Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM

14 posts, read 42,371 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
What do you think of the Cascades property in Tyler? Would you buy here, if so why and if not why not? Where should we look inside the loop? I have a small family, would like a big backyard atleast 4 brs and 3 baths.
How is the real estate market here? property value? taxes?
TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower1160 View Post
Hi everyone,
What do you think of the Cascades property in Tyler? Would you buy here, if so why and if not why not? Where should we look inside the loop? I have a small family, would like a big backyard atleast 4 brs and 3 baths.
How is the real estate market here? property value? taxes?
TY
The Cascades is not inside the Loop.

I'd look into the Azalea District myself. BEAUTIFUL area!

I miss living on that side of town.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
The Cascades would be great. Only four miles from downtown. Just "outside" the loop. I'm a former retired real estate broker. Still keep up with stuff as a matter of interest.

Yes, the Azales District is very nice. If the Cascades price range is the range you looking, then there are several, at least, areas inside the loop. The area behind Chillis on the loop. A small subdivision on Rice Road just North of Shiloh Church of Christ. Now, there are many homes scattered through out South Tyler just inside the loop, over less say, a 7-8 square mile area.

Is there a specific need to stay inside the loop? Yes, traffic is lighter. But newer and more areas are outside the loop. Such as Holly Tree, very large hundreds of custom homes. Stone Gate with beautiful acre lots. These two areas are no more than a mile or two outside the loop. Oh, The Woods is really beautiful - large homes with good size lots, really well kept, greenways, some gated communities within the sub. It is about two maybe 3 miles southeast of the loop. Several nice subs down Old Jacksonville Highway, but two to 5 miles outside loop.

Lots, of options more than this, but a good start. You do have a good number of options inside the loop, just can't think of the sub names. You would be well advised to spend quite of bit of time driving around and just looking for yourself. I steered you to upper end prices of Tyler, being you referred to the Cascades.

Oh, school taxes, are average in Tyler but county taxes are in the bottom 15% and Tyler City property taxes are the LOWEST of ANY city in Texas over 15,000 population and lower than most small cities as well. The city tax rate is only .205 per one hundred evaluation.

Now, really is a good time to buy upper end price homes, what once was 400,000 is 300,000 and 300,000 is 225,000 or so. Lots of choices. The lower end price homes never really dropped in price. But there is a huge inventory of houses in Tyler.

If I can help or try to help further, just ask or email me directly. Again I am not in this for money, not active broker. Good Luck, welcome to Tyler

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM

64 posts, read 144,404 times
Bump!
Any reviews for

Cedar trail apt
Hunters Glen apt
Bridges on Kinsey Apartments

I will be posting in other Tyler threads too to see any reply
Thanks
Google our friend places cedar trail on no.1

Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Hunters Glen and the Bridges I am familiar with, Cedar Trail not. The first two are older updated complexes most people have enjoyed.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM

64 posts, read 144,404 times
thanks

Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 AM

43 posts, read 163,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Oh, school taxes, are average in Tyler but county taxes are in the bottom 15% and Tyler City property taxes are the LOWEST of ANY city in Texas over 15,000 population and lower than most small cities as well. The city tax rate is only .205 per one hundred evaluation.

WHY ARE the property taxes are so low in Tyler compares to other Texas cities over 15,000 population?
Is it that the government is run much more efficiently? Less waste? Less services?
For example, Tyler has about 20,000 more people but Longview has 2 libraries, while Tyler, the bigger city, has only 1 library.

Is there a list showing where the various Taxes cities rank in terms of property taxes?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM

Here goes, 14 to 16 years ago. A small but vocal and well organized group caused and election to be held where the city could only use property tax and SALES Tax rebates to pay on city debt or city infrastructure and everything including fire stations and the like would be paid for only with cash available. Tyler tax rates went down over those years from around .70 city per 100 to where it stopped about 2 years ago at .20. The city is debt free no bonds and only spends as money is available. There is now a huge downside to this all or nothing approach - no new business and not growth for the last 3 years. Part of the loss has nothing to do with the use of tax money, about 3,000 jobs were lost in manufacturing. The city can't use any tax money to entice companies to move to Tyler which is done by most cities not attached to a major metro such as DFW which just grows because jobs are there and companies move there because employees are available just grows on itself. Tyler is finally getting a beer/wine election to bring in some tax dollars. Curious to see how this works out. Gotta go... could explain the spending of dollars for industry better with moer time...

Oh, Tyler really isn't missing much such as maybe another libarary, but new fire stations, police cars are replaced streets built etc, no problem that I can see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler