Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM

104 posts, read 261,285 times

Advertisements

What all are at stake THIS TIME!! Will they ever get together.....all will all be "up in the air again?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM

426 posts, read 1,909,510 times
I dont know I am new to this as well i have no idea if they are going to extend the tiers or not . Right now they have no plans to.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,398,718 times
At this point, there are no plans to do much of anything with the "lame duck" Congress.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
AP reported today neither party is pushing for extensions.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM

19 posts, read 26,738 times
bobtn - where is your link ? I found this link mentioning extended unemployment in it - what might happen is the extension will be part of the fiscal cliff bill they will start working on soon

Study warns of another recession if 'fiscal cliff' not addressed, Obama re-enters debate | Fox News

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 PM

19 posts, read 26,738 times
Just was reading through several articles from today about the fiscal cliff and they all mention that both parties are willing to let extended benefits expire at the end of the year - meaning only state benefits will be available - going to be alot of folks who are unemployed longer then 26 weeks starting in January going over their own fiscal cliff - and many other people and businesses are affected by this...........here is one of the articles :

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/fiscal-cliff-congress-come-reasonable-agreement-end-says-154138016.html

Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc55 View Post
bobtn - where is your link ? I found this link mentioning extended unemployment in it - what might happen is the extension will be part of the fiscal cliff bill they will start working on soon

Study warns of another recession if 'fiscal cliff' not addressed, Obama re-enters debate | Fox News

I'll look for it. I read it as a wire story in Tennessean a few days back. OOPS, jcc55's link is the story I read.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
If that happens, when and if federal EUC is finally reinstated, expect a two-four week delay after legislation passes before the states have rebooted their computers and are in a position to pay benefits. It is possible benefit payments will not resume until February or March, earliest, depending on when UE is reauthorized.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 AM

26 posts, read 42,130 times
Could they just approve extended benefits for certain states like NY and NJ who have very high unemployment numbers. They will not just end the EUC flat out, there are two many people at risk here. They could just say if you have been collecting since before 2011, you are out or so forth. I voted for Obama on the basis that my EUC would continue as he seems more sympathetic that Romney did. This is the first time that I switched parties since the second Clinton election in 1996

Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1977 View Post
Could they just approve extended benefits for certain states like NY and NJ who have very high unemployment numbers. They will not just end the EUC flat out, there are two many people at risk here. They could just say if you have been collecting since before 2011, you are out or so forth. I voted for Obama on the basis that my EUC would continue as he seems more sympathetic that Romney did. This is the first time that I switched parties since the second Clinton election in 1996

Theoretically they could, but I would not count on it, and I'd expect the bar for EUC to be higher than in the past, perhaps limiting it to just the states with the highest unemployment rtaes, like Florida or Nevada, last I checked.

Most political analysts have indicated it is the Dems in Congress who may in effect, end EUC,as they have prioritized decoupling EUC and the Bush tax cuts.

Decoupling them eliminates the votes required in either the Senate or Congress to pass unemployment EUC except perhaps for the states with EXTREME unemployment rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment