Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 02:49 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times

Advertisements

I really dont understand why there isnt more of a push for the city to develop East and Northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 03:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I really dont understand why there isnt more of a push for the city to develop East and Northeast
Well, I don't know about north, but I do know that Dallas is west. Heck, my husband and I thought about buying some acreage between Tyler and Dallas - you know, Edom, Ben Wheeler, etc - and we finally quit looking because the prices were so high per acre. When we asked our realtor about it she said that is a popular area for people from Dallas to buy land for country homes, second homes, retirement homes, etc.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:59 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:

Never thought about it much, but, I would think the same resistance to expanding West and West/Northwest was that partly because T.I.S.D. schools in those area have been thought by SOME as less desirable than T.IS.D. schools that are in the S.SW.S.SE part of T.I.S.D.

Second, East is the OK Chapel Hill I.S.D. some industrial that would hinder residential. Northeast, you would encounter the T.I.S.D. school "challenge". A little farther N.E. is the Winona, I.S.D. I've been told that a small/powerful group in Winona, fight anything that would encourage Tyler "folk" coming out a ruining their peaceful rural area. From what I understand is true.

For all these reasons and others, is why Tyler has always, for the most part grown due South, with a little spreading out S.W. and S.E. Lindale I.S.D. has enabled the farther out, N.W. to develop.

Dating back to the late 1950's this has been the case. Tyler had a downtown square, really a rectangle, that was built back, that I don't know, maybe since the creation of Tyler, around 1850. But for sure, around 1930 the areas abutting downtown to the South, the Azalea District was built, the continuation building due South of that until this day.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I don't know about north, but I do know that Dallas is west. Heck, my husband and I thought about buying some acreage between Tyler and Dallas - you know, Edom, Ben Wheeler, etc - and we finally quit looking because the prices were so high per acre. When we asked our realtor about it she said that is a popular area for people from Dallas to buy land for country homes, second homes, retirement homes, etc.
Yeah, and I guess the reason Im asking is because in all honestly, how far can tyler spread west and northwest before eventually (a long, long time away from now) ending up being absorbed by the sprawling DFW metro? An hour and a half is far, but if Tyler's tentacles begin to stretch West, I could see Tyler losing its unique identity.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Never thought about it much, but, I would think the same resistance to expanding West and West/Northwest was that partly because T.I.S.D. schools in those area have been thought by SOME as less desirable than T.IS.D. schools that are in the S.SW.S.SE part of T.I.S.D.

Second, East is the OK Chapel Hill I.S.D. some industrial that would hinder residential. Northeast, you would encounter the T.I.S.D. school "challenge". A little farther N.E. is the Winona, I.S.D. I've been told that a small/powerful group in Winona, fight anything that would encourage Tyler "folk" coming out a ruining their peaceful rural area. From what I understand is true.

For all these reasons and others, is why Tyler has always, for the most part grown due South, with a little spreading out S.W. and S.E. Lindale I.S.D. has enabled the farther out, N.W. to develop.

Dating back to the late 1950's this has been the case. Tyler had a downtown square, really a rectangle, that was built back, that I don't know, maybe since the creation of Tyler, around 1850. But for sure, around 1930 the areas abutting downtown to the South, the Azalea District was built, the continuation building due South of that until this day.
Interesting history there. Thanks Mark.

I guess I just dont see why Chapel Hill & New Chapel Hill couldnt either be absorbed/annexed by Tyler or incorporated as an independent municipality the way say, the Memorial and Bellaire areas are in Houston. I guess it would add more sprawl, which would quickly spillover into Longview's MSA, so I guess its best to leave well enough alone.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Yeah, and I guess the reason Im asking is because in all honestly, how far can tyler spread west and northwest before eventually (a long, long time away from now) ending up being absorbed by the sprawling DFW metro? An hour and a half is far, but if Tyler's tentacles begin to stretch West, I could see Tyler losing its unique identity.
Well, it's about 90 miles to Dallas so I don't think Tyler is in danger anytime soon.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM

It's taken as late as 2010 when Forney, on I-20 East of Mesquite started to grow, not boom as Dallas's Northern Suburbs have boomed. Forney's city limits sign is about 5 miles or less from Terrell's city limits sign on Highway 80/I-20.

The Trinity River Flood plain east of Mesquite on 80 has prevented much growth east, but as Dallas has grown not too far from the Oklahoma border, areas to the East of Dallas have begun to "look" more desirable. However, Highway 80 only being four lanes plus feeders has also discouraged growth eastward.

One way of looking at it, as I have, I've actually gauged the miles from the city limits of Tyler to Terrell, about 60-70 miles, depending where you start and stop your markings, as to where you CAN say you've entered the metro DFW area. As Kathryn has said, no danger anytime soon before Tyler loses its unique identity, likely several decades before metro DFW encroaches IN A BIG WAY on Tyler. At present just retires mainly, that want to leave DFW are NOW headed Tyler's way, IMHO.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:44 PM

566 posts, read 391,069 times
https://tylerpaper.com/news/business...919789a52.html

Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 AM

Finally, okay?

https://tylerpaper.com/news/business...d663ce95e.html

Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Keep on Keeping on. Maybe someday.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/co...a4f7e4e6c.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler