Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM

64 posts, read 135,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Have you heard anyone with a reasonable explanation as to how in the world that has happened? I mean, you have one claim, you transition to a Tier, you still are one person with one claim. Can't imagine it takes much longer to transition to a new Tier than it does to certify and process benefits. When I was at my BYE it took the rep all of a minute to find my new claim eligible, so even if they have to check for new claim eligibility, doesn't seem to justify taking that long.
I do not have the answers, nor do I think any one person has all the answers to how all this happened. Things were a lot easier and quicker around the time I started on unemployment, just at the time of my last tier and BYE, everything started to hit the fan and even I started having a lot of questions and problems and it took a lot of patience, knowledge and help from Ariadne22 to straighten me out. I truly was a difficult and lost soul here at this forum. I finally get it, oh, yeah, now that there are so many changes going on! LOL!!!

Anyway, I would like to add on to Ariadne22 mentioning about going to your local NJ office. Personally, I truly believe that is everyone's best bet. The wait on the in house phones is a lot quicker (even a couple hours is better) than calling from home. And... you are at the location where you never know, might even see a rep in person - rare, but can happen). So, using the house phone, you will be connected to a representative that can take care of your needs quickly. In my experiences, when I deemed it "too much trouble" or "inconvenient" to take the trip to the office, I was on hold for sometimes a half a day, or told to call back later or the next day. If I did get through, there was no guarantee I was dealing with someone that actually pulled up my case, and fixed it. Quite obviously, by the response once, for example: " your name, verify this, that, and I will take care of it", good bye, and hung up sort of thing. OH NO...... either nothing was done, or I was given absolutely incorrect information. NEVER will I call from home again. It is worth going in person and using their house phones. I was put on hold a few times after I got someone to answer, and I did not mind, because while on hold, they were working on fixing or activating whatever it was I was calling about. By the time I left the few times I went there, I walked out with my issues resolved. Period. Just to add, there has been a lot, I mean A LOT of changes for NJ unemployment, and when there are changes, that takes time. It is what it is. Hope my additional input helps a bit. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM

16 posts, read 44,166 times
arcover1, for what it's worth, I called the Union office (201-601-4100) at 8:30 this morning and waited for 5 minutes. The rep looked up my case and explained exactly what was going on. She told me how to handle it very clearly, and at the end of the phone call she went over it again for me. It took a total of about 10 minutes, which is less time than it would take just to prepare to go to the call center office and get on my way.

Give it a try next time. As soon as I called I was told that the wait was 6-10 minutes, so it can't hurt to spend a few minutes calling when they first open up to see if you can get first in line.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM

ElecCon, oh, oh, oh thanks for bringing that up. I shared my experience and what worked for ME and if calling from home is a problem for some, then personally, I gave my opinion what the alternative would be and that it worked for ME. I had no intention of implying that was the bottom line solution for all! LOL!!! Thanks for responding with a positive experience that quickly resolved your needs. How lucky you were! It is not so for many people out there, not only in New Jersey, but in other states too. We just need to do whatever will work. That is why this forum is so valuable for unemployment issues, and to share our experiences and give people options.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecCon View Post
arcover1, for what it's worth, I called the Union office (201-601-4100) at 8:30 this morning and waited for 5 minutes. The rep looked up my case and explained exactly what was going on. She told me how to handle it very clearly, and at the end of the phone call she went over it again for me. It took a total of about 10 minutes, which is less time than it would take just to prepare to go to the call center office and get on my way.

Give it a try next time. As soon as I called I was told that the wait was 6-10 minutes, so it can't hurt to spend a few minutes calling when they first open up to see if you can get first in line.
The number you used is the Union office in North Jersey. Unfortunately, I can not give it a try any time. That number/ location can not be used from people in South Jersey. We who are in certain areas in the Camden County area, deal with the Camden office. Trust me, it would be a dream come true if I could call another place from home and get the response you did. Thank you Ariadne for that info. I am glad it worked for you! You will see I have 2 replies to your post. This is the second one when I realized that the Union office in in the North. FYI, my unemployment benefits are at an end. I have maybe a couple more deposits coming. That's all folks!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:52 PM

25,595 posts, read 56,612,928 times
Quote:
After a minute of typing she told me that I still have extensions left from a 2009 claim. I have $1,752 left in the first extension and I should be eligible for the other extensions after that, she said. I asked her if I was still unemployed when all those extensions ran out if I would be eligible for extensions on my newest 2011 claim that just ran out, she said possibly. Anyone know about that?
The timeline on your claims will not allow you to collect EUC on the claim expiring December 2012.

Assuming the original 2009 claim was for 26 weeks, you will be paid whatever is left of your 2009 claim benefits as follows:

Tier 1 - unknown because we don't know your weekly benefit - balance is $1,752
Tier 2 - 14 weeks benefits
Tier 3 - 09 weeks benefits
Tier 4 - 10 weeks benefit - provided NJ maintains a UE rate of 9%

There are approximately 28 weeks remaining in 2012. The above benefits total 33 weeks, plus whatever is left on Tier 1.

You will not exhaust the above BEFORE your bye in December 2012. Therefore, your benefits end when you exhaust the above or on 12/29, whichever occurs first. If Congress extends the UE legislation, you can, of course, continue with the above tiers. If you have been working while unemployed, you might be eligible for a new state claim after you exhaust your 2009 benefits.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM

My benefit is at the 2009 rate she said, which was $584, so that means I have 3 weeks left on the first tier of the extension. That gives me a total of 36 weeks according to what you mentioned in your post.

However, you are saying that (as it is right now) my benefits will end on 12/29/2012 no matter what? Is that correct?

I have not worked since I became unemployed. However, my base year for my current claim was only up until June 30, 2011. I continued to work until December 2011 when I opened this claim, I made a good amount of money in that time after the base year for this claim ended. Will that mean that I can open a new claim on 12/29/2011 when my extensions run out? That would be a few weeks after my claim ends (I believe that is what BYE means).

Thanks again for the help!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
However, you are saying that (as it is right now) my benefits will end on 12/29/2012 no matter what? Is that correct?
Yes. See FAQs: https://www.city-data.com/forum/23479399-post5.html

Quote:
I have not worked since I became unemployed. I made a good amount of money in that time after the base year for this claim ended. Will that mean that I can open a new claim on 12/29/2011 when my extensions run out?
No. Unused base year earnings are of no value UNLESS you have also worked while collecting benefits and have new eligible earnings of a sufficient amount to qualify for a new claim. I do not know the minimum amount of new earnings required for NJ - I think it is in the area of $2,300, but that is a wild guess.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-18-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No. Unused base year earnings are of no value UNLESS you have also worked while collecting benefits and have new eligible earnings of a sufficient amount to qualify for a new claim. I do not know the minimum amount of new earnings required for NJ - I think it is in the area of $2,300, but that is wild guess.
Just to clarify the part in red, the earnings that I am speaking about were not part of my base year, I made them after my base year, which is 7-1-2010 to 6-30-2011. Are those earning still of no value? (I guess maybe I'm just wishful thinking )

FWIW, I should be able to get some work with my Father for at least $2,300 or more, if that will help. It would be a 1 day a week for only a couple hours type of thing, but if it means being able to open a new claim, I'll definitely do it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify the part in red, the earnings that I am speaking about were not part of my base year, I made them after my base year, which is 7-1-2010 to 6-30-2011. Are those earning still of no value? (I guess maybe I'm just wishful thinking )

FWIW, I should be able to get some work with my Father for at least $2,300 or more, if that will help. It would be a 1 day a week for only a couple hours type of thing, but if it means being able to open a new claim, I'll definitely do it.

Thanks again for all your help.
Well, when you don't like the answer, keep asking the question until you get the answer you want. In this case, the answer doesn't change.

DID YOU WORK AFTER YOU FILED YOUR CLAIM? If not, NO NEW CLAIM.

Call NJ to verify the amount of new earnings needed.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, when you don't like the answer, keep asking the question until you get the answer you want. In this case, the answer doesn't change.

DID YOU WORK AFTER YOU FILED YOUR CLAIM? If not, NO NEW CLAIM.

Wow, I wasn't aware that I posted something that would set someone off like this.

I did not keep asking the same question, I was just trying to make sure that I understood everything correctly. As I mentioned, you said "Unused base year earnings are of no value" while the earnings that I was speaking about were not part of my base year. I was just wondering if that made a difference.

Again, I am sorry that I don't understand all of this as well as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment