Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM

644 posts, read 1,146,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
well yea, back in the day only the academically gifted went on to college. now anyone can go. those in older generations don't always quite get how different it is now
I had this one lady working in Sam's Club...she looked she was in her 40's. She told me, "I don't think that much changed in society." Oh if most older people were a college graduate in their 20's nowadays.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:05 PM

878 posts, read 1,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Yeah they push students to go to college without giving them the warning signs. I know before I went to college, nobody told me about the financial aspect and that's a HUGE thing about college.
Absolutely... and it's a plunge I'm glad I didn't take. In this economy a college degree doesn't guarantee anything, and in my case, I'm doing just fine without one... and the debt attached to it.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Absolutely... and it's a plunge I'm glad I didn't take. In this economy a college degree doesn't guarantee anything, and in my case, I'm doing just fine without one... and the debt attached to it.
The worst advice anybody gave me was, "Just go to class and learn...don't think about the cost/money."

Old 02-27-2012, 04:14 PM

13 posts, read 39,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's too many factors that come into play to have a blanket statement about having a college degree and having a job. The most obvious one being that "not all college degrees are equal". Followed by "not all industries are equal".
Yeah. I have a college degree. I've had it for 10 years, and enjoyed a lucrative career for 8 years of it. I have a BA in an arts related field, and entered the job market with a job based on my major. It's the only job experience I've had, until the market crashed and I lost my job. Now, nobody in my field of expertise is hiring. In fact, they're all going out of business. I am a smart, capable person who learns quickly, but I am competing for jobs "outside my field" with other people who have more direct experience doing those jobs. I can't even go back to school to learn a new vocation, because of being unemployed and being so far in student loan debt from my first degree. I have no problem getting an entry level job outside of my "career" and working myself up the ladder. Problem is, employers look at me as "over-qualified" and hire teenagers or college students instead. I am NOT lazy.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella rose View Post
Yeah. I have a college degree. I've had it for 10 years, and enjoyed a lucrative career for 8 years of it. I have a BA in an arts related field, and entered the job market with a job based on my major. It's the only job experience I've had, until the market crashed and I lost my job. Now, nobody in my field of expertise is hiring. In fact, they're all going out of business. I am a smart, capable person who learns quickly, but I am competing for jobs "outside my field" with other people who have more direct experience doing those jobs. I can't even go back to school to learn a new vocation, because of being unemployed and being so far in student loan debt from my first degree. I have no problem getting an entry level job outside of my "career" and working myself up the ladder. Problem is, employers look at me as "over-qualified" and hire teenagers or college students instead. I am NOT lazy.
Try telling some employed people that and they think our demise is our "bad attitude" and "being lazy."

Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
$60k in the aerospace industry. I dropped out of high school in '93, got my GED in 1994 and started my first manufacturing job later that year making $6 an hr. It's been all uphill since... doubled that by 2003 and doubled again in 2012.

No college degree... just a few weeks of tech training.

By comparison my former roommate makes the same 60k after graduating with his degree that includes $100k in student loan debt.

Ouch.

Yes it would seem experience is valued more over education... at least in my case.
You are an outlier and someone who has 100k in student loans wasted money if it was just for a bachelor degree.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,996,179 times
The scary thing is while those with degrees have unemployment rates only half as high as those with just high school diplomas, the college unemployment rate right now is not far from what the nation strives for overall.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,200,912 times
Default "You have a college degree, there's no reason you should be unemployed."

Often time coming from people without one( a degree).

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM

878 posts, read 1,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are an outlier and someone who has 100k in student loans wasted money if it was just for a bachelor degree.
Agree about the $$$ but I have no idea about outlier... LOL. I went to dictionary.com and still don't get it. Should I be offended?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,027,233 times
I think a lot of this is "all or nothing" thinking. Unless you get into a high-paying trade, a college degree will qualify you for many more jobs than not having one will. A lot of place weed out applicants without degrees. (I'm not saying that a degree is actually necessary to do the work, it's just necessary to get an interview. That's just the way it is). It doesn't require $100K in debt if you do it correctly either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment