Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM

59 posts, read 250,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwira View Post
I only have anecdotal eveidence but one of my girlfriends who was unemployed over 1 year, finally accepted a job, albeit at a lower salary, because she was tired of waiting to see whether she would get an extenson. I hope two of my nephews will do the same.

It's obvious that people need JOBS, not handouts.

And it's obvious your world does not equal the real world. Using examples of people you know doesn't accomplish anything unless you know everyone in this country.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 PM

169 posts, read 275,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Hmmm, did ya ever think about moving??? I see tons of jobs for nurses daily b/c I look too just to see what's out there...are you in NJ or somewhere else?
Hi yes i'm in NJ but my speciality is alzheimers..so i'm limited within my own profession..as for moving my whole family is here...my dad is 80..i recently lost my mom and brother who was only 48 so i cant leave my dad..hes getting forgetfull ...so i'm stuck..i'll find something eventually, i havent given up hope and i havent given up prayer..something will come and when it does the door will open for me...but my resume is starting to look like parchment paper lol

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM

29 posts, read 38,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddeyho View Post
Senate GOP again kills jobless aid extension - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20100630senate_gop_again_kills_jobless_aid_extensi on/srvc=home&position=recent - broken link)

But since Republicans Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine voted with Democrats to advance the $33 billion measure, its passage seems assured next month once a replacement is named for Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, who died on Monday. Democrats would then have a filibuster-proof majority for the bill.
If Snowe or Collins don't do the Lucy with the football thing, and back out by then. It wouldn't be the first time these two have conducted themselves that way.

If you live in Maine, don't take the pressure off. Mitch McConnel won't. He has had them both on the carpet and ordered them not to vote for the tax extenders bill. And they followed those orders.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 14,695 times
Quote:
I don't know what we can do other than provide welfare and food stamps. There will have to be massive tax increases to sustain this new group. There is nothing really wrong with that (increasing taxes), I just wish our politicians wuld be honest with us and tell us this instead of saying we are in a "recovery". Many jobs will never come back.
I can't disagree with your point, the delivery is probably the issue. The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.
Not everyone will qualify for gov't assistance. I certainly will not- I am a single 30 something woman, degreed, certified, no kids...I took the significantly lower paid job to ride out this insanity. Unfortunately there was a massive layoff last July. In 11 months there were few interviews. Even my local Walmart is not taking applications [they are fully staffed.]
Thankfully I don't have many bills, save some money and am creatively frugal...not everyone is as fortunate.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,528 times
Quote:
Recieving unemployment for 99 weeks is a handout. Let's call a spade a spade. The normal payout is for 26 weeks, anything longer is receiving extra assistance from our government. There is nothing neccesarily wrong with that as everyone needs a helping hand sometimes.
Yeah, but what you have to also remember is, people who are on unemployment get it because at one point, they were working and through some way, lost their job. So the "hand out" is really money that is given back to the people who have paid into the system for years. I mean, I've been working for 20 years. I can pretty much guarantee that I've put waaaay more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.

Not to mention, folks who get unemployment aren't saving that money, it's going right back into the economy. As Senator Reid said a little while ago, for every $ 1 spent on unemployment, a $ 1.90 goes back into the economy. I agree that at some point, they have to say "enough is enough", but I don't think that in the middle of a recession like we're having, it's fair to say "enough". Just my opinion.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM

306 posts, read 605,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
Hi yes i'm in NJ but my speciality is alzheimers..so i'm limited within my own profession..as for moving my whole family is here...my dad is 80..i recently lost my mom and brother who was only 48 so i cant leave my dad..hes getting forgetfull ...so i'm stuck..i'll find something eventually, i havent given up hope and i havent given up prayer..something will come and when it does the door will open for me...but my resume is starting to look like parchment paper lol
Hmmm, gotta love those confused patients, lol!!! Sometimes they can be the easiest, and other times they are the most difficult, hahaha...Are you north, central, or south jersey? Have you considered PA, don't know where about in NJ you are..

Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 PM

29 posts, read 38,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
Yeah, but what you have to also remember is, people who are on unemployment get it because at one point, they were working and through some way, lost their job. So the "hand out" is really money that is given back to the people who have paid into the system for years. I mean, I've been working for 20 years. I can pretty much guarantee that I've put waaaay more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.

Not to mention, folks who get unemployment aren't saving that money, it's going right back into the economy. As Senator Reid said a little while ago, for every $ 1 spent on unemployment, a $ 1.90 goes back into the economy. I agree that at some point, they have to say "enough is enough", but I don't think that in the middle of a recession like we're having, it's fair to say "enough". Just my opinion.
Fairness aside, it's just pure stupidity as this will ensure a double dip recession and people like the guy you are talking to will end up losing their jobs.

Now, some say that the minority party wants a double dip because it increases their chances of getting back into power. In which case it's not stupidity but pure economic terrorism.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM

for anyone on foodstamps, the dollar tree accepts them and they have frozen foods in alot of the stores...just a thought...i cant believe how resourseful i've become...wish i would have seen this train comming and i probably would have saved alittle more..but..ya just never know whats around the next corner...have a nice holiday weekend and just do the best you can for now...i'd be happy to share my dollar store hot dogs and rolls with anyone..so for 2.00 i get 8 dogs and 8 rolls...thats a couple of meals....and i still hold my head high knowing i've done the right things in life and i sure as hell hope you all do too cause NO ONE DESERVES THIS...well maybe murderers but we are supporting them too ...ewwwwwwwwwwww where does it end...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmarabianz View Post
You Sure About This? How Long Can You Collect This Cash Assistance?
How About Housing?

Another "Hand-Out" Dumbo!!!!

You Should Walk the Walk -- Or Fact Check!!!!!!
Yes in NJ you can get 140.00 a month cash and 200.00 a month food stamps and medicaid G...so if your benefits are stopped due to the clowns go to welfare and apply or better yet apply online..they are even 6 weeks behind though too..but once you apply your in the system...so do it now dont wait

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 14,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
for anyone on foodstamps, the dollar tree accepts them and they have frozen foods in alot of the stores...just a thought...i cant believe how resourseful i've become...wish i would have seen this train comming and i probably would have saved alittle more..but..ya just never know whats around the next corner...have a nice holiday weekend and just do the best you can for now...i'd be happy to share my dollar store hot dogs and rolls with anyone..so for 2.00 i get 8 dogs and 8 rolls...thats a couple of meals....and i still hold my head high knowing i've done the right things in life and i sure as hell hope you all do too cause NO ONE DESERVES THIS...well maybe murderers but we are supporting them too ...ewwwwwwwwwwww where does it end...
How close are you to Central NJ? I only ask since we have such a large elderly population around here with quite a few opportunities for good nurses who have rapport with the geriatric crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment