the few (couple) of shows that aired with him and I didn't care for them at all!
I guess the chick from the 3rd(?) season never did get a show. I thought Matt should have won that season.
Not too fond of Myles of Style either with Kim.
Only the first season winner,David is really successful..IMHO.

But I do enjoy the Design Star show.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM

PippySkiddles is right, I just saw a few Antonio shows Didn't you like them, why?!

Isn't the Design Star winner supposed to get a regular show?

I like David Bromstad as a person, but his decorating style is not really for me.

I never heard much about the other winners?!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
PippySkiddles is right, I just saw a few Antonio shows Didn't you like them, why?!

Isn't the Design Star winner supposed to get a regular show?

I like David Bromstad as a person, but his decorating style is not really for me.

I never heard much about the other winners?!

I just don't care for Antonio's style-design and personal. His voice irritates me and I see him doing very little to the extent of personal and hands on designing. The finished product is not my taste.
I actually like David Bromstad's designs-not all, but most.
One season the winner was Jennifer(I think?!) the blonde who was in the finals with Matt(who should have won)
She got pregnant right after winning the title(stupid,stupid!!!) then I don't know what happened.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Well, I thought he was a good addition to the channel overall. He seemed very nice to the clients, and what he did in his house looked good in my opinion. (But the design with the geese during the show was not my favorite.)

Honestly I did not see much potential in the other candidates, except for Antonio and the guy who was second. The other ones had very big egos, though.

I think a good designer is mainly the one who does what the client likes, and many times we will find the client taste to be an acquired taste decoration-wise, or just plain ugly.

One thing I notice on David's shows is that people seem genuinely pleased when they see his work. So I guess it certainly works for them.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:43 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Anyone have early favorites based on the bio's of the new cast?
i just looked at their designs; i've never done that before so i can't really compare, but i like a lot of them! i think my favorite might be tom but i also like michael, and emily. i like michael's thing with using electrical cords as part of the design.

i'm betting tera is going to be the "why are they still there" person, or be kicked off early! ick! most of the rest of them have decent looking portfolios, whether or not they're my style, but hers looks like an amateur with bad taste did it.

then again, i've never really looked at people's portfolios before the show aired; people with great portfolios might tank on the show and vice versa.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I just don't care for Antonio's style-design and personal. His voice irritates me and I see him doing very little to the extent of personal and hands on designing. The finished product is not my taste.
I actually like David Bromstad's designs-not all, but most.
One season the winner was Jennifer(I think?!) the blonde who was in the finals with Matt(who should have won)
She got pregnant right after winning the title(stupid,stupid!!!) then I don't know what happened.
I feel the same way you do on all of the above points. I was really expecting something new, hot and edgy from Antonio....but his designs always look like a decorated motorcycle repair shop.

Is the Miles of Style still on? I really liked her as a person, but her show with those bags of decor items seemed....weird.

David B is the best so far. Some of his designs are over a little over worked for my taste, but I love the way he plans out the design and adds personal touches. I also really like the blond girl on his show who does all the fancy paint work.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i just looked at their designs; i've never done that before so i can't really compare, but i like a lot of them! i think my favorite might be tom but i also like michael, and emily. i like michael's thing with using electrical cords as part of the design.

i'm betting tera is going to be the "why are they still there" person, or be kicked off early! ick! most of the rest of them have decent looking portfolios, whether or not they're my style, but hers looks like an amateur with bad taste did it.

then again, i've never really looked at people's portfolios before the show aired; people with great portfolios might tank on the show and vice versa.
I think Courtland Bascon's stuff looks like IKEA.

From the design work submitted, I agree with you about Tom.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV