Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,464,276 times

Advertisements

The judge situation bothers me too. I hate not being privvy as to WHY they choose the people they do to end up in the bottom two, and then the whispered conversation on who to eliminate - what is THAT about?! If we are to get a better understanding of what the criteria is that they are judging on, it would be better for us to know what they discuss.

As we have talked about this being taken over by Mark Burnett, HGTV would have done better if they had given this over to the creators of Top Chef and Project Runway. In each of those shows, you are able to hear the judges rate each of the chef's dishes or the designer's outfits - be it good or bad. By keeping us in suspense the way they do on Design Star - some of the rulings seem to come out of left field.

Also, with each of those shows, you have a Tim Gunn or a Tom Colicchio walking among the contestants, hearing what their plans are, offering advice, etc. Either bring back Clive or have these 3 judges walk among the contestants during the challenges so that we too can know if they are on the right track. As it is currently, I really do not see the point in having these three judges. It's Vern who is doing most of the talking and seems to be the head judge.

As you can tell, I do NOT like the new format. And hey - when and why did this have to become a man vs. woman thing? That too is new. Give them back their paint cans and let the chips fall where they will based on what's inside the can. And can we PLEASE get a dollar value of what they can spend? I know the price of outdoor furniture and plants in NY - each episode they must be getting a small fortune. No one is expecting Design on a Dime (!!!), but let's hear what the budget is - and let's have it be realistic. That will help us judge from the comforts of our own home.

There - that's my rant over .... other than ..... BRING BACK CLIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you know what? I think you are onto something. Made me stop and think that the judges are setting the tone for this. They DO seem bored. Or mad. Like they are going through the motions but that's it.
Maybe they are bound by contracts but don't like the new format, new boss and or that the host guy got fired. They truly act like they would rather be anywhere else but on that set.
Whoever is responsible for this new format should be fired. Loved this show--until this season. It's very bad.
I have not had the tv on for most of the last three days. As long as the weather holds I don't have to check on that. So verifying that the few stuff I do want to watch has room to record on the dvr I think I deleted the show. I'm not sure I want to bother to find it again.

But PLEASE, if you decide to stop watching, WRITE them. Be polite, be precise, and be detailed. And do it in longhand if you can be legible. They will read any letter they get and your letter is worth at least ten other viewers in the normal estamate who didn't write. You can't delete a letter like an email. I am thinking I may be joining those who are DONE being bored and wasting an hour.

And Nina... do you really WANT a designer who is perfectly willing to throw you under a bus if a contract thats better comes up? Really? I think *character* really needs to count more than that.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,249,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
The judge situation bothers me too. I hate not being privvy as to WHY they choose the people they do to end up in the bottom two, and then the whispered conversation on who to eliminate - what is THAT about?! If we are to get a better understanding of what the criteria is that they are judging on, it would be better for us to know what they discuss.

As we have talked about this being taken over by Mark Burnett, HGTV would have done better if they had given this over to the creators of Top Chef and Project Runway. In each of those shows, you are able to hear the judges rate each of the chef's dishes or the designer's outfits - be it good or bad. By keeping us in suspense the way they do on Design Star - some of the rulings seem to come out of left field.

Also, with each of those shows, you have a Tim Gunn or a Tom Colicchio walking among the contestants, hearing what their plans are, offering advice, etc. Either bring back Clive or have these 3 judges walk among the contestants during the challenges so that we too can know if they are on the right track. As it is currently, I really do not see the point in having these three judges. It's Vern who is doing most of the talking and seems to be the head judge.

As you can tell, I do NOT like the new format. And hey - when and why did this have to become a man vs. woman thing? That too is new. Give them back their paint cans and let the chips fall where they will based on what's inside the can. And can we PLEASE get a dollar value of what they can spend? I know the price of outdoor furniture and plants in NY - each episode they must be getting a small fortune. No one is expecting Design on a Dime (!!!), but let's hear what the budget is - and let's have it be realistic. That will help us judge from the comforts of our own home.

There - that's my rant over .... other than ..... BRING BACK CLIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with everything you just posted!! The show is flat with no energy and no guidance. I want to hear the judges deliberate. Not the "We've seen all we need to see and you are out." deal that is going on this season.

No one is happy and no one is having a good time......including the viewers.

As for the show, I didn't like either patio, but I liked the guys more than the girls. Anyone going to HGTV site to vote?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 AM

891 posts, read 2,452,665 times
I don't like anything about this season of Design Star. An Obvious Mark Burnett production (and I like the Apprendice) but for Design Star, it shouldn't try and copy the Apprendice. Among the things I do not like as well, there is much more coverage of the personality clashes and I don't care about that.

Plus the design challenges have been to say the least weird - hard to understand. Sort of like if I were a tree what kind of tree would I be type of stuff.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,808,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
I don't like anything about this season of Design Star. An Obvious Mark Burnett production (and I like the Apprendice) but for Design Star, it shouldn't try and copy the Apprendice. Among the things I do not like as well, there is much more coverage of the personality clashes and I don't care about that.

Plus the design challenges have been to say the least weird - hard to understand. Sort of like if I were a tree what kind of tree would I be type of stuff.
love your post and agree w/all you said.
Everything Mark Burnett touches does not turn to Gold; contrary to what M Burnett believes.
LMAO--what kind of tree!!! Sad but true.......

Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 PM

What is the deal with tonight? They advertised a Design Star marathon starting at 9PM. I'm assuming that means a new episode isn't going to be aired until next week.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,461,394 times
I dont know, Glory. I tried to watch at 9:00 PM CST but that was a repeat. Then I checked the episodes before and after and they were repeats. Bummer. I dont think they've ever done this before.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,808,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I dont know, Glory. I tried to watch at 9:00 PM CST but that was a repeat. Then I checked the episodes before and after and they were repeats. Bummer. I dont think they've ever done this before.
yea everything is repeats till next week it looks like.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
yea everything is repeats till next week it looks like.
Oddly enough, I would've enjoyed a marathon of this show if this season hadn't been so boring thus far. I'm really disappointed since this used to be one of my favorite shows of all time.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,579,450 times
I'm so behind in this season. Dan's eyes are mesmerizing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV