Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM

26 posts, read 116,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
>Originally Posted by dennisdster
>i'm taking a look at the "REEMPLOYMENT AND ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT >QUESTIONNAIRE" that I'm going to have to complete at some point in the near future. It's pretty straight-forward,
>but there is one question:

>4. Lowest Wage you will accept to start work: Hourly Weekly Monthly

>that I'm a bit unsure how to answer. Can I lose my eligibility with a "wrong" >answer? (The pay rate for the position I last held was $43.97 an hour, but >that was a rate that started almost $10 an hour lower) If I put a minimum >wage figure, can they then insist I look for jobs at MacDonalds?

Ariadne22 answered:
Other posts put you in California. State is important on this issue.

Do not put in minimum wage. $30/hr+ sounds reasonable to me. I do not believe CA will insist on you accepting ANYTHING. Some states do, however, the longer you are unemployed. Wisconsin is one of them.

CA people should have good input on this. Actually, you should probably start a separate thread for this Q. Use CA in the title.

Per Ariadne22 I'm starting this thread; thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 AM

98 posts, read 847,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisdster View Post
Quote:
>Originally Posted by dennisdster
>i'm taking a look at the "REEMPLOYMENT AND ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT >QUESTIONNAIRE" that I'm going to have to complete at some point in the near future. It's pretty straight-forward,
>but there is one question:

>4. Lowest Wage you will accept to start work: Hourly Weekly Monthly

>that I'm a bit unsure how to answer. Can I lose my eligibility with a "wrong" >answer? (The pay rate for the position I last held was $43.97 an hour, but >that was a rate that started almost $10 an hour lower) If I put a minimum >wage figure, can they then insist I look for jobs at MacDonalds?

Ariadne22 answered:
Other posts put you in California. State is important on this issue.

Do not put in minimum wage. $30/hr+ sounds reasonable to me. I do not believe CA will insist on you accepting ANYTHING. Some states do, however, the longer you are unemployed. Wisconsin is one of them.

CA people should have good input on this. Actually, you should probably start a separate thread for this Q. Use CA in the title.

Per Ariadne22 I'm starting this thread; thanks in advance for any advice!
I'm guessing that it probably doesn't matter that much what you put down, CA will be so swamped trying to meet these REA requirements that it's unlikely they will be closely following up with you to see what wage you ask from your employers. Go with Ariadne's suggestion, it's low enough (considering what you previously made) to show that you are willing to "downgrade" in order to secure work.

I think that previously, the EDD didn't require anyone to accept wages drastically lower than their last rate until they were collecting Fed-Ed. At that point, you were technically supposed to accept any job offered to you that paid over $11.25 per hour, whether or not it was in your usual field. I don't know how often this was checked up on or enforced, though. Now Fed-Ed is of course no longer applicable, but that was where they got strict in the past.

The EDD just updated their site today with REA info: since they are almost two months late in notifying claimants who are eligible, it says that last week they began sending packets to people who have just transitioned to tiers one and two. As for people who became eligible in March (on or after March 25) and April, those folks are reportedly going to be be notified "over the next few months"...which doesn't make much sense, since the Federal regulations state that people need to attend these meetings by the 6th week of their tier one or two. So theoretically, someone who became eligible in March or April might not even have their meeting til they are knee-deep in tier three and almost done with EUC. Guess they figured they have no choice but to just jump right in with people who are newly eligible and try to play catch-up with the rest!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM

47 posts, read 149,809 times
I would think it only makes sense to put down the minimum wage for that question. Why would you want to put anything higher? I think there may be rules about accepting any job if you are on EUC.

I can't see any drawback for putting down minimum wage and you may get questioned if you put higher. I mean, what are you too good to accept a minimum wage job because you happened to have a higher paying job. That is the way I look at it.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
There are very compelling reasons not to put down minimum wage. If you truly wouldn't accept a minimum wage job, then the state can hold you to the wage submitted on that form. As in, you won't be able to argue that a minimum wage job is unsuitable for you based on your prior experience, training, and wages because they'll have proof on that paper that you agreed to accept that much.

EUC's suitable work requirements are identical to what be suitable under a regular 26 week claim. They are not more strigent as in the case of Extended Benefits.

Based on your past earings, you are too good for a minimum wage job. Don't sell yourself short. The unemployment rules don't require it.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 21,537 times
Hello, I am going through the same process. On the "Work Search Questionionnaire", how many jobs did you wrote?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM

They require three searches per week, so that's what I'm submitting. (I do many more than that, but feel no need to spend the extra time listing them)

Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
They require three searches per week, so that's what I'm submitting. (I do many more than that, but feel no need to spend the extra time listing them)
However, if you list them it makes the meeting go faster. I was called into this meeting when it was still done on a random basis. The guy asked me if I had my work search record for the month. I gave him about 7 pages of contacts I had made. He didn't even really look, just commented all was good. So, in terms of making it painless, or in getting the rep on your side if there is an issue or you fill something out wrong that could be an issue, showing WAY more than the minimum might be a good idea and may help.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
However, if you list them it makes the meeting go faster. I was called into this meeting when it was still done on a random basis. The guy asked me if I had my work search record for the month. I gave him about 7 pages of contacts I had made. He didn't even really look, just commented all was good. So, in terms of making it painless, or in getting the rep on your side if there is an issue or you fill something out wrong that could be an issue, showing WAY more than the minimum might be a good idea and may help.
That's really good advice, thanks!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
That's really good advice, thanks!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM

I had my REA meeting today, and boy, was it a breeze!

I got there about 40 minutes early, had already done all of the paperwork online and printed the required samples and a copy of my resume from the CalJobs site. They lined us up at 8:40 for the 9 o'clock appointment (there were about 10 of us there at that time) and started checking us in; the check-in consisted of checking your id, VERY quickly checking to see what paperwork you had, and then referring you to a work station to complete anything you hadn't done ahead of time. For the two of us who had everything already in order, all we had to do was complete a quick questionnaire and we were done. I left at 8:50.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment