Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,228,128 times

Advertisements

I had no idea this was going on Florida...

Florida law results in more denials of unemployment benefits

Florida's tougher unemployment law requires those claiming benefits to report online each week five jobs they've applied for or to meet with a state jobs counselor. The law also aims to keep workers with job performance issues from claiming benefits.

Some unemployed Floridians and advocates for the unemployed say the rising number of denials proves it's too easy for the state to turn down claims with the new rules. Claims and job-search information must be submitted online; there's no telephone option...

Florida law results in more denials of unemployment benefits - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
It shouldn't be a surprise.

FL is one of the most "anti-employee" states in the nation.

The Gov. also wanted to drug test the unemployed and cut benefits down to less than 26 weeks.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,524,232 times
The same new law also reduced benefits in FL from 26 weeks to 23 weeks or as few as 12 weeks.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...mployment-rate

from link above...
The new law doesn’t affect Florida residents currently on unemployment benefits. Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, the number of available state benefit weeks is reduced from 26 to 23 and the number of available state benefit weeks is tied to the unemployment rate on a sliding scale. If unemployment rate is 5 percent or lower, for example, the number of available weeks is 12. If the unemployment rate is 10.5 percent or higher, the number of available weeks is 23.
The law also mandates an initial skills review for unemployed residents to qualify for state benefit. It also provides for registration with a one-stop career center for reemployment services and requires those receiving benefits to contact at least five prospective employers each week to continue receiving benefits.

Before the new law, Florida already had one of the strictest unemployment compensation programs in the country, said the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group for the unemployed. The 75-year national standard for unemployment benefits has been 26 weeks.
Florida’s unemployment rate is also among the highest in the nation, at 10.6 percent in May"

Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 PM

181 posts, read 306,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The same new law also reduced benefits in FL from 26 weeks to 23 weeks or as few as 12 weeks.

Scott signs unemployment benefit reduction bill - Sun Sentinel

from link above...
The new law doesn’t affect Florida residents currently on unemployment benefits. Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, the number of available state benefit weeks is reduced from 26 to 23 and the number of available state benefit weeks is tied to the unemployment rate on a sliding scale. If unemployment rate is 5 percent or lower, for example, the number of available weeks is 12. If the unemployment rate is 10.5 percent or higher, the number of available weeks is 23.
The law also mandates an initial skills review for unemployed residents to qualify for state benefit. It also provides for registration with a one-stop career center for reemployment services and requires those receiving benefits to contact at least five prospective employers each week to continue receiving benefits.

Before the new law, Florida already had one of the strictest unemployment compensation programs in the country, said the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group for the unemployed. The 75-year national standard for unemployment benefits has been 26 weeks.
Florida’s unemployment rate is also among the highest in the nation, at 10.6 percent in May"
I like the Florida's new law on unemployment. It should be the model for every state's unemployment program. However, they should add a toll free number for residents to call in for those who are without a computer or computer illiterate.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Scott signs unemployment benefit reduction bill - Sun Sentinel

from link above...

FL also pays out one of the lowest claims in the nation at $275 as a max.

Not a good state to work in. People are laid off and not even given any severance.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM

831 posts, read 2,828,864 times
I agree Florida is not a good state to work in, it's actually horrible. However, if you're unemployed I can't see why it's too much to apply to 5 jobs a week. That's not that much work. If you don't get hired it's not held against you, they're just saying you have to apply, and i'm sure you can keep applying to the same jobs over and over. Now the thing about only using a computer sucks, because some can't afford internet.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I agree Florida is not a good state to work in, it's actually horrible. However, if you're unemployed I can't see why it's too much to apply to 5 jobs a week. That's not that much work. If you don't get hired it's not held against you, they're just saying you have to apply, and i'm sure you can keep applying to the same jobs over and over. Now the thing about only using a computer sucks, because some can't afford internet.
Well there still are many people without computers, but people can go to a library and use one for free. Also, As I Know, most, if not all Unemployment Offices have computers that workers can use for applying, etc. for free. I think all states have this.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,931 times
Those without computer can go to numerous offices for assistance with job search and claiming 10 jobs in 2 weeks. However, just started the process here and it is a goat-rope!! Each job you apply for from Unemployment job site search, you are directed to the company's website, where you have to register...user ID, password, etc. I see why unemployment is going down and people quit claiming their unemployment....it takes more than 40 hrs a week to comply with FL requirements of 5 jobs, then going online to claim them (about 5 pages of this and that before you get to claim...and you can only do so on a certain day!) The website is a goat-rope as well! I am pretty good with computer, but this mess blew me away! Also, they use snail mail to send you any notications.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,121,489 times
I don't care for the 5 job/week search requirement.

I start with the premise that some of these people worked at the same place for 20+ years. They lost their careers, livelihoods, and idenities. The recipiency rate in FL is 19.3% meaning that only about 1 in 5 unemployed are actually getting benefits, and at $275/wk, it's a pittance to a former salary. I don't buy the fact these people are draining the state budget or abusing a program, but rather the state reduced SUTA taxes during the "good times," and are now trying to punish the unemployed for the state's short sightedness.

There is just NO way these 5 jobs claimants are applying for could be for suitable work, and are therefore being deprived of that right that comes from the Federal conformity requirments. There just aren't that many contacts per week for someone of a certain calibre. They are simply going through the motions.

Then the other downside is after a claimant starts applying for jobs below their capabilities, and then still don't get calls, or interviews, or even not get the job after an interview because there are just so many out of work. Then the claimant is going to go down the selfesteem slide, and that starts to show in body language, and just dooms them. Besides that, if those collecting are allowed to be picky choosy, it reduces the competion that the other 80% of the noncollecting unemployed face.

The requirements for a work search should be based on what does a reasonable person do when they want to change jobs. That reasonable person doesn't apply for just any job, but rather for the "right" jobs.

The employer that caused the claimant's unemployment is supposed to pay that cost for benefits, and if the employer doesn't like paying the cost, they need to make better hiring and management decisions instead of whining and lobbying to make it even tougher on the already disadvantaged.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM

878 posts, read 1,655,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL also pays out one of the lowest claims in the nation at $275 as a max.

Not a good state to work in. People are laid off and not even given any severance.
A common problem in the south. Georgia isn't any better.... the same high unemployment and max benefit of $330 a week.

Glad I no longer live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment