Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM

86 posts, read 199,081 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to create a thread to track different developments going on in Tyler so here we are.

Smith County Jail Expansion

The Smith County Jail is currently undergoing a large expansion. Construction started last fall and is scheduled for completion in August 2014.

Sources: Tyler Morning Telegraph - Coming Soon: Tour showcases jail expansion progress, http://www.smith-county.com/governme...d%20Budget.pdf

Fair Plaza Garage

They City is currently building a public parking garage downtown. This new garage will provide 384 new spaces for the downtown area. It's being constructed on a formerly vacant lot just south of the square, bounded to the north by Elm, the east by Broadway and the west by College.

Source: Tyler Morning Telegraph - Parking garage should be ready this summer

TJC Nursing and Health Sciences Center

TJC is currently building a new Nursing and Health Sciences Center that will eventually double the current programs amount of graduates. This new center is being built on the northeast corner of Fifth Street and Fleishel. Construction is expected to be complete in spring of 2015.

Webcam: Construction Camera: Tyler Junior College Nursing Building Project
Source: Nursing and Health Sciences Center - Tyler Junior College

TJC West Campus Energy Center

TJC is expanding it's partnership with Luminant Energy and will be creating new energy center on the west campus. Construction is underway and should be complete by spring 2015.

Source: Tyler Morning Telegraph - $7.56 million Energy Center to expand, add new programs

Tyler ISD Career and Technological Education Center

A new Career and Technological Education Center is one of several new facilities being built after the most recent TISD bond package was approved by voters. This center will allow high-school students from Robert E. Lee as well as John Tyler to enroll in career path focused classes in nursing, public education, business and others.

Source: Tyler Morning Telegraph - Tyler ISD board OKs designes for upcomng projects

The Village at Cumberland Park

This will be a new retail center on the northeast corner of South Broadway and Loop 49. It will occupy 80 acres and contain about 700,000 square feet of retail space. Some announced tenants are: Studio Movie Grill, Shenaniganz, World Market, DSW and more. Construction is underway and the first stores are expected to open in fall of 2014.

Sources: Tyler Morning Telegraph - Developers finalize Village at Cumberland deal, The Village at Cumberland Park

I will add more to this thread over time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM

Tyler PD Substation

The design was released yesterday for the new south Tyler police substation. It will be built on the southwest corner of South Broadway and Cumberland Road. Construction has not yet started and the station is scheduled to be open in 2016.

Source: Tyler Texas > News

Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,144 times
quietthings, thanks for your time posting development news. They're always the best threads on here.

I'm so ready for "The Village at Cumberland Park" to be open. I'm really curious how the traffic will play out between Cumberland intersection and Toll 49. I drive by there everyday and traffic seems to be getting worse as every month goes by. Do you think they will expand from 2 lanes to 3 lanes on each side? That probably won't help, maybe add a turning lane only. They better not add another stop light intersection (Which will probably happen anyway). We have enough of them!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
quietthings, thanks for your time posting development news. They're always the best threads on here.

I'm so ready for "The Village at Cumberland Park" to be open. I'm really curious how the traffic will play out between Cumberland intersection and Toll 49. I drive by there everyday and traffic seems to be getting worse as every month goes by. Do you think they will expand from 2 lanes to 3 lanes on each side? That probably won't help, maybe add a turning lane only. They better not add another stop light intersection (Which will probably happen anyway). We have enough of them!
You're welcome.

No plans to expand Broadway there, to my knowledge. There will be a new traffic light added somewhere in the area, I think at the southern Faulkner Park entrance/Market Square and Broadway intersection. Confusing as the traffic infrastructure may seem in Tyler at times, I'll say that this new light will be needed. There is going to be a serious influx of traffic to the area soon and it needs to be managed, rather than a free for all.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post

Cumberland Road will be extended from Faulkner Park to Old Jacksonville in the future. That should help some.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
You're welcome.

No plans to expand Broadway there, to my knowledge. There will be a new traffic light added somewhere in the area, I think at the southern Faulkner Park entrance/Market Square and Broadway intersection. Confusing as the traffic infrastructure may seem in Tyler at times, I'll say that this new light will be needed. There is going to be a serious influx of traffic to the area soon and it needs to be managed, rather than a free for all.

These were very good updates on Tyler.

Could you look up the recent, in the last week, write up in the Tyler paper, or otherwise find, on the new Jul's Restaurant on Old Jacksonville Highway. It's really one of a kind in East Texas, the owners went to Austin, New York City and L.A. I think, to combine all the features they have, which includes a 150 seat balcony for dining and another 150 inside area. It a Modern/Retro sorta place and large two story place.

Thanks, Mark

Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM

Where are the postings of all the new stuff coming especially the restaurants. Seen them in the paper, but forgot to post don't remember them now.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Freebirds World Burrito is coming to Times Square shopping center.

The new Neighborhood Walmart just opened up where the old Albertsons was.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Anyone enjoyed Jul's yet, it has live music on Friday an Saturday Nights, looks large with the outside area overlooking the large pond. Prices?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
These were very good updates on Tyler.

Could you look up the recent, in the last week, write up in the Tyler paper, or otherwise find, on the new Jul's Restaurant on Old Jacksonville Highway. It's really one of a kind in East Texas, the owners went to Austin, New York City and L.A. I think, to combine all the features they have, which includes a 150 seat balcony for dining and another 150 inside area. It a Modern/Retro sorta place and large two story place.

Thanks, Mark

Jul's is AWESOME! The patio is terrific - my husband and I sat out there a few weekends ago listening to a terrific jazz band...sweet!

The prices were less than Bernards but more than Outback, if that gives you an idea. We felt that for the ambiance and the quality of the food and drinks, it was a good price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: