Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,582 times

Advertisements

Obama just let it be known today that he will veto any tax cut bill regardless on who it's for, if it doesn't include unemployment extensions. The links are out there regarding this. Posting from my iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM

180 posts, read 391,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
Obama just let it be known today that he will veto any tax cut bill regardless on who it's for, if it doesn't include unemployment extensions. The links are out there regarding this. Posting from my iPhone.
This is the latest one I came across confirming this. Still kind of vague, but a step in the right direction!

Obama Tells Dems He'll Oppose Tax Cut Deal Without Unemployment Benefits, Other Relief

Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
The channel 4 11pm news in NY City said the same thing......

Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
This is the latest one I came across confirming this. Still kind of vague, but a step in the right direction!

Obama Tells Dems He'll Oppose Tax Cut Deal Without Unemployment Benefits, Other Relief
Obama injecting his own last-minute posturing into the mix hardly seems like a hopeful sign to me. It adds more unnecessary complications that can't possibly speed things up but may well slow the process by proposing more unfunded spending that the repubs are already opposed to.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM

143 posts, read 225,136 times
McConnell optimistic on deals with Obama - Politics - msnbc.com

Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times
Two leading Republican Senators -- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Jon Kyl, (R-Ariz.), the Republican Whip -- said on Sunday talk shows that they believed they were moving closer to a deal that would keep tax cuts from expiring at the end of the month and extend federal unemployment insurance benefits.

Still unresolved is whether an extension of jobless benefits must be offset by spending cuts -- as many Republicans have insisted -- as well as how long the tax cuts would be extended.

US Senators See Tax Cut, Unemployment Insurance Extension Deal - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101205-703414.html - broken link)
Tax cuts: Lawmakers expect deal on tax cuts, jobless benefits - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/sc-dc-tax-cuts-20101205,0,4910675.story - broken link)

Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,582 times
What's sad is that eventually they are going to have to deal with the 99er issue. It's not going to be 2 million 99ers in a few months it's going to be almost 4 million exhaustees. They would be wise to deal with it now while it may be the best chance.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 AM

87 posts, read 142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Two leading Republican Senators -- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Jon Kyl, (R-Ariz.), the Republican Whip -- said on Sunday talk shows that they believed they were moving closer to a deal that would keep tax cuts from expiring at the end of the month and extend federal unemployment insurance benefits.

Still unresolved is whether an extension of jobless benefits must be offset by spending cuts -- as many Republicans have insisted -- as well as how long the tax cuts would be extended.

US Senators See Tax Cut, Unemployment Insurance Extension Deal - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101205-703414.html - broken link)
Tax cuts: Lawmakers expect deal on tax cuts, jobless benefits - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/sc-dc-tax-cuts-20101205,0,4910675.story - broken link)
In my humble opinion, the prospect of maintaining the unemployment compensation extensions is good. I'm getting the feeling that the posturing is coming to an end. Senators from both parties seem to be saying: "we all love Mom and apple pie and tax breaks...and u.c. extensions." I'm guessing this will pass by maybe Tuesday.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:51 AM

71 posts, read 144,196 times
Think Tuesday is too soon. And agreed I think they need to start looking at those 99'ers who may be out on the street in a few months.

So if they extend the UI for one year does that mean for only tiers 1-4?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
What's sad is that eventually they are going to have to deal with the 99er issue. It's not going to be 2 million 99ers in a few months it's going to be almost 4 million exhaustees. They would be wise to deal with it now while it may be the best chance.
Yup, and it's long past due, many of us have been 99er's since March and April

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
Think Tuesday is too soon. And agreed I think they need to start looking at those 99'ers who may be out on the street in a few months.

So if they extend the UI for one year does that mean for only tiers 1-4?
Yes, I'd like to see them deal with ALL of the unemployed including the 99er's, we worked real hard the last time when there was this issue of re-instituting benefits via phone, email and fax but we were left out. It's very apparent with the UI rate going up to 9.8 that additional benefits are needed. The last time we were promised help in the fall, well it's winter now and I think we all need the help now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment