Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 PM

11 posts, read 32,973 times

Advertisements

Living:

We are looking into living in the Fajardo/Luquillo area. We are looking for a two bedroom. We are looking at September, October, or November of 2010.

1. Are there any rental agencies to contact?
2. What is a good rental rate for the Northeast? Close or on the beach?
3. House or Apartment?
4. Any places to avoid?
5. What could we expect to pay in utilities a month?

Working:

I am looking to work as a Scuba Divemaster. My girlfriend is looking into restaurant work. Both of us are experienced bartenders. I may have to do both part time depending on income.

1. Any suggestions on Dive Shops in the area? Dive Boats?
2. Any suggestions of good restaurants to pursue?
3. What could a Divemaster expect to make a week/month?
4. What could a Bartender/Waiter expect to make a week/month?
5. How difficult will it be to find a job in these fields?

Driving:

1. Any suggestions on where and how to find a used car?
2. Any suggestions on car models? Truck? SUV? Sedan?
3. Car insurance?
4. Gas Prices?

Other Stuff:

1. As far as work and lodging, what time of year would be the best to move?
2. Good surf spots? Where to look for a used surfboard?
3. What to bring? What to buy on the island?
4. Good places to meet people? Divers? 20 somethings?
5. Is food expensive? Grocery store? Restaurant?

Any other input on this move would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Any suggestions, advice, or chit chat here would be a ton of help to me and other people as well!

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Last edited by zoomerwit; 12-02-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,345 times
Since there are not very many people who use this forum I'll answer the few questions I can (I've only been to the Fajardo area a few times).

Utilities on the island are significantly higher than in the states unless you live in a very cold state and are used to large heating bills. Water is about 15-20% higher and electricity can run up to $400 or more per month if you have an air conditioner. We do not have air conditioning and pay about $130 a month which is more than we paid in the states for electricity where we did have one.

Food in restaurants is a little cheaper than in the states (10-20%) but food in grocery stores is significantly more, especially dairy products. Some items are twice what they cost in the states. I don't know what the shopping is like in Fajardo but since you are nearer San Juan you may have a good selection. In Ponce there are many items that are hard to find, for example: skim milk, canadian bacon, paper plates (they only carry foam), decaf coffee beans, salsa, Grandma's noodles, blue taco shells, corned beef, some spices, cook and serve pudding mixes, pumpkin when not in season, muffin mixes, pizza mixes, Irish oatmeal, flax oil, hummus etc. When you come out for your premove visit I would suggest that you go to a grocery store and look for the items you normally buy to see if they are available and, if so, what they cost. Many online businesses will not send things to PR so you may have to have family/friends mail things to you.

I would suggest a small car if you don't need a larger one for your work as a scuba divemaster. I'm sure you have heard about how horrible the traffic and drivers are here and a small car is safer for the narrow streets here and easier to find a parking space for. MAPFRE is the insurance company we use.

When you come out for your premove visit try to go to places you would if you were living here rather than just the tourist areas and you will get a better sense of what it is like.

I hope this helps a little and that others more familiar with the area you are interested in will respond as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Just a quick general word of caution from someone who lives in a nearby territory. Don't take any rental sight unseen! Find an inexpensive place to stay until you find your way around and have an idea of where you'll be working.

Second, bring plenty of money to keep you going until you can start settling in - and have enough for a return airfare in case things don't pan out. Along with that, bring with you only the bare necessities - you can always have things shipped down at a later date but you don't want to be encumbered with a lot of stuff to haul around*and you'll find that there is much you can do without.

Sandhillian mentioned a pre-move visit and I hope this is something you're planning on doing. It's absolutely worth the expense to get a real feel for living as a local which is entirely different than visiting as a tourist.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
You can check out Solimar in Luquillo, it is one of the few gated communities there. Never had any problems and walking distance to the beach and to the El Flamboyan and the Brass Cactus. Lots of good people there. They used to have alot of american customers so you might be able to land a job there if you can speak spanish also.

Solimar has 2-3 bedroom townhouses in it, there are many rentals, I think we paid 1100 a month for a 3 bedroom end unit that was very very nice. There are cheaper units there also.

There are lots of surfers in Luquillo, you might find a long haired guy named Freddy down there, he can take care of finding anything you need lol

As far as cars, i found the bigger car has the right of way down there. used to you could get a good deal on cars because of the military guys down there rotating out, now witht he naval base closed I am not so sure whats available.

You have lots of shopping, Fajardo is just a few minutes down the road and they have just about everything there. San Juan is not very far either.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 32,973 times
First, thank you for the advice and beginning this conversation. Hopefully it will incite more chatter on this matter.

As far as the pre-move visit... kind of a debate here. I do have eyes on the ground there as my grandmother lives in the mountains of Luquillo. I also have cousins that still live on the island. I have been to PR many times as a kid, but not so much in past 10 years. Probably why I feel the need to get back to my roots.

As far spanish goes, I know some and can get myself around. I should know it but neither my fluent parents spoke it when i was young. I did get the Rosetta Stone to reinforce things and feel like I'll be ready by next fall.

I notice that $1100 in rent was mentioned. Do you think that would be manageable on a divemaster/bartender salary?

Thanks,

C

Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomerwit View Post
First, thank you for the advice and beginning this conversation. Hopefully it will incite more chatter on this matter.

As far as the pre-move visit... kind of a debate here. I do have eyes on the ground there as my grandmother lives in the mountains of Luquillo. I also have cousins that still live on the island. I have been to PR many times as a kid, but not so much in past 10 years. Probably why I feel the need to get back to my roots.

As far spanish goes, I know some and can get myself around. I should know it but neither my fluent parents spoke it when i was young. I did get the Rosetta Stone to reinforce things and feel like I'll be ready by next fall.

I notice that $1100 in rent was mentioned. Do you think that would be manageable on a divemaster/bartender salary?

Thanks,

C

We shared that with 3 of us, there are cheaper places in that area but we wanted a little more room.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,709 times
My response to this could become debatable issue is to bring along enough cash to help your initial accomodation, however still have enough on hand if things don't work out. I am a native islander currently living in NY, and I have to say that a Scuba diver salary will not be enough for you to survive in the island. As far as bartending, you will still be making minimum wage. Take this into perspective....I have a cousing living in the Island whom has a Masters Degree in Business Administration and Teaches at a very reputable private school and makes $10.00 an hour. It is very sad, but very real. The cost of living does not match the earning wage. You really have to hustle in order to survive in the island. IT'S NOT EASY!!! BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!! BEST OF LUCK TO THE BOTH OF YOU

Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM

34 posts, read 94,482 times
do not move around Sept-Nov,it's usually hurricane/tropical storm season so you don't want to experience that the first month or so that you'll be living there.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
I would check Playa Azul Apartments in Luquillo. They have studios and regular apartments. It is next to Playa Azul beach, which is a popular spot for surfing. Luquillo beach is 5 minutes away.

As for a car, see if the Army will sell you a surplus tank, preferably with a turret on top. That should help you with traffic. Basic car insurance is $99/year, but it doesn't cover much (IIRC $3,000) , so don't hit a Mercedes-Benz or BMW with your tank. Gas is sold by the liter, but on average, is cheaper than gas in the mainland. Water and electricity are expensive, but you will pay nothing for heat, so it should balance out.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 AM

177 posts, read 958,802 times
check craigslist for apartment rentals. personally i had good luck with these. Just post an advert that you are looking for a place and soon you will be flooded by offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories