Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:47 PM

245 posts, read 958,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Unemployment is horrible. Since I got laid off in AZ, I can only make $265 a week on unemployment. It is tough to support even a single person on that kind of salary. I can't imagine how families are surviving. I would much, much rather be working.
I have to agree with you on this! I collect $179 a week with taxes taken out. My former employers were very clever. The last quarter that I worked there they cut my hours in half, I'm getting my UE based on that. I worked for them 2 years. On a Monday morning I went to work, they had their typical owner's lunch meeting (husband & wife team), they came back to the office like usual & they went back to their desks. That night (8 pm) I get a phone call from the wife. She tells me she feels terrible but during the lunch meeting they decided they needed to eliminate my position, they couldn't afford it & my health insurance anymore, no fault of mine, I was a great employee, blah, blah, blah. Later I thought about it & realized what a coward, she couldn't do it in person. She even had me come collect my personal things from my desk that she put in a box & handed me through a part way open door. I felt like a leper. I was so blindsided by that, never saw it coming. I became very depressed for quite a few months over it. I have applied for numerous jobs online & only had one in person interview. I have had to scrape to get by on this pitiful but thankfully little amount I receive each week. I've cut back on many things I took for granted. I would much rather be working. Humbling to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,180,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
I have to agree with you on this! I collect $179 a week with taxes taken out. My former employers were very clever. The last quarter that I worked there they cut my hours in half, I'm getting my UE based on that. I worked for them 2 years. On a Monday morning I went to work, they had their typical owner's lunch meeting (husband & wife team), they came back to the office like usual & they went back to their desks. That night (8 pm) I get a phone call from the wife. She tells me she feels terrible but during the lunch meeting they decided they needed to eliminate my position, they couldn't afford it & my health insurance anymore, no fault of mine, I was a great employee, blah, blah, blah. Later I thought about it & realized what a coward, she couldn't do it in person. She even had me come collect my personal things from my desk that she put in a box & handed me through a part way open door. I felt like a leper. I was so blindsided by that, never saw it coming. I became very depressed for quite a few months over it. I have applied for numerous jobs online & only had one in person interview. I have had to scrape to get by on this pitiful but thankfully little amount I receive each week. I've cut back on many things I took for granted. I would much rather be working. Humbling to say the least.

My job leaves a message or your voicemail rather than tell you face to face. I had never heard of that cowardly act

Old 08-01-2010, 01:13 PM

47 posts, read 117,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's probably a lot of people on UE just like you-"Not trying to find a job
theirs also a lot of unemployed where there employer says they will hire you back in X amount of months, and either
A. You get hired back.
Or B. Like me, they ********* and tell you they dont need you back now.

But i must say, UE at least in Wisconsin goes by your highest wages the past year, and lucky for me the year they counted i was working 10+ hours of overtime, so i actually get paid more on unemployment, then i did working 40 hours a week

Old 08-01-2010, 01:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by daterxies View Post
theirs also a lot of unemployed where there employer says they will hire you back in X amount of months, and either
A. You get hired back.
Or B. Like me, they ********* and tell you they dont need you back now.

But i must say, UE at least in Wisconsin goes by your highest wages the past year, and lucky for me the year they counted i was working 10+ hours of overtime, so i actually get paid more on unemployment, then i did working 40 hours a week

Well my job didn't tell me that when they laid me off because they wasn't completly sure. But they did end up bringing me back 6 weeks later and gave me a higher salary. So it was like being on a 6 week vacation because they knew they were going to bring me back as soon as they laid me off

Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,285,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Yes, yes ... PLEASE don't be choosy. This is NOT the time to be choosy. That's why I can't understand why 4 people just up and walked away from their job. When my friend told me that (those folks quitting their job), I was like, "Whhhhaaattt?"
I agree with you in a way that people shouldn't be choosy but at the same time not everyone is fit to do any job so they should make sure they apply to somewhere they can handle it.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 PM
FBJ

You can always be choosy when looking for a job

Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM

I read an article in the paper awhile back about how difficult it's been for so many people to find a job. One of the issues is that there are many people that are applying for jobs that they are over qualified for. The employers won't consider hiring them because they realize it's just a paying job they're looking for, something to do for now, until they can find something they are truly qualified doing. Looking at it from the employers perspective this is totally understandable. Why hire & train someone that you know will most likely leave you? Hire someone more suitable for the job & you have a better chance of retaining that employee.

Having owned a business with my ex way back when, I remember how exhausting it is to train someone for 3 months, finally feel like they're a great fit with the company, just to have them turn around & leave. Then you go through that cycle of putting an ad out there for the job, interviewing, hiring & training all over again. The business can suffer whenever this is done.

But, having said that, I know I have applied for many jobs that I am over qualified for because I desperately need a job.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM
FBJ

I never applied for any jobs that I was overqualified for when I was unemployed because I would have been evicted from my apartment-lol

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM

229 posts, read 574,609 times
You cannot afford to be choosey. I have an interview Wednesday at a dentist's office, which is a place I've never worked - have always been nonprofit, but, office work is the same no matter where you are. I won't have the job satisfaction of helping people, but at this point, who cares? Not saying I will get the job, I have no idea, but I am going to do the best I can to try for it.

That is what I mean about applying for any job. I am applying for jobs outside of the normal organizations I have worked in, but the position itself does not change.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
You cannot afford to be choosey. I have an interview Wednesday at a dentist's office, which is a place I've never worked - have always been nonprofit, but, office work is the same no matter where you are. I won't have the job satisfaction of helping people, but at this point, who cares? Not saying I will get the job, I have no idea, but I am going to do the best I can to try for it.

That is what I mean about applying for any job. I am applying for jobs outside of the normal organizations I have worked in, but the position itself does not change.
Okay...gotcha, I see what you mean. So yes, then I've applied for jobs within generally the same type of office work I've done before. Some of the jobs are more basic positions than what I've accomplished in my other jobs. I feel like if the company will give me the chance to learn & grow with them, then I can advance. But, I need to get in for the elusive in person interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment