Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,864,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post
Why would a 46 year old woman go to the miltary? What do I do with my husband. What kind of comment is that - "IF I AM THAT DESPERATE" . I am lucky that I have a husband that works and we will be OK, but alot of people won't be. Yes I do want to cry, by no fault of my own I am unemployed and it is sad, I can only imagine if I had kids to feed how much worse it would be.
On the plus side you're lucky you have a husband and he's working - there's lots of exhaustees who only have themselves to rely on.

I know it still makes you feel like crying, but as you say yourself, at least you have someone to cry TO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM

100 posts, read 292,028 times
Hey there. I hope I can add a little hope !
Math is in big demand, I know the Feds are paying bonuses for folks who go to school in Maths and Sciences, I got a couple grand in 2008.
There are also lots of programs if one wants to get a teaching credential in Math, you have to look them up, but there are grants, housing programs, all kinds of special things for potential teachers.
I am an English major. I admire you !
Though I could only work with the English classes, I was hired for 32 bucks an hour December through May for an after-school tutoring program here in CA. There are a lot of these programs though, all across the US. Not all are like mine, I just saw an ad here 2 days ago for another program for Math tutors. This was called an "Academy" or some such name. I believe they are known as "supplemental educational services." There are other "grant-funded educational programs," some you would not imagine.
We have something here called an "outdoor science school." Do not know the funding status lately, but they hire about now.
Also, a man in our town with a Math degree has an ad every week in the local quarterly ad glossy pamphlet-thing, and he gets good rates being a Math-only tutor. His business is growing and he opened a storefront.
This week as I was looking for more leads, I saw many private party ads from parents looking for Math-only tutors.
Lastly, I went to UOP and I would have failed Math if my friend had not found us a nice tutor who had a Math degree !
Best to you all, love and peace.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 AM

11,353 posts, read 18,988,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilady View Post
Hey there. I hope I can add a little hope !
Math is in big demand, I know the Feds are paying bonuses for folks who go to school in Maths and Sciences, I got a couple grand in 2008.
There are also lots of programs if one wants to get a teaching credential in Math, you have to look them up, but there are grants, housing programs, all kinds of special things for potential teachers.
I am an English major. I admire you !
Though I could only work with the English classes, I was hired for 32 bucks an hour December through May for an after-school tutoring program here in CA. There are a lot of these programs though, all across the US. Not all are like mine, I just saw an ad here 2 days ago for another program for Math tutors. This was called an "Academy" or some such name. I believe they are known as "supplemental educational services." There are other "grant-funded educational programs," some you would not imagine.
We have something here called an "outdoor science school." Do not know the funding status lately, but they hire about now.
Also, a man in our town with a Math degree has an ad every week in the local quarterly ad glossy pamphlet-thing, and he gets good rates being a Math-only tutor. His business is growing and he opened a storefront.
This week as I was looking for more leads, I saw many private party ads from parents looking for Math-only tutors.
Lastly, I went to UOP and I would have failed Math if my friend had not found us a nice tutor who had a Math degree !
Best to you all, love and peace.
OK I'm one of those "There are also lots of programs if one wants to get a teaching credential in Math, you have to look them up, but there are grants, housing programs, all kinds of special things for potential teachers." people, however I hardly got much in the way of any grants or even loans, had to use some of my meager savings. As for "housing programs", if your state (most but not all do) declares teaching math to be a "shortage area", you are given mortgage assistance if you relocate for your job, but that is it and it's not a lot of assistance.

That said, I can tell you from experience that right around the time the economy cratered and the teacher layoffs started, what you're saying about Math became a partial myth. I'll use my group (from last summer) as an example:

1) The year before our group, 11 out of 12 people got a job by the fall, and the 12th got one mid-year.

2) Our group was 13 people, only 1 got a job "outright". Two others also got a job, but for one his mother was the math dept. chair of the school he teaches at, the other was a long-time teaching asst. who was given a job a year in advance contingent on going through this program. Of the remaining 9 of us, only one has a job for next year, and it's part-time. I'm not one of them, last year I got a very temporary (last year only) 3 day/week "resource room" job for the second half of the school year (essentially "tutoring" throughout the day as well as 1 1/2 hours after school), which at the time made me the "most successful" of the remaining 9, if you want to call it that. Most of the "math tutor" jobs, while they pay a good hourly rate (I've generally seen about $20-50/hour), are going to someone's home for a couple of hours a week and unless you're lucky enough to be able to piece together a lot of those jobs, they will not pay your bills. If I don't have a job this fall, I am going to try to do that to supplement subbing (which I will be doing in 2 districts and possibly a third), but again, it's not very easy to get the amount of work you need to make it your "job". The demand is there, but so is the competition.

3) Yesterday I gave a speech to this year's group, so far only 1 has a job (and it's part-time).

Granted it is "easier" (relatively) to get a math teaching job than most other teaching jobs (especially if you're willing to teach in the inner cities) but it's hardly "automatic" anymore and it can take 1 or even 2 or more years to get it. And yes, if you research the teacher layoffs, a lot of them are art, music, elementary, and gym, but some are all the other subjects too.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM

92 posts, read 314,957 times
Unhappy I'm So Sorry...

to read what you're going through. I took a warehouse job that I absolutely hate solely for the health insurance...which ironically enough is destroying me physically so I need my HI even more now than I did when I started!

I don't know if you are on medications or not for mental health but I can tell you from experience please don't let that go...it will make any untolerable situation so much worse. I'm sure you're already aware of the alternatives...going online to the drug co. website for free/reduced meds, offering cash for drs (so many of them greatly reduce charges for not having to deal with insurance) etc., etc.

Good Luck...I'll be thinking of you.

Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Every day.

Graduated in May. Had been looking in earnest since January, but had applied for several programs (Teach for America for instance) starting as early as October. I have been graduated for 2 months and in just those two months probably applied for 300 jobs. I don't have unemployment insurance and just had a really horrible breakup with my boyfriend of 2 years who I was living with. Luckily, my parents live an hour away so they moved me into their house, but my father is unemployed too. If my mother doesn't find a new job soon, I won't have health insurance in 2 months and as it is, I can't afford the mental health help that I need.

I have no means to support myself, no way to get afford a car to even do a part time job. I am hopelessly depressed.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM

28 posts, read 95,023 times
I know its tough but we have to just keep pressing on. Atleast were getting months and months of help. Back in the day Unemployment insurance didn't exist. Some people are just homeless and hungry all there lifes. Remember people have it way worse in the world but still keep there heads up and have hope. If theres a will theres a way =)

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,701,326 times
I was upset when I first lost my job. I sometimes feel like sobbing when I read some of these posts. I am trying to find a job too but it is tough out there. Instead of saying what many others will usually say, I'll just say that there is no easy answer as to how to deal with struggling to find a job. This is such a sad situation for many people in this country who are struggling. I really feel bad for them because I have a heart. I truly care about others and I want to see them do well. It can be very frustrating to send resume after resume and get no calls or interviews.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 AM

Wow, I was going to try the Science Teacher Deal after I read about all the programs, but I see this may no longer be as great a program as it was.
It is maddening that in Henderson, Nevada where my fam is, they brought teachers from the Phillipines and gave them housing ! What is this country going to end up like?
There are a lot of tutor programs still ! I am dead serious about what I wrote regarding tutoring and the requests i see for Math tutors. If I had a decent living room I would start a tutoring school myself. Also these supplemental education programs are still looking !

Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 PM

11,353 posts, read 18,988,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilady View Post
Wow, I was going to try the Science Teacher Deal after I read about all the programs, but I see this may no longer be as great a program as it was.
It is maddening that in Henderson, Nevada where my fam is, they brought teachers from the Phillipines and gave them housing ! What is this country going to end up like?
There are a lot of tutor programs still ! I am dead serious about what I wrote regarding tutoring and the requests i see for Math tutors. If I had a decent living room I would start a tutoring school myself. Also these supplemental education programs are still looking !
In Bridgeport, CT they brought in math teachers from India, but given that it's not such a "shortage" anymore, they've stopped that.

As for teaching (as opposed to tutoring), the one area I think really still has "shortage" level demand is Special Ed, if one can handle that. For example, the NY City Teaching Fellows program, now a shell of what it once was, pretty much is solely for recruiting Special Ed teachers now.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Yes, I wonder are we in a Special Ed bubble? Will this system break down if things do not get better? What about the new insurance law and special ed?
I am going for Spec Ed Instructional assistant interview tomorrow, first permanent opening I have seen in several years. I have been in special ed 10 years, and I love it, I guess some folks do not.
There are openings for occupational, physical, and speech therapists a lot in our county. No teaching positions right now.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,722,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post
I have my college degree in Math, I worked non-stop from 1987 to Dec 2008. I decided to update my education and I completed and on-line Bookkeeping course online and currently I am enrolled in a Quickbooks course. I am on my last extension which will end in November and than I become a part of the 99's.

I have applied to 200 jobs since January and have only been called for 2 interviews. Most of these jobs I could do in my sleep and I do not even get a phone call.

What are we suppose to do? How can our government leave us like this and what is going to happen to the economy when millions of people are out of work and without benefits?

I want to lay my head down and cry.
I'm sorry. My buddy is in the same situation, rich just keep getting richer in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment