Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM

7 posts, read 19,111 times

Advertisements

I just received a yellow transition letter on the 13th which states the following.

New legislation requires that all recipients of EUC benefits must document their active search for work. Individuals who are receiving EUC benefits must:
- actively seek full-time work
- make a minimum of 3 employer contacts per week with different prospective employers.
- maintain a written record of there work search contacts.

What confuses me is what is stated after the above which is the following.

Recipients of EUC benefits "May" be required to produce a record of their work search contacts upon request by the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Failure to make a minimum of 3 job contacts each week and to produce a documented work search record, when requested, may result in the denial of unemployment benefits. For your record keeping purposes, please be advised that the unemployment week runs from Sunday through Saturday.

No where on this letter is an address as to where to send the work search forms and I haven't received any work search forms yet to send in so it appears that we don't have to send in the work search forms anymore on the Friday just before you claim the second week unless you receive a request. Can anyone else confirm this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM

64 posts, read 134,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magowin View Post
I just received a yellow transition letter on the 13th which states the following.

New legislation requires that all recipients of EUC benefits must document their active search for work. Individuals who are receiving EUC benefits must:
- actively seek full-time work
- make a minimum of 3 employer contacts per week with different prospective employers.
- maintain a written record of there work search contacts.

Recipients of EUC benefits "May" be required to produce a record of their work search contacts upon request by the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Failure to make a minimum of 3 job contacts each week and to produce a documented work search record, when requested, may result in the denial of unemployment benefits. For your record keeping purposes, please be advised that the unemployment week runs from Sunday through Saturday.

No where on this letter is an address as to where to send the work search forms and I haven't received any work search forms yet to send in so it appears that we don't have to send in the work search forms anymore on the Friday just before you claim the second week unless you receive a request. Can anyone else confirm this?
I can only respond by giving you my own experience in NJ. When I first started Unemployment, I got a letter stating the same as you. Shortly after, I got a yellow form in the mail that had week 1 and week 2 with dates to fill out. It's quite explanitory. I had to take that in with me to the appointment at the One Stop Center filled out with your work search information. This appointment is sometime in the beginning of your unemployment. DO NOT MISS THIS APPOINTMENT AND HAVE THE FORM THOROUGHLY FILLED OUT. I went to an hour class that explained work search, options, gave hand outs, etc. etc. then after that I met with a rep one on one who looked over my work search form. It was like an informal interview. This is only my experience there. She said I do not have to go back for any training or classes due to my work history and background, etc. That is unusual. Believe me. Even though I did not get any more yellow work forms sent in the mail, I still filled one out every week just in case, and I NEVER KNEW WHEN AND IF I WOULD BE CALLED IN TO PROVIDE PROOF. Do not get comfortable - ever. Don't pay attention to posts where you read people say that it will never happen. (And if it suddenly does happen? You can not make up any seaches, for if you go in person, especially, they will check and verify them). There are forms you can copy that is on the NJ Department of Workforce and Developement site. Here is the link:
http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/...rms_index.html the form is called: BC-514, Work Search Record I copied a whole bunch of them and dated them for each week. Now, even after going through all the Tiers, I still not only searched and filled the forms out each week, but kept them not only for proof, but helped me immensely in going back to re-apply or to do call backs for the positions I applied to, and kept notes, crossed off the ones where the positions were filled. (Handy forms!). Now, I finished Tier IV and am close to the end of EB, and this extention is a total different ballgame. Now, please remember, there have been a lot of changes since I started on unemployment, so this is just MY EXPERIENCE and what I know that worked for me. Not everyone is the same, or have the same requirements expected of them. I hope this just gave you some help in at least keeping records of your search for work, because you NEVER know when they will call or send you notice with a day and time to come in and you BEST SHOW UP. Good luck, hope this helped a bit.

Last edited by arcover1; 06-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: The link for the search form did not show up, even though I used the "insert link" icon.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:

Why is that confusing? Does the letter ask you to return the forms? If not, they don't want them at this point.

The operative words are "may be required." For now, keep a good work search log. You should have been doing this all along, anyway.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM

The dice.com website I apply to keeps record of everywhere I applied to in past 6 months to which I've actually applied to 441 jobs so I don't think there will be any problems with providing them with proof. It's just that the policy everyone else on these boards have gone through they were to send the work search form on the friday before the 2 week claim period. I don't want to lose any of the last 7 weeks I'm getting so was just wondering if anyone here is transitioned to this new procedure or not.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
It's just that the policy everyone else on these boards have gone through they were to send the work search form on the friday before the 2 week claim period.
You are conflating EUC with EB.

The only time work search documentation is required with a claim submission is when the claimant is receiving Extended Benefits (which is almost phased out in most states now, anyway).

No one, even now, is submitting work search forms for EUC benefits when they claim. They are taking them to REA meetings, but NOT submitting them when they claim.

You are receiving Emergency Unemployment Compensation benefits. Different program, different requirements.

Don't second guess the letter. It is correct.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 AM

98 posts, read 847,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

The only time work search documentation is required with a claim submission is when the claimant is receiving Extended Benefits (which is almost phased out in most states now, anyway).

No one, even now, is submitting work search forms for EUC benefits when they claim. They are taking them to REA meetings, but NOT submitting them when they claim.

You are receiving Emergency Unemployment Compensation benefits. Different program, different requirements.

California is being really weird with this job search documentation requirement...what we have to do is: if you certify for your tier 1, 2, 3 or 4 via Web Cert or Tele Cert, you just keep a log yourself as you should have been doing all along. BUT, if you send your paper form in (which I have to do, because for some reason the Web Cert and Tele Cert keep telling me my info is invalid) then you DO have to fill out the back of the form with your minimum of 3 contacts per week. This is proving to be very confusing to people here in CA, because everyone is used to only having to do that if the box by the question "did you look for work" is marked with an X. (this was previously only done during EB, which we don't have anymore).

What's getting everyone all riled up is that they are still sending the same claim forms with the instructions that say "if the box is marked with an X, write your job search info on the back" and none of the boxes are marked. However, we are receiving letters telling us the information I posted above, regardless of what tier we are on (so it's not just for the REA people who transitioned to tier one or two after March 25)

I'm supposing that they're not, of course, going to mark the claim forms with an X because people still have the option to certify online or by phone, and if they marked the forms that would mean everyone would think they had to send the form by mail. But if you do, you need to write down your search. I just did my first one today, I had 7 contacts for just last week alone. It sure was a pain trying to write in those little boxes, though

Last edited by MissMaggieC; 06-19-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Ah I didn't realize I looked back at the letter and it says it's Tier 4 I thought I was in a Extended Benefits transition because this notice didn't look like any of the other ones I received. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I read NJ is still doing Extended Benefits till Sept so I just figured thats what this was because the letter looked different.

Last edited by Magowin; 06-19-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaggieC View Post
California is being really weird with this job search documentation requirement...
Yes, each state has its own way of doing things. Which is why I keep asking people to give their state - because there is usually no one-size-fits all answer.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I read NJ is still doing Extended Benefits till Sept .
Nope. NJ announced today last EB payable date is July 7. Check their website.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM

461 posts, read 911,887 times
Quote:
Nope. NJ announced today last EB payable date is July 7. Check their website.
So even if you aren't even close to the EB period, you will be SOL when your tier 4 is exhausted? I ask because I have 10 weeks left of tier 1 and while I know I still have time before have to start panicking... I'd like to be prepared. If that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment