Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,040,563 times

Advertisements

Oh for sure, I heard the same things from Dominicans, that going to New York was taking the easy way out. I just wish there wasn't so much division, it would help bring everybody up and instead of keeping them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,425,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Oh for sure, I heard the same things from Dominicans, that going to New York was taking the easy way out. I just wish there wasn't so much division, it would help bring everybody up and instead of keeping them down.
True

Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,358,173 times
Quote:
Easier than what back on the island?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 AM

59 posts, read 97,442 times
Quote:
To be honest, I'm sick and tired of islanders making some kind of massive distinction between themselves and Puerto Ricans on the mainland. Seriously? They are you, so deal with it.
Well let's see...for the most part, a huge number of the Fake-o-Ricans that are/were born on the mainland are ghetto and trashy. I, as someone born and raised in the island's countryside, refuse to get along with that type of trash. I have nothing in common with them (they weren't born in the island, for starters), and I'm certainly much classy than them. I don't have dozens of items with the PR flag plastered on them, I certainly don't listen to reggaeton (I despise that "music"), and I certainly don't live in the ghetto (I live in a suburban area, actually).

Those Fake-o-Ricas are not me, nor they represent me!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay12 View Post
Well let's see...for the most part, a huge number of the Fake-o-Ricans that are/were born on the mainland are ghetto and trashy. I, as someone born and raised in the island's countryside, refuse to get along with that type of trash. I have nothing in common with them (they weren't born in the island, for starters), and I'm certainly much classy than them. I don't have dozens of items with the PR flag plastered on them, I certainly don't listen to reggaeton (I despise that "music"), and I certainly don't live in the ghetto (I live in a suburban area, actually).

I'm from Carolina originally, and a lot of the Nuyoricans I came across in high school when I moved here (moved to PA in late elementary school) were shocked and surprised that I was from Puerto Rico. I had eliminated my Spanish accent by then and talked "white" and dressed "white". To them I was just another ******, I couldn't possibly ever be Puerto Rican . Whatever, they were 3rd or 4th generation American while I'm 6th generation Puerto Rican. I NEVER had this problem back home. My old neighborhood was about 90% or more colored, and no one ever gave me problems because of my race. That's what I love about us islanders. You're either from there, or you're not. No one cares if you're black, brown, or white. My family knows German immigrants that gave birth to their kids in PR, and they are way more Puerto Rican than these pretenders in the States will ever be

Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,040,563 times
The island isn't without a huge community of "cafres", I understand if people come across folks they don't want to associate with, but it's not like it's exclusive to Ricans in the US

Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,818 times
Quote:

This pretty much sums up why so many islanders despise "Plastic Boricuas"/"Fake-o-Ricans". They give Puerto Rico a bad image.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This pretty much sums up why so many islanders despise "Plastic Boricuas"/"Fake-o-Ricans". They give Puerto Rico a bad image.
Plus it's bad enough that if you're Hispanic, you're automatically assumed to be a Mexican, and we know how poor an image Mexicans have in the US

Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,425,956 times
Quote:

I understand your point, I hate reggaeton too, But reggaeton is from the island, Just saying...

Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM

10,163 posts, read 15,040,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Plus it's bad enough that if you're Hispanic, you're automatically assumed to be a Mexican, and we know how poor an image Mexicans have in the US
While this is true for most of the USA, I say there are many areas of this country where Hispanic doesn't automatically equals Mexicans. The NYC area and in south and central Florida are good examples of this. In central Florida Hispanic might actually mean Puerto Rican for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories