Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 AM

226 posts, read 893,999 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to or lived in Tyler,TX? Please tell me how it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 03:26 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Just got back from 4 days in Tyler which is only 2 1/2 hours north of me looking at job opportunities. I absolutely loved the town.......clean, friendly, easy to get around, and my kids loved it (stuff for them to do). Unfortunately their pay scale is substantially less than I'm willing to take but I was impressed with their healthcare system (I was applying for a nursing position). Anything else and you'll have to be more specific in what you want to know!

Bob

Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 PM

226 posts, read 893,999 times
ok bob thanks for the info. I would like to move to texas some time in the near future i am from california and would love to get outta here soon. I visited east texas last year lufkin,nacogdoches, and tyler namely. our (my wife and I) trip in tyler was short though but I liked the city of tyler it looked like a good place to live. i am an air conditioning installer and I think it would be easy to find a job there. Thanks again

Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 31,789 times
I recently moved away from Tyler this past April after living there 2.5 yrs and I MISS IT!!! I've lived in several states from east to NW and Texas beats them all. As for Tyler, I felt a little concern over the balance of poorer vs wealthier people and fingers crossed for the middle class there and everywhere. The people are awesome! Having been raised in NY, I most loved the sense of pride without the arrogance or pretentiousness I was used to.
I'm totally unhappy here in Va, although very pretty state and hope to make my way back to Tyler soon.
Recommended before renting or buying, check your zip codes. 75703 is the best quadrant to live in. It's the southern quadrant and you will experience traffic because that's where the shopping is concentrated. No lack of anything here, but I felt the nightlife has tons of room for improvement, but worth the sacrifice for down home living.
I love to take scenic drives and totally enjoyed this feature, because just several minutes out of Tyler and you had more country, no traffic etc.
Before I moved here I was told the people here will treat you the same way you treat them....very true and as an ex-New Yorker I did not find this in other areas....I LOVE TEXANS!!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 31,789 times
Ooops, sorry ....I forgot to mentions some important things, got so wrapped up people plusses....Pay scale if very low, even for highly qualified personnel but cost of living very good. Lots of gorgeous home..love the brick that comprises the town/area...but restaurants etc very affordable. Stop into Armidillos and say hi for me!
No need for sushi...the catfish is great. Check out Vaugns also...$14.95 all the catfish and shrimp you can eat!
If possible, try to have a job before going. People with housing money, you'll find some awesome homes in the Holly Tree golf area and for the older well established homes you have the Azalea Trail.
Just before leaving they were finishing some brand new condos in the $120k range, side by side, ground level, brick exterior and were pretty nice. Only negative I have is pay scale...boo hoo.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
East Texas, in generally, is great. Beautiful trees and gardens, low cost of living, friendly people. I have inlaws that retired to the Lufkin area from Boston. They got a bigger house for a lots less money, the excess of which they invested and nicely supplements their retirement plans.

Possible negatives -
- If you have to have hills, don't look here.
- Some areas still have fairly racist segments of population, although this appears to be, in general, declining. Very specific to exact area.
- lower income, but this pairs up with lower cost of living.
- Not that there are not cultural acitivites, they are just different - town festivals and such are much more common. This is really related to city size, not just East Texas.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 14,041 times
Smile Tyler

I lived in Tyler all my life and moved to Houston 3 years ago. What you find in Tyler is probably typical of cities this size. There is "old" money that influenced Tyler most of the years I lived there but that scenario is changing due to changing demographics. A very large segment of the population is retired and came with greater wealth and power than the old money. I would suppose that the greatest challenge at this time is traffic. It sure doesn't look like it is going to improve much in the near future due to a recent Tyler City Council meeting where it was stated that there was no money for many of the suggestions to improve traffic congestion and what they have proposed will just have to suffice. This means no overpasses, underpasses, etc. It is true that wages are below average yet the real estate values continue to rise like many of the cities in Texas. Is it a great place to raise a family? The same problems we have in Houston are in Tyler, just on a smaller scale. The space between rich and middle class is wide. The less fortunate are not far behind the middle, like everywhere in the US.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 29,308 times
Default Love Tyler!

I live in Whitehouse,Tx just outside of Tyler. I have lived here 30 years. Everyone friendly and caring about their neighbors. Great place to raise children. Whitehouse schools are great with low teacher/student ratios. Very sports oriented community. Lots of golf courses and two large lakes with others nearby. Great hunting and fishing in this area. Lots of churches to choose from. There are 3 major hospitals in the area with all the services you could possibly need. Many doctors with varied specialties. Low crime rate. Roads are impoving with the opening of the new Loop 49 toll road to connect Tyler to I20 without going through the city. Beautiful rose festival and azalea trail activities for fall and spring. Old town style downtown with brick streets and stately mansions. Salaries are pretty low compared to larger cities but cost of living reasonable. I still drive to Dallas on occasion to work as a nurse for more money. Takes an hour to get there.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 31,843 times
Default Bye-bye Armadillo Bar and Grill

me! ""

Sorry to tell you this, Armadillo's has been demolished, torn down, as in no more. We don't know yet what's going in, probably another bank, but the great restaurant/bar/grill is now just a memory. Sorry!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:01 AM

130 posts, read 873,490 times
I know Tyler has some strange liquor laws!! I went to visit a friend in Tyler a few years ago. Went to get some beer at a convenience store. Clerk said they were in the "dry" part of town. I asked where I could get some beer, and he points across the street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler