Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 37,760 times

Advertisements

very interesting .... i actually never been there but did alot of reading and been in other spanish speaking countries .. and heard that the peaple use the slogan what we dont do 2day we can still do it tomorrow ..so very relaxed .. so i do think thats why in countries like that stuff like bus delays are more common i live in tacoma right now and never experienced no bus delays .. anyways i love "countries" like puerto rico hawaii and such .... i think potholes , bus delays and such is just what u have to pay for to live in paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 AM

238 posts, read 1,071,286 times
And sorry Zimmerwit I am not from the Luquillo area.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM

355 posts, read 1,046,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
My verdict... uhh, ride mass transit as much as you can for the planet's sake (and your own wallet's sake), but the best choice you can make is to live where you work. So if you work in the heart of Ponce, live at a safe walking distance where you don't need your car for work.
I would love to do this, sadly this isn't easy in PR.

That's why I'm looking for moving to MA, good and convenient mass transit allows me to have more options on where to live and work.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM

11 posts, read 32,966 times
Two months from the island. Stoked!

Anyone have any updates on any of my original questions?

Any more advise would be truly helpful!

Thanks,

Charlie

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 PM

11 posts, read 32,966 times
Anything from anyone???

Please!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
i just noticed this group.

charlie, are you a spartan??

Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 PM

56 posts, read 153,016 times
Ugh, I hate MSU and all universities like that.
Anyway, here are my answers in bold

Living:

We are looking into living in the Fajardo/Luquillo area. We are looking for a two bedroom. We are looking at September, October, or November of 2010.

1. Are there any rental agencies to contact? Probably not, guy the three largest newspapers everywday and read the classifieds for rentals and also go on clasifcadosonline.com but the papers are better.
2. What is a good rental rate for the Northeast? Close or on the beach? Probbaly $600 to $1000/month
3. House or Apartment? House you rent like an apartment.
4. Any places to avoid? Public housing projects, dont go inside them, but right outside is fine.
5. What could we expect to pay in utilities a month?$70 light, $20 water.

Working:

I am looking to work as a Scuba Divemaster. My girlfriend is looking into restaurant work. Both of us are experienced bartenders. I may have to do both part time depending on income.

1. Any suggestions on Dive Shops in the area? Dive Boats?grab a bunch of tourist pamphlet at the airport or in a tourist area like old san juan or at the department of tourism.
2. Any suggestions of good restaurants to pursue? i dont know that area
3. What could a Divemaster expect to make a week/month? no clue
4. What could a Bartender/Waiter expect to make a week/month? no clue
5. How difficult will it be to find a job in these fields? probably harder for the divemaster cause less demand and lots of supply i bet.

Driving:

1. Any suggestions on where and how to find a used car? any car dealerships.
2. Any suggestions on car models? Truck? SUV? Sedan? get a used car, whatever you like really.
3. Car insurance? mandatory, comes with the car title.
4. Gas Prices? lower than most US cities.

Other Stuff:

1. As far as work and lodging, what time of year would be the best to move? Whenever you feel like, theres much much more tourists during Nov-January so i guess more business if your into scuba stuff.
2. Good surf spots? Where to look for a used surfboard? no clue
3. What to bring? What to buy on the island? bring cases of diet dr. pepper and diet mt. dew and give them to me, buy pan de agua (french bread) while its freshly hot.
4. Good places to meet people? Divers? 20 somethings? condado, isla verde, clubs, bars , restaurants, at night on weekends.
5. Is food expensive? Grocery store? Restaurant? no no and no.

Any other input on this move would be greatly appreciated!

If you ask more direct questions and you will get more direct answers from us on city data.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Any suggestions, advice, or chit chat here would be a ton of help to me and other people as well!

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,286 times
Utilities I would like to kindly defer.

I'd say $100 electricity and $40. That is what it is for me. We use air conditioning at night.

But user got it.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM

58 posts, read 138,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
Ugh, I hate MSU and all universities like that.
What? 100% Spartan blood...MSU is a great university.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM

355 posts, read 1,046,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Utilities I would like to kindly defer.

I'd say $100 electricity and $40. That is what it is for me. We use air conditioning at night.

But user got it.
davsot is right, if you use A/C only at night, you will end up paying something around $100, which is what I pay as well. If you do not use A/C at all, you'll probably pay something like $60-$70, this is what I pay during winter, when I don't use the A/C much.

If you plan on using A/C all the time, expect to pay over $150 easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories