Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times

Advertisements

Are scorpions native here in Tyler? how do you manage them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,095 times
Lived in Tyler more than 40 years, saw or actually "stepped" on a scorpion while barefoot as a kid. Many years thereafter never saw one. I'm sure they are "out there" especially on the "outskirts" of Tyler, just not in great numbers at all.

Check with Center Chemical on the Southeast Loop accross the street from Hobby Lobby or Ace Hardware in Flint, maybe all Ace's carry the product called Demon. Lowe's employee refered me, Lowes nor Home Depot carry a product effective against scorpions, so they must not be too common. I know this because I now live North of Tyler about 25 miles in the true forest, with a few neighbors and last year we had scorpions, neighbors said it was the first time they had seen any, they had been in the are 9 years. Exterminator said it was due to heat and drought?

You have them? Inside the city limits?

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-19-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
My dad gets them where he is, just south of Tyler, but not tons....just one here and there from time to time. When my grandparents first built their house there, they got them more frequently.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times
yes im in the city limits, but havent seen one yet in my apartment (thank goodness!), but my friends in different parts of texas are having scorpion issues. just wondering how it is like here in tyler.

i've heard that, save for squashing them, scorpions cant really be killed by insecticides/pesticides as they arent insects.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
For many years I owned property near Athens about 30 miles south of Tyler. Our soil was sandier for the most part than Tyler, which seems to have more orange clay. We definitely had scorpions there - lots of them. Lizards and scorpions everywhere; even cactus. Almost like living in the desert, but with lots of trees. I often visit a place on the northern edge of Tyler though, where the sandy soils are almost identical to our place near Athens. So I'd guess they have lots of scorpions there as well.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM

360 posts, read 1,088,028 times
Athens is about 30 miles west of Tyler, not south. I've been here 3.5 years and have yet to see one. One thing that surprised me about Tyler is I assumed it would have alot of bugs before I moved here. I grew up in Central Florida which is extremely buggy. Not so in Tyler. There are bugs, but not so much. Not as humid as I expected either having lived in extremely humid areas of Texas as well as the much drier Panhandle. All in all Tyler has a fairly mild 4 season climate with the occasional exception like last summer's heat wave.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Athens is about 30 miles west of Tyler, not south. I've been here 3.5 years and have yet to see one. One thing that surprised me about Tyler is I assumed it would have alot of bugs before I moved here. I grew up in Central Florida which is extremely buggy. Not so in Tyler. There are bugs, but not so much. Not as humid as I expected either having lived in extremely humid areas of Texas as well as the much drier Panhandle. All in all Tyler has a fairly mild 4 season climate with the occasional exception like last summer's heat wave.
Since you are being picky, it's actually SOUTHWEST. We're both wrong or maybe we're both right. And my property, which is NEAR Athens, is EAST of Athens, making it even MORE SOUTH of Tyler rather than west. Geez....

Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM

360 posts, read 1,088,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Since you are being picky, it's actually SOUTHWEST. We're both wrong or maybe we're both right. And my property, which is NEAR Athens, is EAST of Athens, making it even MORE SOUTH of Tyler rather than west. Geez....
To be 100% accurate, it's West/Southwest of Tyler. Now Jacksonville is south of Tyler. Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,630 times
I lived in the nearby Longview area for almost 30 years and I saw two or three scorpions in the wild that whole time. They're not something to worry about.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Just don't walk around barefoot, or leave your house shoes on the floor. I worked at a youth camp near Montalba (find that one on the map) for many years, and we had plenty of scorpions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler