Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,604 times

Advertisements

So how is it like? I know this sounds stupid. But i have to ask. I worry about what will i do if i loose my job. I will loose my place and have no where to stay eventually, no money eventually, I mean how would I survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
So how is it like? I know this sounds stupid. But i have to ask. I worry about what will i do if i loose my job. I will loose my place and have no where to stay eventually, no money eventually, I mean how would I survive?
Unemployment benefits. You'll have 99 weeks to figure out how to find another job. That's more than enough time if you're trying.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 PM

375 posts, read 1,144,028 times
The first couple of weeks suck - you either spend them getting around to all the things around the house or you mope. Then you buckle down and make (or revise) a budget. Figure out what needs to be cut (phone data plans, cable, eating out etc), and contact the ESA to set up your unemployment benefits. Then update your resume and get to job hunting!

It can be stressful and discouraging at times, but when DH and I were laid off (at different times) we made it work. Picking up odd jobs like retail or servers helps, and temp work can be great for plugging holes - even if its just for a couple of weeks.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post

It can be stressful and discouraging at times, but when DH and I were laid off (at different times) we made it work. Picking up odd jobs like retail or servers helps, and temp work can be great for plugging holes - even if its just for a couple of weeks.
If I were in HR I would immediately have sympathy for you and know that you are a hard worker.

What a few on this board don't understand when they say that they refuse to take work that is below their previous high standard is that they are slowly becoming very difficult to employ. Even if you are just waiting table, washing dishes, data entry, it's not exactly rocket science, and it's nothing to brag about, but it shows HR professionals that even though to were laid off, that you can, and want to take on the responsibility of working still.

If I were interviewing someone and saw that they had nothing on their resume for over 50 weeks, my question would be, "What have you been doing to keep yourself ready for your next career?" If the answer was anything that didn't include volunteering, getting an education, or working menial jobs I would rush the rest of the interview. If they were working in a terrible job, despite the fact that they were indeed qualified for much better work, I would automatically assume that they were extremely responsible and smart.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,522 times
if i got laid off unemployment would pay all my bills and leave me some left over

id probably chill for a few months, hang on my porch with my dog, grills some burgers and drink vodka

being UE sounds awesome now

Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM

245 posts, read 956,465 times
It's actually initially very devastating. I didn't see it coming & I was crushed to be let go (they did away with my position). I have collected UE but it's alittle more than half of what I made. Luckily, I think I finally have a positive job prospect but it's taken 15 months. I was lucky in that my husband's salary squeaked us by but then he became unemployed 5 mos ago & things have been extremely stressful & bills have piled up. When you become unemployed you can def check any ego at the door. There's a ton of competition out there & just not enough jobs to go around. Needless to say it's a very humbling experience.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
if i got laid off unemployment would pay all my bills and leave me some left over

id probably chill for a few months, hang on my porch with my dog, grills some burgers and drink vodka

It's probably a lot of people on UE just like you-"Not trying to find a job

Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post

well enjoy, it's us employers who cant collect and wont be around when your 99 week UE types run out of free living. me i' m working cause i have to so i can eat and my work history will look better than yours.good luck grasshopper

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's probably a lot of people on UE just like you-"Not trying to find a job
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well enjoy, it's us employers who cant collect and wont be around when your 99 week UE types run out of free living. me i' m working cause i have to so i can eat and my work history will look better than yours.good luck grasshopper
and apparently you can't read sarcasm when you see it - get a GRIP people

Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
The longer people are on UE the worse there chances are going to be. When I was at the end of my 6 months, thank god, employers actually started refusing to unemploy me because of the gap in my employment. Lose of experience was their reasoning.

So anyone on unemployment, that is skilled in programming or have certifications in the field. Come to the west coast. We have jobs for you here. Though you have to be open to java or C++. One programmer I met couldn't find work in silicon valley because he refused to program in java.Must really hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment