Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:35 PM

920 posts, read 934,246 times

Advertisements

Hello

A co-worker sort off..well we shared one client who got sick during her shift and passed away.
No fault of hers. I have two clients, this is the only client she had.

She was offered another job within the company but it is with a truly crazy lady who is known to be very dangerous. none of us would want to be with her for $1.20 more than minimum wage.

She applied for unemployment but was denied. She is willing to work but not with the client they offered and that is the only position open now. Should she appeal, if so, on what grounds?

My Client has severe breathing issues and is on oxygen. She is in desperate need of a cpap but insurance has been denying her after waiting almost a year. I could be in the same position in a few years or so, I cannot see how she can survive long gasping for air all night. The periods of time she is not breathing is now up to 40 seconds, it's called sleep apnea. She is mildly retarded. But there is one other company in sac I could apply with, my co-worker doesn't have a ride down that far (45 min away) so cannot just apply with a company who is similar (supportive living services) and she is older, about 55

I have 48 hrs a week and we have a family business I work...so I offered her 8 of my hours but it won't pay her bills. Her unemployment is more than this

Thanks for any input

Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
That's kind of like a cop saying "I'm willing to work, but not arrest anyone as it's a hassle"...

The job denotes what you have to do.

If she IS truly dangerous, then call the cops. If it's "Not that dangerous" then she has no good reason to refuse.

BTW Do you have actual experience with this woman or just hearsay? I knew some who could be "Off" but with their meds in hand, they were tight.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:18 PM

34,100 posts, read 17,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal;40746278

[B
...so I offered her 8 of my hours but it won't pay her bills. Her unemployment is more than this[/b]

Thanks for any input
Her unemployment is not more than 8 hours pay, as it is $0 -she was denied.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Her unemployment is not more than 8 hours pay, as it is $0 -she was denied.
I offered her 8 hours a week of my hours, which amounts to $96 a week or $384 a month paycheck. We are paid to sleep 8 hrs also but get up if the Clients do. Most sleep thru the night.

Prior, she worked 36 hrs a week. She will also loose her health and dental plan

I've never been on unemployment but she says if she got unemployment... it would be more than $96 a week. She must be wrong then about that? Thanks so much by the way

We usually get new Clients every so often, so she'd not likely to be on unemployment that terribly long

I believe over 50% of the Clients in the town we work...all or most came from the Mental Institution our Governor shut down a few years ago. I suppose you could consider most of the clients dangerous to themselves or others as they have that history...most... but if they are kept calm and paid attention to, one on one, have a friend, they hopefully go off. Most are doing very well much of the time, At least from what i understand of my Supervisors opinion. It's cheaper for the taxpayers too

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 08-08-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 10:29 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times
It's hard enough getting details from the denied claimant let alone with you acting as a go between. If she's not inclined to get help with her UI situation, then she must not want it very bad.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
It's hard enough getting details from the denied claimant let alone with you acting as a go between. If she's not inclined to get help with her UI situation, then she must not want it very bad.
I am posting on a forum. I am not a go between in this circumstance.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
I offered her 8 hours a week of my hours, which amounts to $96 a week or $384 a month paycheck. We are paid to sleep 8 hrs also but get up if the Clients do. Most sleep thru the night.

Prior, she worked 36 hrs a week. She will also loose her health and dental plan

I've never been on unemployment but she says if she got unemployment... it would be more than $96 a week. She must be wrong then about that? Thanks so much by the way

So can you offer it again? UI turned out to be $0 for her, and even she'd agree $96 is more then $0.

She needs to get over the fantasy of collecting unemployment after being denied.

PS: If , by some miracle, she eventually got UI decision reversed, the $96 would reduce what she would collect..by less than $96. It would not be a net loss for her.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
So can you offer it again? UI turned out to be $0 for her, and even she'd agree $96 is more then $0. She needs to get over the fantasy of collecting unemployment after being denied. PS: If , by some miracle, she eventually got UI decision reversed, the $96 would reduce what she would collect..by less than $96. It would not be a net loss for her.
Interesting...thank you again. Yes I can offer her my 8 hrs a week again. It's nice to know she will likely take it considering your info bolded above. It will give me more time to work our family business.
Our Supervisor no doubt, wants to keep her on so would be happy to re-arrange our schedules. I appreciate you time in answering this.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times
Quote:
I am not a go between in this circumstance.
I want to hear directly from her what happened. Not from you. UI doesn't work on hearsay. She was probably denied because it looks like she quit when she refused to handle the difficult patient.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Interesting...thank you again. Yes I can offer her my 8 hrs a week again. It's nice to know she will likely take it considering your info bolded above. It will give me more time to work our family business.
Our Supervisor no doubt, wants to keep her on so would be happy to re-arrange our schedules. I appreciate you time in answering this.
No problem. Staying employed also will, hopefully, keep her in the consideration for future clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment