Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 AM

16 posts, read 44,109 times

Advertisements

Last week when I went on NJ's UI website to claim my weekly benefit it went thru but it also said that my claim was exhausted.

I opened the claim on 12-11-2011 and I received 26 weeks of benefits, last week was the last. It did not say anything about receiving an extension.

Today I went online to claim this weeks benefit, hoping that there would be an extension. But I got this message:

Quote:
The remaining balance on your unemployment claim dated 12-11-2011 is "0."
No unemployment benefits are available to you at this time.

If you returned to work since filing this claim, you may be eligible to file for a
new claim after 12-08-2012. You may file a new claim at www.njuifile.net
I have not returned to work since filing the claim.

My base year for this claim is 7-1-2010 to 6-30-2011. After 6-30-2011 I still worked for months, up until December. I made over $35,000 during that time after my base year.

My questions are this: Why am I not receiving any extension at all? And will the fact that I worked after the base year (but before the date of claim) help me in any way?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,516,335 times
This appears to be an ordinary message due to exhaustion of 26 weeks' state benefits. NJ should be transitioning you to Tier 1. However, you need to call them to verify you are eligible for Tier 1 (some people aren't) and are in the queue for this process.

In the past, NJ had been very efficient in handling state to EUC transitions, with no gap in payments. Sadly, according to the the latest reports, that is no longer the case. This process in NJ now can take up to a month or more before you will receive benefits. Continue to claim if the system allows.

The delay is related to NJ's implementation of the new federal rules for EUC benefits. In the past NJ had been incorrectly paying EUC on current claims when, in fact, it should have been paying EUC from earlier claims. It appears the feds have put NJ under special scrutiny. So, now ALL EUC transitions are reviewed.

A normal state to EUC Tier 1 transition should occur with no more than a week's delay at the most - even with the new legislation enacted in February.

Let us know what NJ says when you call them.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Ariadne22, thank you for the reply. I am glad to see that you replied to my problem because I've been searching around and noticed that you are extremely well versed on this subject. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I am going to call tomorrow. In the past it would take up to 3 days in order to get in the call queue, the wait was always so long that the message would say to call back later and it would hang up on you. I will try calling 609-292-7162 since some people here said that has a shorter wait.

I'll post my results of the phone call, wish me luck!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Your other option is to visit a local NJ office. These have phone banks with direct access to a rep. You may be there a few hours.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your other option is to visit a local NJ office. These have phone banks with direct access to a rep. You may be there a few hours.
So you mean if I went to the office I would have to wait a few hours to use the phone to talk to a rep?

Crazy system

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM

92 posts, read 305,416 times
I think the problem might be that you said you claimed last week. In NJ you are supposed to claim every 2 weeks. I know it goes through if you do it weekly but the money from the next tier might not be there yet.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM

NJ now allows weekly claims. Many have been doing it. OP's situation is due to Tier transition. Of course, claiming biweekly would have given the system time to catch up. I am anxious to hear if this transition happens on a timely basis or he, too, has to wait a month as others have reported. NJ reps are telling people they are backlogged on the tier transitions. Odd.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM

I'll definitely let you know what transpires.

Altho inconvenient, I don't mind waiting a month as long as I know that I will get the extension. Those 20 extra weeks are very important.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,400,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
NJ now allows weekly claims. Many have been doing it. OP's situation is due to Tier transition. Of course, claiming biweekly would have given the system time to catch up. I am anxious to hear if this transition happens on a timely basis or he, too, has to wait a month as others have reported. NJ reps are telling people they are backlogged on the tier transitions. Odd.
Have you heard anyone with a reasonable explanation as to how in the world that has happened? I mean, you have one claim, you transition to a Tier, you still are one person with one claim. Can't imagine it takes much longer to transition to a new Tier than it does to certify and process benefits. When I was at my BYE it took the rep all of a minute to find my new claim eligible, so even if they have to check for new claim eligibility, doesn't seem to justify taking that long.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM

OK guys, here goes...

I called at exactly 8:30 and it said there was a 6-10 minute wait, that's INSANE compared to the usual 2-3 day wait. 5 minutes later a rep picked up, simply awesome. The woman was very nice and helpful, another welcomed change from what I have experienced in the past.

After a minute of typing she told me that I still have extensions left from a 2009 claim. I have $1,752 left in the first extension and I should be eligible for the other extensions after that, she said. I asked her if I was still unemployed when all those extensions ran out if I would be eligible for extensions on my newest 2011 claim that just ran out, she said possibly. Anyone know about that?

Anyway, she said to call on Friday to ask if the "reversion was complete" and if not to ask them to "send an e-mail to adjustment for completion". So that's what I have to do in order to get my old extension going.

Thanks for the help everyone! This is a big relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment