Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM

46 posts, read 117,547 times

Advertisements

I have my college degree in Math, I worked non-stop from 1987 to Dec 2008. I decided to update my education and I completed and on-line Bookkeeping course online and currently I am enrolled in a Quickbooks course. I am on my last extention which will end in November and than I become a part of the 99's.

I have applied to 200 jobs since January and have only been called for 2 interviews. Most of these jobs I could do in my sleep and I do not even get a phone call.

What are we suppose to do? How can our govenment leave us like this and what is going to happen to the economy when millions of people are out of work and without benefits?

I want to lay my head down and cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,661,443 times
I'm in the same boat, got thrown out in Dec. 2008. Will be done in Nov. We can only hope a job comes through, there really isn't much else we can do.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,055,540 times
I cry regularly.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 PM

15,903 posts, read 21,531,759 times
Every day.

Graduated in May. Had been looking in earnest since January, but had applied for several programs (Teach for America for instance) starting as early as October. I have been graduated for 2 months and in just those two months probably applied for 300 jobs. I don't have unemployment insurance and just had a really horrible breakup with my boyfriend of 2 years who I was living with. Luckily, my parents live an hour away so they moved me into their house, but my father is unemployed too. If my mother doesn't find a new job soon, I won't have health insurance in 2 months and as it is, I can't afford the mental health help that I need.

I have no means to support myself, no way to get afford a car to even do a part time job. I am hopelessly depressed.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,340,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post
I have my college degree in Math, I worked non-stop from 1987 to Dec 2008. I decided to update my education and I completed and on-line Bookkeeping course online and currently I am enrolled in a Quickbooks course. I am on my last extention which will end in November and than I become a part of the 99's.

I have applied to 200 jobs since January and have only been called for 2 interviews. Most of these jobs I could do in my sleep and I do not even get a phone call.

What are we suppose to do? How can our govenment leave us like this and what is going to happen to the economy when millions of people are out of work and without benefits?

Please ma'am...don't cry...or I will get upset...

Math is awesome...math teachers really impress me...

Please think of starting your own tutorial services...or such related business...

There's many things you can do with those skills...

Your way to gifted to not have work...think outside the box please...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM

635 posts, read 1,735,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post

My heart goes out to you. It's awful that our nation's bright people cant find jobs! That honestly scares the daylights out of me. I wish you the best.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 PM

148 posts, read 410,029 times
Don't give up hope. Just keep trying and pray. That's all any of us can do. I was out of work for 14 months without unemployment benefits and just found a job. Its about 1/2 of what I made in 2008 but 100% more than I made in 2009. I have no idea how many jobs I applied for in that timeframe; I stopped counting.

I know its hard but try to remain as positive as you can. Keep applying and hope for the best.

I wish everyone success in your search.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,936,508 times
i think the military is your best bet if you are that desperate.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM

46 posts, read 117,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

Why would a 46 year old woman go to the miltary? What do I do with my husband. What kind of comment is that - "IF I AM THAT DESPERATE" . I am lucky that I have a husband that works and we will be OK, but alot of people won't be. Yes I do want to cry, by no fault of my own I am unemployed and it is sad, I can only imagine if I had kids to feed how much worse it would be.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,718,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
That is a stupid comment. There are young people going into the military now who have NO business doing so.

They're not cut out for it, but they don't know what else to do.

They have NO IDEA what they're in for.

It isn't right for them, and it certainly wouldn't be right for middle aged people( who wouldn't be accepted anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment