Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM

17 posts, read 55,190 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

[SIZE=3]My husband lost his job due to Hurricane Sandy. The company is now back up and running however more than half of the employees’ have not been called back and won't be called until after the New Year. This is due to damage that was done to the company and it won't be fixed until after the New Year. My husband's dept was hit hard and that's one of the few depts the company has decided to let go. He applied for UI and was approved. But now he found temporary employment cleaning debris after Hurricane Sandy. Once the temporary employment ends, would he be able to re-open and start collecting if he's unable to find work?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Maybe, maybe not. Depending on what the temp work pays, I personally think your husband missed out on the most wonderful Christmas break he was ever going to have.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance is different from regular UI, so hopefully someone knows how resuming it works. Because it's all based on a disaster, it's possible that once most of the damage is repaired, that the benefits end. It doesn't get invoked very ofter either, so there isn't much or any first-hand posts from people that have lived through it and made the most of it posting. All the posts I've ever read about it were about how it's supposed to work, and never about the reality which can be dissolutioning at best.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
If your husband's employer doesn't call your husband back before disaster cleanup ends, then I see no reason why this unemployment claim cannot be reopened. Hubby lost his job. Doesn't matter if the storm caused it. It is still unemployment. State benefits would be available for 12 months from the date the claim was opened.

You have such a mess in NY/NJ, I would imagine the disaster cleanup job could go on for months and months. I'm sure he feels better giving a hand. I've read it will take ten years to rebuild/repair. I doubt your husband will be unemployed at all - one way or the other. Either his employer will call him back, or hubby will find work in the rebuilding.

I feel for you people. Hopefully, you were at least spared the loss of your home. Although, the loss of a job isn't good, either.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Chyvan- thank-you for your reply.. I told him the same thing too. Take a Christmas break but he's one of those that loves to work and needs to work.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Adriadne22- Thank-you for your reply. Yes we were one of the fortunates that didn't lose a home and yes helping with the debris clean-up not only will help us financially but also make him feel good knowing he can help out. He was very upset and almost depressed when he found out that the job called other depts but not his.. And collecting UI I think would make him even more depress. So thank-you for the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment