Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM

28 posts, read 55,944 times

Advertisements

Ok,so I've come to the conclusion that we're nothing but useful trash to these corporations. It makes no sense that everytime we are discarded that we have to sell/pawn/borrow/beg to just make ends meet. In the meantime some government employee drags anchor for 6/8/10/12/24 weeks to give up unemployment 'benefits'. Here's my idea. Even after I find a job im still going to file and just report my earnings every week that way when the inevitable happens (cause it will trust me) you can file zero earnings and just have the checks come back in and avoid having some christ like government employee telling you your screwed and having to repeat this god awful experience. I don't know if this will work in my state of NC or yours but, it's worth a shot.

*edit* I know this forum is tough with the TOS so please lets keep the discussion civil and about my idea
Thanks!

Last edited by Formermgr; 04-09-2013 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,146,801 times
Nice idea, but the claim will still close in as few as one week and as many as two weeks when your earnings exceed your weekly benefit amount. You'll just be filing claims unnecessarily, and it won't speed up your reinstatement of benefits.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Nice idea, but the claim will still close in as few as one week and as many as two weeks when your earnings exceed your weekly benefit amount. You'll just be filing claims unnecessarily, and it won't speed up your reinstatement of benefits.
So if you claim earnings for more than two weeks your claim gets canned? Wow, im trying to work this out without commiting ui fraud

Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,582,190 times
As Chyvan has said, claims are closed after one/two weeks without payment. Depending on when you lose this job and the bye of your earlier claim, you could be opening a whole new claim, again.

If you didn't know, you might want to read this:

NC Major Changes: Halting EUC as of July 1; reducing max benefit to $350 (from $530); reducing max wks to 20, or less

Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As Chyvan has said, claims are closed after one/two weeks without payment. Depending on when you lose this job and the bye of your earlier claim, you could be opening a whole new claim, again.

If you didn't know, you might want to read this:

NC Major Changes: Halting EUC as of July 1; reducing max benefit to $350 (from $530); reducing max wks to 20, or less
Yeah, that stinks. I got to find a job. I want to say ive been doing a lot of reading on these forums and I have to applaud you and chyvan you guys or gals really know your stuff. However, here's an interesting question does that 20 weeks include back pay or is that 20 weeks from hopefully winning my hearing?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Changes to NC's state program do not occur until July 1 - and only affect new claimants, although it appears EUC ends for everyone on July 1.

Since you have already filed, you are grandfathered to NC's current state benefit program - even if you don't receive an approval until after July 1.

If NC approves your benefits, you will receive a monetary determination and weekly benefit based on NC's existing maximum 26-week program, assuming you are eligible for a full 26 weeks.

NC will pay you retroactive to the date you filed.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-10-2013 at 12:57 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Changes to NC's state program do not occur until July 1 - and only affect new claimants, although EUC ends for everyone on July 1.

Since you have already filed, you are grandfathered to NC's current benefit program - even if you don't receive an approval until after July 1.

If NC approves your benefits, you will receive a monetary determination and weekly benefit based on NC's existing maximum 26-week program, assuming you are eligible for a full 26 weeks.

NC will pay you retroactive to the date you filed.
I know this thread is bouncing a little however, how worried should I be with that theft angle that bunny was floating in my other thread with an alj hearing?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formermgr View Post
I know this thread is bouncing a little however, how worried should I be with that theft angle that bunny was floating in my other thread with an alj hearing?
Your situation was pretty much beat to death. I commented on that thread, as well.

However, you are in NC. NC is looking to cut benefits any way it can. You may need to undergo more than one appeal. Frankly, unless you are very convincing that the 53c was an oversight which you attempted to repay and was refused, you could be denied.

On the other hand, if you meet with a sympathetic ALJ - and because NC has very high unemployment - the ALJ may feel the charge of 'theft' is much ado about nothing.

I really can't predict - although if I was betting today, sorry to say. I'm thinking there is probably a 60% chance of a denial - especially since you are in NC.

However, don't give up. Go into that hearing believing you had no intent nor did you do anything to warrant a misconduct charge.

This is good advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You have to understand that front line deputy determinations tend to be much harsher than ALJ decisions.

Also, don't cut your case down. It sounds to me like you admitted to not paying, and are saying it's not misconduct because it's only 53 cents. That can sometimes work, but you don't have to do that. Make the employer PROVE that you actually didn't pay. Don't admit it.

Your case then becomes I didn't do what they said I did and if you don't believe that then 53 cents isn't material or because it was a 1st offense on a busy day it becomes excuseable as NOT misconduct.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM

I read chyvan's advice and was worried that I admitted to not paying in my statement that I made when I was confronted. Upon further review of my statement I said that it was likely I could have had a lapse and respectfully request to pay for my food. It doesn't state that I was certain I didn't pay. This brings me to my next question. If they have to prove I didn't pay for the biscuit would they have to have said proof on the day of my hearing or would the ALJ grant them some sort of extension to provide said proof.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,146,801 times
They have to be ready for the hearing at the hearing. They'd need a super good excuse for not bringing any video or witness that actually saw you do it as in it would be really unlikely they'd get a second chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment