Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 PM

91 posts, read 177,433 times

Advertisements

KSISPANI, I cry everyday. I cry at the supermarket as I'm counting change to pay for a laof of bread or just walking down an aisle and seeing something I want and telling myself, no, not here. Maybe the dollar store has something like it. I cry looking at my dogs wondering what will happen to them if I don't find a job soon. I cry because its the middle of the day on a weekday and I'm not at a job. I no longer FEEL like crying. Its become second nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,866,343 times
Not only feel like it but have, many times over the last 13 months.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,390,440 times
I'm usually pretty strong and try to stay positive. But 2 weeks ago I had my very first "2nd interview" for a job I could do with my eyes closed, only to find out a few days later I didn't get it. I lost it, cried on and off for a day, because at the end of this month the mortagage company will start foreclosure proceeding on my home. The person who got the job was decades younger than me and has way way less experience and at 60 it's devastating.

There already are millions who've gone their 99 weeks and I'm one of them, I'll be living in the cab of 14 year old PU truck soon....I wish you the best of luck with your quickbooks course and hope you can get a job with it.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM

183 posts, read 468,562 times
You are not alone I have been crying all day today. Currently, I am on state benefits but I am more than willing to accept any job. I don't want to go a year or two on unemployment. I have two degrees and have been searching for a job related to what I went to school for but haven't really had any luck. I'm willing to move out of state but of course most employers out of state probably won't take me serious. I'm so desperate to find a job I don't care what it is or how much it pays I just want a job.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 PM

46 posts, read 117,547 times
I just hope our Government does right by us. I just keep praying. Thanks for all the support and sharing your stories, you will all be in my prayers tonight.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 AM

11,354 posts, read 18,998,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Please ma'am...don't cry...or I will get upset...

Math is awesome...math teachers really impress me...

Please think of starting your own tutorial services...or such related business...

There's many things you can do with those skills...

Your way to gifted to not have work...think outside the box please...
Since you said you have your husband's income to help smooth the bumps that will occur with this, I think the tutoring is a good idea. I have friends who do this and there is a lot of demand for this out there. If you're a bit nervous about completely doing it as your own business inquire at your local Kumon or at Wyzant.com.

The next year is not going to be pretty. In November it seems that people ("the haves") are going to vote in politicians who take a "survival of the fittest" attitude. The long-term unemployed, more and more often former middle age and older professionals, are going to become destitute. Deep inside I don't really believe there'll be an "apocalyptic" scenario, but something good or bad is going to have to give. There's going to need to be marches on Washington, etc. to make the issue front and center or things like people camping out on lawns.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM

163 posts, read 713,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post
Why would a 46 year old woman go to the miltary? What do I do with my husband. What kind of comment is that - "IF I AM THAT DESPERATE" . I am lucky that I have a husband that works and we will be OK, but alot of people won't be. Yes I do want to cry, by no fault of my own I am unemployed and it is sad, I can only imagine if I had kids to feed how much worse it would be.

I feel ya. 47 years old here and I cry regularly about this mess. Every day, in fact. The day I was let go from my position my dad died after years of taking care of him.... I was let go at 3:45pm and got the call that my dad (who'd been in hospice for 3 months) was closing his life. I got there just in time to say my goodbyes and wait for the coroner to pick him up. That set the tone for the next year. So yeah- I cry, too. It's okay to cry...it cleanses the soul and keeps you human.

I've been through three cycles of layoffs in the last 27 years. Things always get better. Just keep your nose to the grind stone and grab any opportunity that presents itself. No matter what. Things will get better...........History tells us that and worse case scenario, you will find strength in it all and be much better equipped to make adjustments in your life in case it happens again.

I find it strange that after these bad bouts in economy, when things get better, the first thing people do is go out and buy expensive cars, houses, vacations, etc. They never learn the lessons... SAVE SAVE SAVE. I learned that the second time this happened in the 90's. Never again will I ever feel safe or confident that I will always have a job and things will be good....i.e., the 1980's (The era of excess). I'm not saying you do this- I'm just ranting at the silliness of some people.

Nope, not me. I keep my used cars clean, well-tuned and in tip top shape for as long as possible- In fact, I don't think I've driven a car for less than 13 years each. I have a reasonable house payment, low-budget clothes,etc. I still look great even if I buy second hand most of the time. I even shop at my .99 store (new to this area and FANTASTIC for good deals on cheap food, hair stuff, ect). It's possible to have a good life and not bury ones self in debt like so many do. If you all saw my house, you'd think a designer came in and did it when in fact, it's all USED. Craigslist, yard sales, and Salvation Army.....

Not sure how I got off on that tangent.........

Anyway- Cry, but then dust your self off and keep going at the search. The key here is persistence. The law of average - is likely to fall in your favor eventually. I'm getting calls now so that's a good sign.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM

183 posts, read 468,562 times
Amen Bette! I think everyone that has visited this thread needed your testimony. Thank you so much!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM

8,404 posts, read 13,547,471 times
Perhaps someone needs to form a non-profit organization, train a group to do some cleaning. All those who have caused all this nightmare, those living in wealth because they profited on others' sweat and tears, those who forced honest, kind, hard working people to lose their job, live in poverty and shame needs to be dealt with. No Judges, no courts, no juries.

I think it is time for a major cleanup, from head to toe.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,012,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post
I have my college degree in Math, I worked non-stop from 1987 to Dec 2008. I decided to update my education and I completed and on-line Bookkeeping course online and currently I am enrolled in a Quickbooks course. I am on my last extention which will end in November and than I become a part of the 99's.

I have applied to 200 jobs since January and have only been called for 2 interviews. Most of these jobs I could do in my sleep and I do not even get a phone call.

What are we suppose to do? How can our govenment leave us like this and what is going to happen to the economy when millions of people are out of work and without benefits?

I want to lay my head down and cry.
Oh man ... how I can relate (laying down and crying). Did that daily for so long.

Remember, November hasn't arrived yet. Anything positive can happen for you before or by then.

Maybe you can do something on your own, and build it up into a business.

For what kinds of jobs have you applied?

I truly wonder about these politicians, what kinds of hearts they have (if any).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment